LaunchBox Community Forums

We Need Your Help! We're being attacked and threatened.

Jason Carr

That Christopher Shaw is an idiot...

Shaw... You don't know the trouble you've got yourself in... we will fight all together to defend the launchbox community. That means Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc. Involved to kick your ass or take the justice with our own hands with DDOS attacks.

Edited by LuismaSP89
Update content

Not really and here is why. It happens! People will always pirate stuff and thinking otherwise is naive. Just make it as good as you can and the vast majority of people will buy, no joke. You can't go apeshit the second someone threatens you with releasing a key, I mean, it happens. You give others the power that you allow them to have, nothing more. TRUST me on this, I know better than most.

1 minute ago, cammelspit said:

Lol, I love cherry pickers. Jason even threatened the guy too. I have 250,00 users online... Come on, whatever that one line says it was a call to arms and was very bad form. If you don't see it then I don't know what to tell ya'. I can't make other people see a situation and think of it from the standpoint of other people. The second that emails were sent, the pirated version WILL be released. Before, it was 80% sore to be all hot air. It's pretty darn obvious here guys, really.

You just have to think outside of the box a little bit man. Jason doesn't have much experiences in these kind of issues I assume, so this "overreaction" was kinda expected. It was not a call to arms, it was more like a "An advice / help would be nice" which was also literally the title of his email.

• Like 1

ok my thougts on this : email was little weird but i must agree with it (maybe next time and i hope nobody will threaten you again just send short mail with link to forum for people who will want know more)

if you like Launchbox and people around it and want support them even with words will do , others just shrug shoulders and move on ( nobody force you do anything)

Jasons work is thinking about better things for launchbox and dont waste time with some scumbag who thinks he is untouchable and threaten him over mail with some accusations that somebody maybe say on launchbox forum : lets ban his youtube channel

for Jason : hold on and bury that scumbag six feet under

Hey team. Just my two cents but @Jason Carr is free to do what he wants and what he feels is best for his business so I have no problems with the email. If I didn't like it, I'd delete it and move on with my life. 
Can I just ask, are any of our personal details at risk if a "hack" or something was to occur out of malice? I don't mean to be worrying about myself in this but would just like some reassurance that reasonable steps have been taken to mitigate a data leak should it go down that path?

Anyway, all I can do is offer my continued support for this awesome product and the helpful people on these forums, good luck! 

After receiving notification of the public email that has been shared with us all I have been moved to pop in here and deposit my 2 cents.

@Jason Carr

You are a victim in all of this. You were clearly threatened without due cause. The behaviour of this person was despicable and you appeared to handle yourself extremely well with only the best intentions. Do not feel any guilt in sharing this with us and asking us not to betray your kind nature by obtaining a pirated license for Launchbox Premium. There is zero reason for people to be complaining about receiving the email as it is merely a mailing list update. A person can choose to ignore it or unsub from the mailing list without much hassle. However, I can't help but find myself disgusted by the lack of apathy some people are showing towards the whole situation.

"I am a Launchbox user but why is this my problem?" We are the launchbox community and this is our problem!

I myself have purchased a lifetime license and I would encourage all users who wish access to the premium features to do the same. It is not expensive. Not in the slightest. It is hassle-free and DRM-free. You couldn't really ask for more. I would never consider sharing said license with anybody (my fiance is also using it but we live together and share a room day and night and also have a shared bank account so in truth we've both paid for it anyway. If this still counts as a breech of terms Jason, inform me asap and I shall immediately have the premium license removed from her machine. I do not wish to cause you any hardship.)

The software has been a godsend and worth every penny spent on the premium. Jason clearly stated in the email that nobody needs to feel obligated to do anything so please, I urge you not to complain needlessly. He is not trying to "build an army" or anything of the sort. In fact he is requesting the opposite. Everyone is free to ignore this situation at no detriment to themselves or use of the software.

Thank you once again Jason for all your hard work. It is truly appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so my last post was deleted for some reason. I hope that wasn't intentional. :) Anyways, no I don't care, it happens and is naive to expect otherwise. people will pirate and you can't do anything about it but be so awesome they WANT to give you their money. Don't engage the trolls is all I'm saying. Sure, the Shaw guy is a jerk and a pain but hey, life goes on, it's not so serious. People like that only have as much power as you give them, this is exactly what he wanted. TRUST me, i know from personal experience here. 

The one deleted was much more eloquent. You will just have to take my word for it. :D

Edited by cammelspit
  • Like 1

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Your last post wasn't deleted, it's formatted for some reason that it's invisible to dark theme users.

Ah, makes sense, Dark theme. Anyways, good luck guys and try not to let this stuff get to you. One low life isn't worth getting all worked up over. These things have the tendency to work themselves out in the end. :D Take care all, I think I'm done for tonight and will check back in the morning.

2 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

Ok, so my last post was deleted for some reason. I hope that wasn't intentional. :) Anyways, no I don't care, it happens and is naive to expect otherwise.

Not meaning to sound rude but if you don't care why are you here wasting your life just to tell of us you don't care?

We know that there are people who are going to pirate Launchbox and they won't pay for it no matter what, that isn't the issue at all. We have had this discussion in private and we all agree that the best way to beat this is to keep providing the best front end with the most features and the best forum around. We take great pride in the fact that many general emulation searches link back directly to a post or thread here. We see other forums and reddit threads and we know we have the most helpful and friendly community around.

I really don't think @Jason Carr handled this wrong, we were attacked by a douchebag and we are letting the community know. We do not expect or want anyone from the community to go out of their way to do anything, all we are asking for is the support of the community, nothing more.

If someone feels an email being sent out was too much or out of line then I guess on behalf of Jason I will even apologize, not that it would matter to anyone actually complaining about a simple email.

• Like 2

@j800r That's a really dumb thing to say. I made myself exceptionally clear if you don't like reading that's fine just don't comment if you choose not to. I don't care if LB gets pirated by a troll because it's not something you can avoid, sheesh. I don't care if LB gets threatened because it's all fluff and obviously was, to begin with. I don't care about an email sent to me because it is a non-issue that doesn't require this kind of response. This is way more minor that you are aware, obviously. Though if you force me to say it, I can't care THAT much since the earth keeps spinning, children are born, a grandparent dies, all of this in the absence of LB. Though, I still like LB and would like it to keep going for the foreseeable future. Next time, don't hyperbolize me, you won't get anywhere with that.

With respect to Mr. Carr, when the people telling you your actions were misguided consist of both some community members and people with no horse in this race, and the only people insisting otherwise are folks who are likely to harbor significant bias, you should probably pay more heed to the former.

Sincerely, I mean no ill will to the fellow in charge here, I'm sure he's been under a lot of stress and is perhaps lacking experience in this particular area, but if you really thought an email was warranted the situation could have been summed up briefly with a few sentences and a link to this thread included for the sake of interested parties. That way you'd have avoided most of this negative feedback, not to mention it would have come off as orders of magnitude more professional. What we got was petty and downright bizarre. Also, remarks such as:

He has some of the most disgusting intentions that I have ever seen in all of humanity

Might be construed as hyperbole, by like, people who live on Earth.

We're all dumb some of the time. Mistakes happen. In the grand scheme of things this is a pretty small one. A bigger one right now would be letting yourself or your fans convince you this wasn't a mistake in the first place. I promise; this was very weird and out of order. Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1