LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommendation Cores/Emulators

CoOlokey

1 minute ago, HellfireEternal said:

Is there any performance difference in providing the chip dumps yourself over the Mercury version?

Not that I have noticed.

2 minutes ago, HellfireEternal said:

Also anyone know about the emulator Mupen64? Someone recommended Mupen64++ and I see there is also a Mupen64plus that hasn't been updated in quite a long time(although there are commits added to the github page of Mupen64plus). What is the difference between the two? Which would you recommend?

I like and use the Mupen64 core in Retroarch.

There is also a SameBoy core for Game Boy and Game Boy Color which apparently is more accurate than Gambatte. Also for players who like retroachievements, here is the link to the list of cores that support retroachievements and the site also has documentation on all the cores. It's definitely worth looking at.

https://buildbot.libretro.com/.docs/guides/retroachievements/

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 6:46 PM, Lordmonkus said:

https://m64p.github.io/

This is probably the most up to date and easiest to setup version of Mupen64 then. There may be more up to date versions but I honestly don't pay that close attention to the N64 scene.

Thanks for this. I'm done fighting with RA to get controls set for N64 cores that exactly match my N64 controller. It shouldn't be that difficult and things seem to be labeled wrong in RA's menu (I'm sick of looking at it and fighting with it.)

The bind all in this Mupen64GUI works exactly how I need it to and everything is mapped correctly. It was extremely simple and only took 1 time to do it!!!!

Now I just have to get my Launchbox to launch this emu instead of RA cores and I'll be set. Will look at it after work.

Thanks again for that link :)

• Like 1

On 18/12/2017 at 9:16 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Generally speaking the two are mutually exclusive but I will go through the list and give you my thoughts and suggestions.

SNES - Snes9x for speed and is quite good for 99% of the games you would ever want to play. BSnes Balanced is more accurate but will require more CPU power. Higan is the most accurate and up to date but will require a hefty CPU to power it. My personal choice lately has been Snes9x even though I have the CPU to drive BSnes and Higan because I can push the frame delay much higher which reduces input latency.

NES - Mesen core in Retroarch, near 100% accuracy.

Gameboy Advance - The best option here is the mGBA core.

Gameboy / Gameboy Color - Sameboy is supposed to be the most accurate core but the Gambatte core is great as well.

Nintendo 64 - I use the Mupen64plus core but the Parallel core is more accurate especially when you factor in the AngryLion plugin but it drives up the CPU requirement by quite a lot.

Master System / Genesis - The GenesisGX Plus core is the clear choice here, it handles both along with the Sega CD and SG-1000 with near perfection.

Sega Saturn - The Retroarch Mednafen / Beetle core is very good but seems to require a bit more CPU over the stand alone version of Mednafen.

Sega Dreamcast - Stand alone emulators are your best bet here, Demul is the most accurate while NullDC is faster.

Sega Naomi - I don't emulate this at all but I am fairly certain Demul handles it.

Sony Playstation - The Beetle / Mednafen software core is great but if you want to do some internal resolution scaling and take advantage of the PGXP features to get rid of texture and polygon wobble the hardware core is the only way to go.

Sony Playstation 2 - Only one choice here, PCSX2.

Sony PSP - The Retroarch core has gotten updated recently and is much better than it was in the past but I still suggest the stand alone version of PPSSPP.

Arcade - Mame, either the Retroarch core or stand alone are perfectly fine. Use the version that matches your rom set version.

NeoGeo - Mame or the FBA core in Retroarch are perfectly fine.

Gamecube / Wii - While there is a Retroarch core of Dolphin stick with the stand alone for it.

Mesen in retroarch ? Where is ?

I'm somewhat new, but I think this link is very relevant:

http://nonmame.retrogames.com/

These are the cores that MAME themselves recommend. Keep in mind that some retroarch cores are obviously more convenient to use then MAME, even if they aren't the most accurate. Also, MAME tends to err on the side of accuracy (as opposed to performance.)

Still, these people test tons of emulators and cores, so I would try their recommendations first.

Edited by NightRaven

Yeah the Mame guys prioritize open source and accuracy the most while that's fine I prefer to recommend based on a balance of accuracy and ease of use while taking speed into consideration as well. I like to look at the overall package.

The Mame guys are more focused on the preservation and accuracy side which is a good thing but we're looking at end users actually playing the games.

Download the core if you haven't done so already of course.

Set your core in the associated platforms command line with:

-L "cores\mesen_libretro.dll"

Then make sure all your NES games are using Retroarch for it's emulator. If you had it set to a different stand alone emulator you will want to use the bulk edit tool, select all the games (Control + A) and edit (Control + E) to change the emulator to Retroarch.