LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox ignoring RAM limit

We1Dont7Die

I've noticed that launchbox ignores the RAM Cache limit setting. If I set it to 2048 MB it ignores it and climbs to around 5GB. If i set it to use 4GB ram, it still ignores the limit and ends up at about 5GB usage.

I'm using 8.2 beta 6, but this problem was happening in the stable release as well, I just hadn't had time to report it.

yes I'm aware of the setting just wanted to make sure you weren't setting it in LB and then not seeing it work in BB as unlike other LB settings it doesn't effect BB that is all but since you only using LB then I have no clue I've used that setting to turn it all the way down on lower end hardware with only 1 or 2 GB of RAM available and it makes the application usable and out of memory errors will stop happening so I know in those scenarios it usually works. Do you have videos in LB and are you using VLC for the playback or WMP I know people have linked VLC to memory leaks in the past but I don't recall if it was with LB or BB specific but might be worth a try to switch.

Also to add to this, the ram cache setting in Launchbox is for caching images into ram in order to speed up the fetching of said images, the program of course will still have to run as well so that will of course use more ram over the top of what you have set for the image cache. 

5gb seems high though I just opened LB to test and its using 137 MB initially and as I scrolled through 5 or 6 systems (some rather large like NES and GBA) it gets to right about under a gig and won't go any higher I have mine set for 1024MB in LB

11 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

5gb seems high though I just opened LB to test and its using 137 MB initially and as I scrolled through 5 or 6 systems (some rather large like NES and GBA) it gets to right about under a gig and won't go any higher I have mine set for 1024MB in LB

I just scrolled every platform in my library and it seems about right to me, I have the cache set to 4GB.

Screenshot (436).png

On 3/31/2018 at 6:53 AM, DOS76 said:

yes I'm aware of the setting just wanted to make sure you weren't setting it in LB and then not seeing it work in BB as unlike other LB settings it doesn't effect BB that is all but since you only using LB then I have no clue I've used that setting to turn it all the way down on lower end hardware with only 1 or 2 GB of RAM available and it makes the application usable and out of memory errors will stop happening so I know in those scenarios it usually works. Do you have videos in LB and are you using VLC for the playback or WMP I know people have linked VLC to memory leaks in the past but I don't recall if it was with LB or BB specific but might be worth a try to switch.

I m using VLC, yes. Ill try switching to WMP.

I'm guessing it flushes it as the further down the list I go I get box art still. I have a tablet with 1GB or RAM if I add more than like 600 games without it turned all the way down I will instantly start receiving out of memory errors so in that case I know its working.

The RAM cache code has not been touched in literally a year, and I haven't heard about any issues for a very long time, so I'm pretty doubtful that it has a leak at this point. That said, the RAM cache has nothing to do with the total RAM usage, so you can't really assume that it has a leak based on total RAM usage (there's a lot more in LaunchBox that uses RAM than the RAM cache). It's also worth noting that the "RAM cache" as it's known in LaunchBox currently will be removed entirely once LaunchBox.Next is completed and we finish that migration. WPF has its own improved methods for managing images cached in RAM.

To answer your last question though @We1Dont7Die, it flushes out the last used cover art to make room for new art when the RAM cache fills up.

• Like 1

I would be curious as to how many game entries you have in LaunchBox? Others may be able to chime in, and if than for no other reason, confirm the amount of ram used on their system for a like number of entries, or not.

I, for one, only have about 4100 entries and don't see the ram usage you are reporting.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah it's pretty simple to reproduce this. i can see that as well.

i just set 2GB for the cache. 

then i went to the All platform and just started scrolling. I'm well over 2Gb and climbing as I scroll.

i assume the cache should be limited to 2GB and then LB itself gets to have some memory too.

so, i kept scrolling in All and got past 3GB but only half way through scrolling.

i have 12k games