LaunchBox Community Forums

Exiting games in MAME....

Lukeyboy67

Launchbox's Controller Automation button combo will do this for you. The button combo sends the Escape command to the PC shutting down the emulator as long as it supports Escape to close it. Some emulators don't and in those cases an AHK script can be set for the emulator in LB to send the close emulator command to it.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,  JJ helped me by creating this ahk script for me.

Holding joystick button 10 (my start button) for 5 seconds exits mame.

$joy10:: ; my start button
{
	keywait, joy10, t5
	if errorlevel <> 0
	{
	Send {esc down}{esc up}
	}
}

• Like 2

Super noob question I guess but I copied and pasted your ahk code into the ahk section of tools>"edit" emmulators in launch box.  Then I changed your joy10 to my joy1 key in Mame which is mapped to my player 1 button.   Loaded a game in Mame and tried to exit holding the key for 5 and it didn't exit. Any help would be appreciated.  Is it because I already have that key mapped to "p1 start"? I also do not have premium version yet so I cannot set buttons in launch box as Lordmonkus suggested. Looked in mame64 but could not find an escape key to map a button to. 

Edited by omlifecrew

On my arcade machine I have it set in Mame to use coin and another button simultaneously to exit from game. Using the UI cancel built into MAME isn't the same as using Alt-F4 basically you are taking the built in Escape function in MAME and adding it to a button combo so it is cleanly shutting MAME down. Whatever works for anyone is great but the simplest solution is to use the one built into MAME.

• Like 1