LaunchBox Community Forums

Romfrosk's EmuHeaven

Romfrosk

59 minutes ago, Romfrosk said:

Importing last part of the gigantic Amiga collection, and it may seem like i'm going to hit 100k imported games :)

what emulator are you using? and what kind of amiga roms? I only have the cryptic names one, which I cannot easy import into launchbox like nes or snes and so on. I am to lazy to import and pick each game by game...

1 hour ago, Chris Kant said:

what emulator are you using? and what kind of amiga roms? I only have the cryptic names one, which I cannot easy import into launchbox like nes or snes and so on. I am to lazy to import and pick each game by game...

I haven't started to pick emulator for the Amiga yet. But I did have some luck with the fs-uae earlier on. 

Guys you can ask for info on where to find stuff and people can directly tell you we just don't allow linking to the copyrighted material so if you needed the new MAME set I  would say go to PleasureDome.uk.org and that is allowed as long as it isn't linked (this is and example only I know no one has asked for info on MAME sets). For the original Odyssey try OdySim but be warned the games are terrible and I believe they are simulated and not emulated. Also the controls for it were very strange you may want to read some of the info from the link below to get a grasp on how it worked.

https://classicreload.com/dosx-odyssey-emulator.html

• Thanks 1

I asked this elsewhere but given the chat, here seems to be a good place to ask - where can you find lists of the number of released games per system? So far I have looked at Wikipedia and Hyperlist as well as a few other sites. Thanks. 

PS I’m working on a spreadsheet too which includes a little info and a picture for each system. It’s been a few solid days work so far and am probably 75% through it. 

Edited by Dan

I don't know anywhere to get a list like that. Most systems that are older have been out for years like NES SNES Genesis and SMS the nointro set are pretty much complete as far as I know. I have so many games I'll never play I'm not really worried about chasing down what may be excluded from there.

24 minutes ago, Dan said:

I asked this elsewhere but given the chat, here seems to be a good place to ask - where can you find lists of the number of released games per system? So far I have looked at Wikipedia and Hyperlist as well as a few other sites. Thanks. 

PS I’m working on a spreadsheet too which includes a little info and a picture for each system. It’s been a few solid days work so far and am probably 75% through it. 

I like good ol' Wikipedia because you can sort by region and get an idea of exclusives, sometimes. Other than that I just look on forums like NintendoAgeSegaAge and Guardiana etc.

I have been struggling with a slow system since i hit roughly 50-60k imported games, and i'm going to try something in order to reduce the problems.

I'll set up 5 different executables, each with it's own category

Retro Computers
Win/MS-DOS
Arcade
Console & Handhelds
Flash & Others

I'll get back to you on how i end up setting this up

1 hour ago, Dan said:

This is a bit disappointing to hear. Does Jason Carr know about this? What about if you use Launchbox Next, is that any different?

I am not sure if @Jason Carr knows or not. I was going to say how could he not but I suppose it is not an issue everyone faces, having 60k+ games that is. I tried LaunchBox Next and it is definitely faster and smoother but I figured I would not really use it until it was either near to or fully completed as I do so much work on LaunchBox on a daily basis. Although I see it has come along a lot further so I should give it another crack.

Edited by Dane

23 minutes ago, Dan said:

This is a bit disappointing to hear. Does Jason Carr know about this? What about if you use Launchbox Next, is that any different?

I'll try the Next as well later today.
I had the same thoughts as Dane, as it is still in beta. but if it speeds things up, and i can avoid splitting up systems, then i'm all for using it

I've done some tests to see the difference, and i can agree that it's much faster, at least when it comes to browsing, and also working with it in general. 
I haven't done proper testing, as i'm RDPing into the PC from work. But here are the numbers.
image.png.656c02cb0080b67e6afc1226827b631c.pngI will conduct more thorough tests when i'm at home, but it sure looks promising.

Note my setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 32GB 
GPU:  GTX 1080 Ti
SSD: Intel 520

Collection Total: 99954

Arcade: 1330
Computers: 66661
Consoles: 14262
Handhelds: 12079
Windows: 4522

Also, i've noted that "Number of Games" is always on in Next, even though it's disabled in settings

Used Next a bit more now, and i can definitely say that it's way faster than "stock"

Also checking for metadata on already imported games is much faster.
And it doesn't pop up with loads of 404 error like stock did.

i will use Next from now on, and thanks for guiding me in the correct direction :)

9 hours ago, Dan said:

Good to hear! Though a startup time of 36 seconds on your powerful machine is still a bit concerning. Hopefully @Jason Carr can help improve things further with future releases. 

With 65,607 games my LaunchBox-Next took 24s to start up compared to 39s on normal LaunchBox and I have the following setup:

Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Processor/CPU: AMD Six 6-Core FX 6350
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480
Memory/RAM: 16GB

Though I will not use next yet as you cannot right click a system in the left menu to edit it and they are not in alphabetical order under the platform view. I will still wait until it is finished.

Edited by Dane

7 hours ago, Dane said:

Though I will not use next yet as you cannot right click a system in the left menu to edit it and they are not in alphabetical order under the platform view. I will still wait until it is finished.

Mine are Alphabetical both in platform and platform/category.

But as you point out, You cannot right click it, and edit.
But i usually dont use that, for now