LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommendation Cores/Emulators

CoOlokey

9 minutes ago, Nocta said:

It does quit Citra if I hit either Ctrl+Q or Alt+F4.
The new script you just gave me doesnt solve the problem but instead gives me an error message at launch. ?

Man not sure what to say. Citra closes just fine for me without needing an AHK. It also closes if I use any of the ones provided. Even an AHK to send F11 for fullscreen works.

Are you on the most current Citra version?

3 minutes ago, Nocta said:

Yes, on the latest "normal" release. Thank you for your help in any case. ?

No worries. Sorry I did not really have a solution.

In Citra's configuration under General do you have the box for Confirm Exit unchecked? This should not make a difference since you said Alt+F4 and Ctrl+Q closed Citra but just wanted to check.

Thx @Retro808 for the comment about Control + Q for exiting Citra.  I forgot about that.  @Nocta try using the following simple script:

$Esc::
Send, ^q

Note: take out the part about F11 to make it full screen.  It seems that having to press F11 to go full screen, that I was using before, was just a side affect of my forcing it closed.  If you're in full screen and close it properly with Control + Q it retains the fullscreen on next launch.  So, for the first time, just press F11 if you're not in full screen, then next time you exit properly it will retain that. 

FYI, I also could not get the Send ^Q exit script that Retro808 posted above to work either, but the Send, ^q that I just put here works fine for me.

Hope this helps,
CDBlue

Edited by CDBlue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RPCS3 is as easy to setup as any other emulator.  My biggest problem with it, at least from the last time I used it anyway, it uses up high CPU usage... near 100% on all cores if I recall.  So, unless you have a really good after-market cooler on your CPU it might get super hot and shut down your system or potentially cause damage if you're not careful/monitor temps on your CPU.  Here's a good setup guide on youtube for RPCS3:

Edited by CDBlue

• 1 month later...

I would assume if the zip file contains only one file (for example only the *.cdi or *.gdi) then it's fine to leave it in the .zip, but make sure when you setup your emulator of choice for Dreamcast that you select the option to extract rom archive before running.  The problem comes in when .zip files have multiple files in them.  LB can extract the files, but then it doesn't really know which file to run, so it may not work if your .zip have 2 or more files in them. Personally, I prefer not to have any rom's in their .zip files, and unzip them before importing into LB (except for Mame games, which have the be in .zip files of course).... but I have alot of space and not tons of games so it's not an issue for me.

As for emulator, there are a few to choose from, if you have Retroarch already installed and setup, then the easiest would be to use the Flycast core.  There are 2 good stand-alone emulators I've used, Demul is one, but it doesn't get updated very often.  The other, which does get updates very frequently, is Redream.  But with Redream if you want to unlock upscaling you need to buy a premium version, which I believe is a small one-time fee of $5 (I think).  Both Demul and Flycast will allow upscaling and all other features that they support, but I believe for compatibility, Redream might be the better one now since it's updated frequently.  So, it's up to you really.  Personally, I just use Flycast as my primary emulator right now as it's easy to setup and works fine for the games that I want to play.

Edited by CDBlue

• 3 months later...

There are many good options for decent N64 emulation these days.  But, I would say yes, m64p is likely still the better out of the box solution to get up and running quickly with decent compatibility and features ... IMO.  There are some good cores available in Retroarch as well, but I won't bother suggesting any of those at the moment since retroarch is in repair mode since they were recently hacked, and getting cores downloaded/installed is not as easy until they get things back up and running again.

Edited by CDBlue

Thanks. I have the latest build of m64p that came with Angrylion, do you think it's worth it to update to the newest version (so without it) or should I just wait for the retroarch cores to be ready?

Also I just updated my retroarch cores today... was it a mistake?

I don't use the angrylion pluggins/options as I prefer to upscale and make the n64 games look more modern (rather than going for the original n64 experience), so I'm using the latest release of m64p as my primary emulator for n64.  As for the retroarch cores it looks like they might have just put up the buildbot repository again, so it should be safe.  They might not be totally up-to-date until the core devs push their latest versions though (so you might have a release or two behind right now for the cores since they only uploaded what they had on backups I believe).  In a few days though I'm sure if you update again you'll be sure to be on the latest versions of the cores that are being actively developpped.

Edited by CDBlue