LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommendation Cores/Emulators

CoOlokey

On 1/12/2018 at 4:40 AM, dovella said:

Sony Playstation - The Beetle / Mednafen software core is great but if you want to do some internal resolution scaling and take advantage of the PGXP features to get rid of texture and polygon wobble the hardware core is the only way to go.

I can not for the bleepin' life of me get this core to work. Is there a trick I am missing?

files were from THE place to get them and 100 % verified.

I the bios files are the same as I ever used? including trying the most current redumps? 

I'm stumped. I can run the games through the other core but i was excited to try this

one due to all the graphic tweaking you can do :-/ 

Check your bios files against the ones that are actually required

scph5500.bin	PS1 JP BIOS - Required for JP	8dd7d5296a650fac7319bce665a6a53c
scph5501.bin	PS1 US BIOS - Required for US	490f666e1afb15b7362b406ed1cea246
scph5502.bin	PS1 EU BIOS - Required for EU	32736f17079d0b2b7024407c39bd3050

You can use this free program to check them: http://winmd5.com/

Simply drag each bios file into the window of the program and it will tell you its MD5 checksum.

So I have been working on my system now for about 2-3 weeks.

I wanted to share what my cores and emulators are

Arcade - Mame .193 no nag - Also added hiscores

Atari 2600 - Retroarch Stella core

Commodore 64 - Retroarch Vice core

Laser Disc Games - Daphne and Singe

Gameboy Advance - Retroarch mGBA core (RetroAchievements capable)

Gameboy Color - Retroarch Gambatte Core (RetroAchievements capable)

MS-DOS - Dosbox Exodos

NES - Retroarch Mesen Core (RetroAchievements capable)

Nintendo 3ds - Citra Canary version (not retroarch as I use the Canary, it is way more compatible and runs a lot faster!)

Nintendo 64 - Retroarch - Mupen64 (RetroAchievements capable)

Nintendo DS - Retroarch - DESUME

Nintendo Gamecube - Retroarch - Dolphin (For now)

Sega Genesis - Retroarch Genesis Plus GX core (RetroAchievements capable)

Sega Master - Retroarch Genesis Plus GX core (RetroAchievements capable)

Super Nintendo - Retroarch - BSNES Mercury Balanced (RetroAchievements capable)

Windows - Steam, Origin, Exe

Windows 3.x - Dosbox Win3x0

Multimedia - Linked shortcuts to websites

On 12/18/2017 at 9:16 PM, Lordmonkus said:

SNES - Snes9x for speed and is quite good for 99% of the games you would ever want to play. BSnes Balanced is more accurate but will require more CPU power. Higan is the most accurate and up to date but will require a hefty CPU to power it. My personal choice lately has been Snes9x even though I have the CPU to drive BSnes and Higan because I can push the frame delay much higher which reduces input latency.

I'd love to know more about this aspect, can you please elaborate?

It's a very technical discussion but the simple thing to know is the higher the frame delay the lower the input latency. Frame delay is a setting in the video settings of Retroarch and if it's something you are going to use you should be doing it on a per core basis because not all cores use the same amount of CPU power to push it. Cores that require a lot of CPU power like the Beetle Saturn or the BSnes and Higan SNES cores require far more CPU power to run them than compared to something like the Nestopia core for the NES and the Mesen core requires more CPU power than the Nestopia core.

You should play around with the different cores and the frame delay setting to find the right setting for each core. What you wanna do is push the frame delay up until you start hearing audio glitches and crackling. Once you start hearing these crackles drop the frame delay back down 1 or 2 settings and save out the Core Override.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

You should play around with the different cores and the frame delay setting to find the right setting for each core. What you wanna do is push the frame delay up until you start hearing audio glitches and crackling. Once you start hearing these crackles drop the frame delay back down 1 or 2 settings and save out the Core Override.

I think would almost make a good tutorial.... Both the reasoning on this and the methodology.  I've never heard anything like this before so tnx for the info to play around with.

CHEERS

I would love to be able to make a tutorial on this but to be perfectly honest I don't feel even remotely qualified enough to explain it in a way that is correct so instead what I will do is this. Here is a direct copy paste from

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Input_lag

"Some emulator frontends like RetroArch or GroovyMAME have the option to delay processing of emulation for a few milliseconds until right before a vsync occurs, which causes inputs to be polled quickly before your display refreshes instead at the beginning of the 16.7ms (for 60 fps) vsync period. The amount of time you can use frame delay without dropping frames is dependent on the performance of the emulator on your machine. Predictive waiting may also be forced with any DirectX based program through GeDoSaTo.

Realistically, this is the last thing to configure, after all other sync and buffer settings have been configured for your system's performance. It is only useful with significantly more power than is required to run at full speed."

Essentially the way I understand it is this (keep in mind this is my interpretation of the information and I could be wrong).
If you have a display that runs at 60hz  and v-sync enabled this means the game is running at 60 fps which equates to 1 frame every 16.7 milliseconds. The emulator polls for input at the beginning of every frame and then it has 16.7 milliseconds (ms) to do all of its "emulation work" before it displays the next frame. This is an automatic 16.7 ms of input latency on top of what ever latency your display has (more info below).

What frame delay is doing is holding off that input poll until the last possible millisecond based on the frame delay setting. If you have a frame delay of 10 it is delaying that input poll by 10 milliseconds this means you then have 6.7 ms between when it polls for input and when it renders the next frame on screen. This also means that your computer only has 6.7 ms to do all of its "emulation work" before it outputs the next frame on screen this is why pushing your frame delay setting too high causes performance issues and audio crackling. The higher you push frame delay the faster and more powerful a CPU is required, this is also why heavy CPU requirement cores such as Higan and Beetle Saturn cannot achieve the same levels of frame delay as other cores that do not have the same CPU power requirements. 

High end gaming monitors have approx somewhere between 1-5 ms delay, average PC monitors have slightly more but not a drastic amount, maybe 10-30 range, it really depends and varies from monitor to monitor. TVs however have quite a bit more input latency because it has extra video processing hardware in them to make the image better for watching video. You can reduce it somewhat  by turning on gaming mode but this does not remove the input latency completely. I good TV with gaming mode enabled will still have 50-80 ms and without gaming 120+ ms of latency.

***Disclaimer: The numbers provided above are not 100% accurate because it varies greatly by maker and model of display. Also all numbers provided are for illustration purposes to explain what is happening, they are fairly close though as to not totally skew the information. So please if you are reading this and anything I have provided is way off base please let me know instead of tearing me a new asshole***

• Thanks 1

I use the mednafen_supergrafx_libretro core just because it does the SuperGrafx games as well as the regular PC Engine / CD games but the mednafen_pce_fast_libretro is perfectly fine as well. There is an accuracy core in the stand alone version of Mednafen though if you really want the extra accuracy.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2018 at 6:46 PM, Lordmonkus said:

https://m64p.github.io/

This is probably the most up to date and easiest to setup version of Mupen64 then. There may be more up to date versions but I honestly don't pay that close attention to the N64 scene.

I was having an analog problem using a real n64 controller and USB adapter. After doing a calibration in the USB Input Device/Game Controllers Windows 10 Control Panel it's working perfectly. 

Holy crap you get a real nice looking shader (I guess it's using) right out of the box. It looks like real n64 video upscaled to HD

This is absolutely the way to go :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Looking through the thread and my setup, this is what I use.

Anything obviously amiss or new cores out there that I should consider?

NES        Retroarch    Mesen
SNES        Retroarch    Snes9x
GBA        Retroarch    mGBA
GB/GBC        Retroarch    Sameboy
N64        Retroarch    Mupen64plus
Mast/Mega/CD    Retroarch    GenesisGX Plus
Saturn        Standalone    Mednafen Beetle
Dreamcast    Standalone    Demul
Playstation    Standalone    Mednafen Beetle
PS2        Standalone    PCSX2
PSP        Standalone    PPSSPP
GC / Wii    Standalone    Dolphin
Wii U        Standalone    Cemu

20 minutes ago, EVH said:

Looking through the thread and my setup, this is what I use.

Anything obviously amiss or new cores out there that I should consider?

NES        Retroarch    Mesen
SNES        Retroarch    Snes9x
GBA        Retroarch    mGBA
GB/GBC        Retroarch    Sameboy
N64        Retroarch    Mupen64plus
Mast/Mega/CD    Retroarch    GenesisGX Plus
Saturn        Standalone    Mednafen Beetle
Dreamcast    Standalone    Demul
Playstation    Standalone    Mednafen Beetle
PS2        Standalone    PCSX2
PSP        Standalone    PPSSPP
GC / Wii    Standalone    Dolphin
Wii U        Standalone    Cemu

I personally use HIgan retroarch core for snes its more accurate but needs a beefier CPU than snes9x does, i also use Redream standalone for all the Dreamcast games it currently supports, and only use DEMUL for the games Redream doesnt support (which is the WinCE games mostly).

Rest of that list is the same as mine though.