LaunchBox Community Forums

Honest opinion needed

y2guru

I like the button concept but the border would be better if it matched an accent color from the actual logo so like the Daphne one would have a yellow border the 32X would have a red Dreamcast and orange/reddish but that would be a shit ton of extra work. I don't know that is just my opinion the black border doesn't work with everything to me

@CriticalCid  Hey Cid! long time... quickie question... the overflow control used for the platform view (view 3 i believe) is there a specific png dimension that the graphics should adhere to ? I'm using rounded png's for the theme but i have to set the spacing to 1.6 otherwise anything less than that will create graphical clipping.  I figured i would ask you as you build the themes and I'm sure you've messed around with various settings.   In the meantime, I'm going to look at the game views and see what settings they use.

On 10/22/2017 at 2:03 PM, lordmonkus said:

I actually prefer the same colour border since it identifies them as buttons and they look unified.

When I see wheel buttons that have different coloured borders it looks wrong to me.

But this is all personal preference of course.

i second this. I like them as is. awesome work mate :)

14 hours ago, y2guru said:

@CriticalCid  Hey Cid! long time... quickie question... the overflow control used for the platform view (view 3 i believe) is there a specific png dimension that the graphics should adhere to ? I'm using rounded png's for the theme but i have to set the spacing to 1.6 otherwise anything less than that will create graphical clipping.  I figured i would ask you as you build the themes and I'm sure you've messed around with various settings.   In the meantime, I'm going to look at the game views and see what settings they use.

I hadn’t specific dimensions in mind when I created the theme. I just tinkered around with the sizes/spacing until they fitted for all popular wheel sets that I had at that time (Default Clear Logos, SilverRing, Crylen and Zombeaver’s set). You could try out the aspect ratios of one of these sets and see if it works for you.

Just tried some of these out on different themes and they do look very good. I may transition to this style. I do likey!

My only recommendation would be not making the ring transparent. On some videos that transition in under the logo you get a fuzzy halo with the colors of the video bleeding through the ring. I was curious why so I opened the .png in Photoshop and that's when I saw you have the ring as transparent. If the image below is black you cannot tell. 

Thanks for the feedback!  I personally like the transparent ring on the theme I’m using (light grey background)  but I get what you are saying.   I actually want to replace the silver ring anyway as the one I’m using has been up scaled and looks a little rough, so with that said I’ll find 2 new rings:  transparent and solid

12 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Just tried some of these out on different themes and they do look very good. I may transition to this style. I do likey!

My only recommendation would be not making the ring transparent. On some videos that transition in under the logo you get a fuzzy halo with the colors of the video bleeding through the ring. I was curious why so I opened the .png in Photoshop and that's when I saw you have the ring as transparent. If the image below is black you cannot tell. 

hows this? it hasn't been framed correctly so the subtle outer shadow is cut off, but if you like it i will proceed with the changes with the correct framing etc..59effad1679a5_SonyPlaystation.thumb.png.e95dcad9baa4c925025588fe62f5bb5a.png

Edited by y2guru
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, y2guru said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I personally like the transparent ring on the theme I’m using (light grey background)  but I get what you are saying.   I actually want to replace the silver ring anyway as the one I’m using has been up scaled and looks a little rough, so with that said I’ll find 2 new rings:  transparent and solid

or this? and framed!

Arcade.png

• Like 1