LaunchBox Community Forums

What systems are complete in the DB?

heelsinc

There's no list, unfortunately. I know that all the U.S. releases for NES are added, as well as everything for Atari 7800 & Virtual Boy (apart from the odd homebrew release here and there) but I haven't fully checked any other systems. DOS isn't complete but it at least is 100% compatible with the 2.0 eXoDOS collection. 

Most 8, 16 and 32 bit systems are essentially complete, but there's always the odd obscure release that gets missed.

If this is truly trying to be a complete database I would make two suggestions which are that there should be a list showing which systems are complete and the database should be intergrated with the audit feature.  This way it would tell us both what the database has that's missing from our collection and also what pur collection has that's not in the database so that person could potentially add it to the database.  I think it would make the database complete much faster.

Edited by heelsinc

• 2 months later...

you should first decide what is ''complete''. US and EU official releases? JAP releases too? other releases (Brazil, Korea. Taiwan, Germany, France, etc) ?

What about protoypes, what about beta and prototypes that also got full release? Unlicensed games? Homebrews? Hacks? Public Domain? 

Its very hard to define ''complete'' - everybody got they own rules. I got every platform twice in LB right now - one with EU and US official releases only and second with prototypes that wasn't release later, good unlicensed games, notable hacks and different countries releases (Japan, Taiwan, German, France, etc.) that you can easly play without knowing they native language (or in english).

what is your definition of ''complete''?

On 6/10/2018 at 12:17 PM, heelsinc said:

If this is truly trying to be a complete database I would make two suggestions which are that there should be a list showing which systems are complete and the database should be intergrated with the audit feature.  This way it would tell us both what the database has that's missing from our collection and also what pur collection has that's not in the database so that person could potentially add it to the database.  I think it would make the database complete much faster.

Regardless of what is deemed a "complete" list, having the ability to audit against your own list would be a really good idea. 

It might just be a list that is the 500 best games on xyz platform. Or it might be an officially maintained "complete" list (or variation thereof). If we could point LB at it and have LB tell us what games are different / missing / superfluous this would be a nice feature. (Assuming this can't already be done - I'm new to LB but certainly haven't come across this feature yet) :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, vahacris said:

With japan, german, etc. release? Or us/Eu only? 

All unique individual retail releases is what my definition of a complete collection is.   So if I can game spreads across 3 regions but is the same game in all 3 I need 1 version of the game to consider it complete.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, zetec-s-joe said:

The only way to have a "complete" list is to have all USA retail store titles, all Europe exclusive retail, and then Jap exclusive retail games that are in English

Again, only my version

This is sorta my thinking but for JP exclusive I count them all.  Lots of translations go up on romhacking.net all the time so I want to have a complete collection of JP games even if I can't play them at this time.

Edited by heelsinc
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 6:49 PM, heelsinc said:

Is there a list of which systems are 100% completed in the database?

In my opinion snes/sfc. I was contributing to it for years. Now you could find every release with their boxes, clear logos, including homebrews, nintendo power and some satellaview hacks. There's some information missing but on the art side they're complete at 99% in my opinion.

PD: Considering that you want japanese covers only for non released games on western countries. I prioritized the superfamicom exclusives to add covers.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...