LaunchBox Community Forums

R.I.P. TheISOZone

voicesinthedark

Nintendo didn't shut ISOZone down fear of Nintendo doing it to them did. While I don't support Nintendo's actions on these things I certainly understand them from their point of view. They are business people doing what they think protects their business. Are they going to stop the illegal downloading of their IP? Hell no but that is a different matter. If all their currently for sale software wasn't being made available on the net they may have not even bothered in taking down love ROMs. So far that one particular guy running 2 sites has been Nintendo's only target everything else closing is through fear of owners of sites afraid it will happen to them. Before it was all fun and games but now that there are possible consequences they aren't willing to face them which I can't blame them for you wouldn't catch me running an illegal download site that is for sure. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, voicesinthedark said:

if they were "safe" then why the need to switch? 

To quote a statement from the RetroZone guys.

And just to be clear here there was no legal issues, no notices, no lawyers or police...... Jams just tired of the hassle of running multiple websites and dealing with DMCA requests constantly. This is a chance to reboot everything clean up the mess and move forward, TIZ has/had alot of things about it that made it less secure being so old and never updating then a point came where it was decided that JaMbo spent almost 2 decades (20yr) doing this and wanted to cash out.

9 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Nintendo didn't shut ISOZone down fear of Nintendo doing it to them did. While I don't support Nintendo's actions on these things I certainly understand them from their point of view. They are business people doing what they think protects their business. Are they going to stop the illegal downloading of their IP? Hell no but that is a different matter. If all their currently for sale software wasn't being made available on the net they may have not even bothered in taking down love ROMs. So far that one particular guy running 2 sites has been Nintendo's only target everything else closing is through fear of owners of sites afraid it will happen to them. Before it was all fun and games but now that there are possible consequences they aren't willing to face them which I can't blame them for you wouldn't catch me running an illegal download site that is for sure. 

Yeah sorry I should have been more clear when I said "..thanks to Nintendo.." and specified that I mentioned the domino effect from the situation with Nintendo and Roms.

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

And just to be clear here there was no legal issues, no notices, no lawyers or police...... Jams just tired of the hassle of running multiple websites and dealing with DMCA requests constantly. This is a chance to reboot everything clean up the mess and move forward, TIZ has/had alot of things about it that made it less secure being so old and never updating then a point came where it was decided that JaMbo spent almost 2 decades (20yr) doing this and wanted to cash out.

I knew I was tired when I read the statement, but somehow I totally missed that section. That makes it a whole lot better knowing it's just a changing of the guard type of thing so hopefully nothing important will be lost. This definitely isn't as bad as losing emup. 

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

It's not something to worry about, there are still rom sites and ways to get roms that aren't difficult at all. Hell you can still download roms from EP easy enough with Tamper/Grease Monkey browser plugin and a script.

Okay you just became my new best friend. lol I had no idea about that black magic hoodoo voodoo workaround script thing for EP, thank you so much for mentioning that.

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, Drakkorcia said:

Nintendo and any other company is way too late. Decades late. Why even bother? My view on emulation is the same as it was in the 90's - we are here to preserve games. Without us they die. They can recreate games all they want, it is not the same. Long live emulation.

My sentiments exactly.  Without piracy there is no preservation.  Period.  Companies ultimately do not care one bit about history.  Well maybe one bit,....but it's not really enough to adequately preserve a cultural phenomenon.