LaunchBox Community Forums

Nothing happens when loading a NeoGeo game on Launchbox.

Nour T.

Hello there! I may be new today, but I have tried the LaunchBox and so far it amazes me. It's like a thing that you didn't know you needed!

Anyhoo, as stated in this title, I had a problem trying to launch neo-geo games with RetroArch. It may sound familiar but when I try to open the app, it just does nothing even though I literally tried a genesis game just to check if I'm not doing anything wrong and the genesis game ran just fine on retroarch using launchbox. And if you askin', yes I tried a neo-geo on RetroArch itself and it worked fine. So I'm really baffled right now and any help would be very appreciated. Much thanks to you guys.

Emulator Details:

wHknYWZ.png

Associated Platforms (which includes the Neo Geo):
xG3zM1x.png

RetroArch cores:

l9dIWqF.png

Game when running using RetroArch only:

kIaPaG7.png

Retroarch's version is 1.7.0.

Solution: When importing ROMs, don't choose "Copy the files into Launchbox game folder", instead choose "Don't move."
7gz7Yhs.png

Edited by Nour T.

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

If you right click a game in your Neo Geo platform does it have the option to Open Retroarch in the menu ?

Everything you have looks to correct so right now I am wondering if maybe you have your Neo Geo games associated with a different emulator which isn't set up correctly.

T9Iir4O.png

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

your exe for RA is in your AppData folder? Don't know if that will effect anything but a very strange place to setup a program from.

Yes, it's from AppData, the installation made it as its default.

So you used the installer version of Retroarch i'm guessing? There should also be a Retroarch folder in C:/Program folders I would imagine if that's the case, try pointing Launchbox at that .exe instead. I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not though, but that is how KODI installs, it adds KODI to program files folder, but also stores data in the appdata folder.

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

So you used the installer version of Retroarch i'm guessing? There should also be a Retroarch folder in C:/Program folders I would imagine if that's the case, try pointing Launchbox at that .exe instead. I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not though, but that is how KODI installs, it adds KODI to program files folder, but also stores data in the appdata folder.

Nope, its not in either Program Files (x86) or the Program Files in 64-bit, everything's literally in appdata.

ayf1wdo.png

I did just that: Downloaded the archive package, extracted it, put it to somewhere apporpirated, copied the "cores" and "systems" which has everything from neo geo bios to the cores to the archive, then tried to run it. At first, Retroarch opened without using the said core, let alone playing the game, but when trying to run it again, still does nothing.

I am completely stumped on this one.

If all your other cores are loading games through Launchbox and your Neo Geo games are loading through Retroarch outside of Launchbox it should work through Launchbox as well. Your "Edit Emulator" settings right, the platform name and command line parameter and the core is in the cores folder.

Are you actually loading the fbalpha core when loading in RA on its own or are you possibly using the fbalpha2012_neogeo core by any chance ?

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

I am completely stumped on this one.

If all your other cores are loading games through Launchbox and your Neo Geo games are loading through Retroarch outside of Launchbox it should work through Launchbox as well. Your "Edit Emulator" settings right, the platform name and command line parameter and the core is in the cores folder.

Are you actually loading the fbalpha core when loading in RA on its own or are you possibly using the fbalpha2012_neogeo core by any chance ?

I literally finished 4 missions on Metal Slug II with the fbalpha core when using Retroarch on its own, save states ftw. ;p

But it's the most weirdest thing I have ever experienced. I tried 6-pak on Launchbox and it works right, and I tried individual games (like Metal Slug and King of Fighters) on Retroarch alone and it works, but it won't happen when I use Launchbox. Which is pretty sad since LaunchBox is the most convenient launcher I have ever used.

Have you tried a different core with those games through Launchbox? As @Lordmonkus mentioned this is pretty odd as all your setting are as they should be. I would launch the game through RA direct and then go into the settings with the game launched and confirm the core it used, then do the same by launching the game through Launchbox. If through both ways the cores are the same then I would try in Launchbox using a different FBA core and see if the game works or not. 

Edited by Retro808

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Have you tried a different core with those games through Launchbox? As @Lordmonkus mentioned this is pretty odd as all your setting are as they should be. I would launch the game through RA direct and then go into the settings with the game launched and confirm the core it used, then do the same by launching the game through Launchbox. If through both ways the cores are the same then I would try in Launchbox using a different FBA core and see if the game works or not. 

Okay, so I tried the cores and worked just fine on retroarch, but still no dice on Launchbox. And I also noticed something weird, when I tried to run the games on the Launchbox folder itself, the game won't load, so it must be the Launchbox folder's fault, right? BUT when I tried to import King of Fighters rom with its same place instead of copying to the launchbox thing, it still doesn't work.

The folder really should not matter as long as you are pointing Launchbox correctly to the rom and the emulator .exe. In Launchbox can you right click and edit Metal Slug in your Neo Geo games and share a pic of the launcher tab and emulation tab? Just to complete the visual check of your settings. Not sure if ti will show anything but better to have more data to troubleshoot from. 

Edited by Retro808

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The folder really should not matter as long as you are pointing Launchbox correctly to the rom and the emulator .exe. In Launchbox can you right click and edit Metal Slug in your Neo Geo games and share a pic of the launcher tab and emulation tab? Just to complete the visual check of your settings. 

https://i.imgur.com/XYnRTZm.gif

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

try pointing LB to the rom that you can successfully launch and see if that changes anything

I did that, the King of Fighters was an example, still no dice.

Edited by Nour T.
"gifv"