LaunchBox Community Forums

WootLauncher: Bezel Overlay & Pause Menu

Making progress. Here are some crappy photos of my computer screen (I don't have the ability to record videos, and the plugin does not support screen captures with Alt-PrintScreen). The pause menu works well for RetroArch (various cores) and Dolphin. It includes support for save states (when supported by a RA core) and a built-in manual viewer.

Here is me about to launch a game in dolphin:

IMG_20181028_135602524.thumb.jpg.bf2ceafe6d284e02123612dadcb6c27c.jpgHere's what is looks like when WootLauncher applies a bezel over dolphin:

IMG_20181028_135837613.thumb.jpg.fafd1210bb435ff2c8fe6c65b507029e.jpgHere's the pause menu when playing zelda using a retroarch core:

IMG_20181028_135948315.thumb.jpg.f4f33fa52c3c2ea068fee1074c817b7e.jpg

• Like 6

More progress today -- now supports gamepad controls, including a simple way to activate the pause screen while using a gamepad to play a game. No more crappy photos today, as the interface currently looks the same as above. Maybe one of these days I'll setup video capture so I can post a video of it working.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

does the pause menu put a vignette effect over the game?

Yes, the pause menu takes a screenshot of the emulator window and displays it towards the right of the screen, with a vignette overlay applied. That's just how I decided to throw it together for now. I might make it customizable and I'm sure someone can think of a better design than that.

6 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Maybe someone that is beta testing could upload a small video :)

+1 dat

13 hours ago, Nicodemus said:

Wow! I have been searching for just this very thing! Thanks for your work, looking forward to using this!

No problem, hope it helps. I know I'll use it.

13 hours ago, Nicodemus said:

Would this be universal for all emulators? also including windows games?

Currently I'm focused on emulators, and it will only work for those which at a minimum have hotkeys for pause and resume. If an emulator has hotkeys that support save/load states, this plugin can probably support that, too. I've shown it works for Dolphin and a bunch of RetroArch cores (which are what I use). If someone wants to test with other emulators, that would be great.

4 hours ago, eatkinola said:

No problem, hope it helps. I know I'll use it.

Currently I'm focused on emulators, and it will only work for those which at a minimum have hotkeys for pause and resume. If an emulator has hotkeys that support save/load states, this plugin can probably support that, too. I've shown it works for Dolphin and a bunch of RetroArch cores (which are what I use). If someone wants to test with other emulators, that would be great.

I could help test it on many different emulators. However I am not skilled enough to fix the errors or issues, I could only report them. I'm on windows 10, if I can help in that way please send me the plugin to test.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nicodemus said:

I could help test it on many different emulators. However I am not skilled enough to fix the errors or issues, I could only report them. I'm on windows 10, if I can help in that way please send me the plugin to test.

Sounds great, that'd be a big help. Next time I have an update, I'll add you to the testing thread which has instructions how to setup and test. I use Windows 7, so having more testing on W10 would be helpful. Hopefully I'll have an update this weekend; working on the fadeout back to Bigbox.

1 hour ago, damageinc86 said:

Does the save/load slot expand to the right to show the available slots to select?

It doesn't expand, but when highlighting the load or save button you can use left/right to cycle through state slots. On my todo list is showing a screenshot of the selected state, perhaps also with a date and time stamp; would probably show that to the right of the save and load buttons.
IMG_20181028_135948315.thumb.jpg.f4f33fa52c3c2ea068fee1074c817b7e.jpg

• Like 1