LaunchBox Community Forums

We Need Your Help! We're being attacked and threatened.

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, splicerd said:

His channel only has 1100 subscribers and a cumulative total of about 85K views. How much revenue can he be making from that?

You can't base his traffic just from youtube. I am pretty sure this is his means of living so he would have multiple outlets to sell his illegal product. 

The biggest mistake this guy made was sending Jason an email with those lines. Stealing and sharing digital stuff is illegal which is not a news, however, you would usually do these kind of things anonym. This shawn guy however, doesn't even have the rights to sell stuff. I couldn't find anything official like a trade registrar or something like that regarding his site, which means he sells literally his whole stuff illegally. That being said, he has a lot of videos on his channel showing his face, name and possibly other infos as well, which must be in this particular case absolutely horrible for him. All in all if all goes in the wrong direction with him, Jason doesn't even have to move his finger. And It absolutely doesn't matter where he lives since these kind of things are international.

Ps: He sells also PC Games and other things not in the right way apparently.

Edited by ayuno

Just now, keltoigael said:

You can't base his traffic just from youtube. I am pretty sure this is his means of living so he would have multiple outlets to sell his illegal product. 

No doubt. But he seems overly concerned about it and the source of his contention.

I think... I think Jason played right into Shaw's hands. He's pissed off a certain amount of his own userbase, created strife between longtime community members, and has sent to (evidently) 250k people some rather... uncouth dialog on his own part. Dialog which is *not* going to do him favors winning over any new customers from the PC gaming and emulation scene. I care enough about the people here and about LaunchBox that I was coming to fight for it, but I think this e-mail was poor strategy. I also think the response from many in this thread towards those with dissenting opinions is appalling. There's a very clear theme here of "Take Jason's Side or Leave." It's an attitude which I personally feel has been growing on the forums for some months (which is a shame, because it's the attitude taken up by Team-Kodi and similar projects, and not having that attitude is what used to set LB apart from the rest of the pack). You don't have to come right out and say those exact words for the message to get across. And not a single person sending that message is being clever about hiding it, either.

As for Shaw, he's an obvious scumbag... but I have to wonder if he can't "seriously do any major damage" what the point of this essay was.

• Like 1

Jason is overly concerned about it because Chris went out of his way to specifically say that Launchbox was going to be under attack and sold just because he was pissed off at me for banning him from the forums. Chris was openly declaring he was basically black mailing Jason in order to make him stop doing something that was not done by Jason or anyone else that is a part of Launchbox.

He's from Toronto, it seems he is living on Thailand now.

But he is still a Canadian citizen, so it's probably easy to take a legal action. He's pretty exposed on web for who has a illegal business (paypal, personal facebook page, whois from his domain...), i suggest to print and gather every information about him to take some legal action if necessary.

3 minutes ago, WishfulThinking said:

With respect to Mr. Carr, when the people telling you your actions were misguided consist of both some community members and people with no horse in this race,

Well the general feeling here has been actually positive to the heads up for people, if "some" community members disagreed then the larger percentage of our audience had absolutely no issues with a email pointing out this issue. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I would guess most of our users have the opposite opinion to yourself.

4 minutes ago, WishfulThinking said:

With respect to Mr. Carr, when the people telling you your actions were misguided consist of both some community members and people with no horse in this race, and the only people insisting otherwise are folks who are likely to harbor significant bias, you should probably pay more heed to the former.

Sincerely, I mean no ill will to the fellow in charge here, I'm sure he's been under a lot of stress and is perhaps lacking experience in this particular area, but if you really thought an email was warranted the situation could have been summed up briefly with a few sentences and a link to this thread included for the sake of interested parties. That way you'd have avoided most of this negative feedback, not to mention it would have come off as orders of magnitude more professional. What we got was petty and downright bizarre. Also, remarks such as:

Might be construed as hyperbole, by like, people who live on Earth.

We're all dumb some of the time. Mistakes happen. In the grand scheme of things this is a pretty small one. A bigger one right now would be letting yourself or your fans convince you this wasn't a mistake in the first place. I promise; this was very weird and out of order. Best of luck.

Surely that's the point though? We're all biased to a degree. We are fans/users of the software. We wouldn't be receiving the email otherwise.

I don't think it was much of an exaggeration to be honest. The guy's behaviour was disgusting and unwarranted. As for what he's seen of humanity? We can only speculate so while it may not seem like a big deal to some of us, it's clearly a bigger deal to Jason when it's his livelihood that's being threatened. I'd be upset too and imho it could have been handled much, much worse.

I have never seen any attitude by the means of take Jason's side or leave but in fact the opposite. We voice our opinions to him all the time. He listens to his user base. As far as I am concerned these are some of the friendliest and most helpful emulation forums on the web.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

No one is saying that at all, in fact if you knew or saw what happens sometimes in private you would be surprised at what we tell Jason not to do and we voice our opinions very loudly to him.

Then perhaps rethink your rhetoric, because that is the message being sent. I am not the only one reading posts this way.

• Like 1

I haven't seen anyone really say agree with Jason or leave here my main point is that complaining about an getting an email whether you agree with its content or not is kind of petty and that is my opinion maybe not every one agrees which I really don't care about anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

Well the general feeling here has been actually positive to the heads up for people, if "some" community members disagreed then the larger percentage of our audience had absolutely no issues with a email pointing out this issue. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I would guess most of our users have the opposite opinion to yourself.

Based on your response I'm unsure whether or not you continued reading my post beyond this point. Specifically, I was suggesting that existing community members might not be the most objective in the matter, and even in those cases some reacted negatively alongside the new blood. That part comes after the comma where you stopped the quote.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ayuno said:

So Jason and Shawn knew each other? they were friends before?. I'm kinda confused.

I don't think they know each other in meatspace nor do I think they were ever friends. Shaw is a software... I mean, he's a pirate yes, but he's more of a software dealer, undercutting the list price of software packages (seemingly primarily frontends) by selling them for cheap on the black market. Like a "Loaded Kodi Firestick" dealer. For whatever reason, he believes LaunchBox users are attacking his business, and he's threatening to sell his own purchased Big Box keys as a result.

2 minutes ago, Kriven said:

I don't think they know each other in meatspace nor do I think they were ever friends. Shaw is a software... I mean, he's a pirate yes, but he's more of a software dealer, undercutting the list price of software packages (seemingly primarily frontends) by selling them for cheap on the black market. Like a "Loaded Kodi Firestick" dealer. For whatever reason, he believes LaunchBox users are attacking his business, and he's threatening to sell his own purchased Big Box keys as a result.

Was doesn't make much sense seeing as his channel is mainly reselling HS, why he reacted to LB is the question.