LaunchBox Community Forums

Bally Astrocade games not launching

jokerf1

Hi i have imported successfully Bally Astrocade to launchbox but unfortunately i cannot get the emulator to work. I have seen some information on the forum but still i cannot figure it out.

I have tried mame and retroarch but no success. On retroarch i have tried Mame, mame2014 and MESS core i get a flash of a window and then dissapears.

I have also read that i have to do MESS bioses to system folder of Retroarch and i did.

With-regards MAME i do not even get the flash window. I have also put the bioses on rom folder of MAME.

Any help would be appreciated.

For stand alone MAME you have to add a command line argument to get it to launch through LB. To do so go to manage emulators and edit MAME when that opens go to the associated platform and and put in your platform on the left (named exactly as you named the system for LB) and then in the command section put in astrocde -cart

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

For stand alone MAME you have to add a command line argument to get it to launch through LB. To do so go to manage emulators and edit MAME when that opens go to the associated platform and and put in your platform on the left (named exactly as you named the system for LB) and then in the command section put in astrocde -cart

I just just looking this up and found exactly the same info. :) 

• Like 1

Also, make sure that your mame.ini includes the folder where your bios is located. Example: (I have my astrocde.zip in the "bios" folder)

#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0
#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#

rompath                   bios;roms;

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jokerf1 said:

Ok thanks but for some strange reason i cannot find mame.ini on my MAME folder. Only ini i can find on mame root folder is plugin.ini and ui.ini. Is there a way to generate this mame.ini?

If you don't have a 'mame.ini' file, then you have to create one. Open a command prompt window (type "cmd" in the "Type here to search" in Windows 10). Then go to your mame directory and type "mame -cc" (without the quotes of course)

• Like 1

I have created mame.ini file succesfully i used mame64.exe-cc since my i downloaded the 64bit one. I downloaded one file called Mess bios pack and i extracted all the zip files(bioses) in rom folder. Unfortunately again nothing happens when i click a game to launch. On the ini file below is what i have:

# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
homepath                  .
rompath                   roms;

That's rather strange. Is your bios file named "astrocde.zip" and in the roms folder? Also, are your astrocade games in zip/7z format or are they uncompressed? (.bin) I highly recommend uncompressing them to save any hassles while using mame with arcade games.

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

Success!!! Thanks a lot man! I guess was missing something rather simple. I think the crucial part was the mame.ini part because i have tried these checkboxes before having mame,ini.

I have a question. Because i have many more systems to add like AAE American Laser Games, Amstrad GX4000 etc. Is there any place i can find the default command lines i should put on associated platforms?

Glad to hear that! As a person who also struggled to get the 'oddball' systems like Bally Astrocade to work properly in the past, I know exactly how you felt. The good news is that if you add any more mame/mess related systems (Fairchild Channel F, for example) you can follow the same method as this one. Try this page on the launchbox forums for more information about default command lines and emulator configurations

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sooooooooo, I'm a little confused here.
Real quick on what I did.
Put the Astrodace bios files in my MAME roms folder
Subfolder in that folder called Astrocade with my Astrocade roms... named like software list sets.
Imported my Astrocade roms folder to LB... it only actually recognized about 8 of 50 for some reason.

So.... nothing worked.

So I did what I quoted below as well as Uncheck "Don't use quotes" and "Use the file name only..."

This made it work but then when I go to 'Arcade' platform it launches Astrocade instead of MAME.

Do I need two versions of MAME installed? How would I set up separate command lines in MAME for MAME and Bally?

On 2/23/2018 at 6:36 AM, DOS76 said:

Edited by DerHof2007

under the associated platform tab for MAME you would add a second line that would have a platform named after your platform and the command line listed then if you wanted to add any more MESS systems to MAME you would just repeat on the next line