LaunchBox Community Forums

We Need Your Help! We're being attacked and threatened.

Jason Carr

15 minutes ago, H-Ten said:

I don't care about whatever drama you have happening with your site, however what you are saying is only going to further this conflict. I don't care about your personal issues with users, but crying to your email subscribers and trying to turn them into your own personal internet army is ridiculous and petty. [...]

Mostly agreed. It's bad form to bring an entire mailing list of customers into this 'drama'. The ending comment asking everyone to try and "[prevent] his business from continuing" but that we also "not resort to attacking him" is just plain weird. Best of luck I suppose though.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, H-Ten said:

I don't care about whatever drama you have happening with your site, however what you are saying is only going to further this conflict. I don't care about your personal issues with users, but crying to your email subscribers and trying to turn them into your own personal internet army is ridiculous and petty. Being angry over someone threatening to share your software and sending people like me emails like this is pointless and harassing. In a world where serious and legitimate cybercrime is a daily occurrence your own issues are truly micro. If anything, Mr. Shaw is being reasonable and not trying to threaten you or extort you, but warning you that he doesn't want issues. The Launchbox community is not your own personal army to fulfill your ridiculous demands, and you should be able to deal with this on your own. This entire debacle reeks of desperation, and is incredibly unprofessional. I get that you're probably inexperienced in moderating and likely don't understand how to handle issues like this, but I recommend you think twice about trying to turn this into a flame war with a clear and obvious troll. Leave the users alone, as we have no dog in this fight and shouldn't be drafted into this.

This is exactly what I thought when I received this e-mail, I don't care about your drama, I'm not in your army, just a user. We promise we won't inundate you with emails, and we'll only send them when we have useful announcements. Click here to unsubscribe anyways: and I clicked it.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Mostly agreed. It's bad form to bring an entire mailing list of customers into this 'drama'. The ending comment asking everyone to try and "[prevent] his business from continuing" but that we also "not resort to attacking him" is just plain weird. Best of luck I suppose though.

I'm assuming you like the program and would like to continue using it though right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

damn people got one email and they are crying. all you have to do is ignore it not act like it is a huge hassle to you.

You sent a a very long "drama queen" mail to thousands of people instead of managing your own stuff with a single troll, think about it, it's totally unprofessionnal. And stop thinking everyone have to fight for this.

it's just funny how someone complains about selling something that isn't legal then threatening because his youtube channel gets shut down for obvious reason's you are showing videos of copyrighted material... in the end karma will bite him in the Ass and everyone will not loose any sleep over it.   

• Like 1

If you report him to ICE as selling copy-written material they will investigate him. I've had to go through them before when a company shafted me on some jersey's and they went after them. They were based in china so they do not just go after people in the US. Include his youtube channels, websites, and social media and they will confiscate them all. I can certainly understand him being upset if someone filed the strike on his channel but to threaten someone to the level he has is childish and cowardly behind his keyboard. 

• Like 1

My two cents. I have been a victim of a rom seller stealing my work and profiting from it. It sucks. Someone's entire business based around theft and lies is very difficult to deal with when they threaten legal action. Jason is passionate about his IP which is why we back him. I wish in the past that I could have reached out to an entire community via email. It may come off as childish to some people but it is within his right to do so and I support it. Launchbox is not the only victim of these scumbags, plenty of other front ends have retaliated in similar fashion with other rom sellers doing the same exact things. Lies and theft. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I'm assuming you like the program and would like to continue using it though right?

Yeah. I donated back when there wasn't a paid version. I'm curious what you mean though. In the email it's stated that "I do not believe that he is capable of doing any major damage", as well as there being "not much" this person can do to "ruin our business"; is that incorrect or am I misunderstanding something?

I sent an e-mail about his website to piracyscene@noa.nintendo.com. The Big N hates ROMs so I'm sure they'd love to know that someone is selling their games illegally. Also:

33 minutes ago, H-Ten said:

In a world where serious and legitimate cybercrime is a daily occurrence your own issues are truly micro. 

Seeing as you're so happy to invoke relative privation I hope you're appropriately ashamed that you're whining about a single e-mail you didn't like being sent to you when there are people starving to death in the world right now.

• Like 5

Some are complaining here with "I'm not in your army" so why are you even here then?. If you are not a follower or fan of this software, the heck are you even doing here then. Maybe you are not interested in this but there are a whole bunch of others who are and they also want to protect the future of this work. I'm a dev myself btw. followed Jason these years around and I'm supporting his work. Seeing his success with this work the past years, motivated me kinda for my own business which goes pretty well too meanwhile :).

Criticism is good but I f you just wanna complain take a step backward and just ignore it and go your way, before posting nonsense. It's as you say, not your business nor your community.

Edit: Wrote the wrong name at first. That guys name was kinda in my head since I was writing a report regarding him at the same time.

Edited by ayuno
  • Like 2