Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
faeran

Retrotastic

Recommended Posts

I made a couple of quick changes to the animations because in my opinion, they took too long to appear.

As you can see in the video, they aren't perfect, especially for the nintendo 64 game boxes. I wanted to create another game view, but I don't know how to do it.

It would be better to be able to calculate the position and height of the game box dynamically to get closer to the cartridge.

However, with this mod I really like this theme and it has become my favorite. I also really like Unified but it has the problem of videos that are too small.

I wanted to know what you think. 

(sorry for my english)


https://streamable.com/2v3fm

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 3:44 PM, Sdentau92 said:

I made a couple of quick changes to the animations because in my opinion, they took too long to appear.

As you can see in the video, they aren't perfect, especially for the nintendo 64 game boxes. I wanted to create another game view, but I don't know how to do it.

It would be better to be able to calculate the position and height of the game box dynamically to get closer to the cartridge.

However, with this mod I really like this theme and it has become my favorite. I also really like Unified but it has the problem of videos that are too small.

I wanted to know what you think. 

(sorry for my english)


https://streamable.com/2v3fm

I like that modification.

Hey @faeran,  any chance of officially adding Sdentau92's idea as an official alternate game view?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed one bug on the theme.  When there is no video, it plays a slideshow of still images.  Very cool.  But then, when I switch to other platforms that have videos, the last image always stays on top and the videos (while heard) can not be seen.  I have to close the theme and re-open it to fix. 

R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scratcher said:

I like that modification.

Hey @faeran,  any chance of officially adding Sdentau92's idea as an official alternate game view?

It would be very nice. Surely the developer will be able to create even better animations with my idea.

I'm attaching the files of the animations that I have modified. Maybe it can help the developer of the theme and if someone wants to try the changes, just replace the two files in the Styles folder of the theme.

Make a backup of the original files if you don't want to lose the original animations.

Retrostatic_mod.zip

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alnyden said:

I've noticed one bug on the theme.  When there is no video, it plays a slideshow of still images.  Very cool.  But then, when I switch to other platforms that have videos, the last image always stays on top and the videos (while heard) can not be seen.  I have to close the theme and re-open it to fix. 

R

yes, this happens to me too.

Another problem I have is that sometimes videos don't start. I have to change game and come back to get it started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found one more bug.  If you have a default background where an image goes into the video area (or a background for a playlist or anything else), if a game specific background replaces it, you will still see the default background in the video area, although the rest of the background is replaced.

Thanks and really enjoying the theme!

R

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry guys, just came back from vacation and saw all of this.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:47 AM, Scratcher said:

I like that modification.

Hey @faeran,  any chance of officially adding Sdentau92's idea as an official alternate game view?

Before I released Retrotastic, I actually made a version similar to this, but just never released it. Maybe I can get to packaging this together at some point to release it as an alternative version.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, alnyden said:

I've noticed one bug on the theme.  When there is no video, it plays a slideshow of still images.  Very cool.  But then, when I switch to other platforms that have videos, the last image always stays on top and the videos (while heard) can not be seen.  I have to close the theme and re-open it to fix. 

R

This theme uses @eatkinola's plugin to display video. Maybe he can comment on what may be going on. I spent the morning trying to duplicate this and haven't been able to. Which versions of Windows do you guys use?

On 10/10/2018 at 11:38 AM, alnyden said:

Found one more bug.  If you have a default background where an image goes into the video area (or a background for a playlist or anything else), if a game specific background replaces it, you will still see the default background in the video area, although the rest of the background is replaced.

Thanks and really enjoying the theme!

R

Unfortunately, this is actually not quite a bug. Game specific backgrounds only overlay on top of the platform/playlist background, and doesn't replace it. This is written in the documentation where it states:

"The background will overlay on top of the platform background (not replace it). When creating these backgrounds, make sure you keep in mind of where theme elements are positioned"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, faeran said:
On 10/8/2018 at 11:00 AM, alnyden said:

I've noticed one bug on the theme.  When there is no video, it plays a slideshow of still images.  Very cool.  But then, when I switch to other platforms that have videos, the last image always stays on top and the videos (while heard) can not be seen.  I have to close the theme and re-open it to fix. 

This theme uses @eatkinola's plugin to display video. Maybe he can comment on what may be going on. I spent the morning trying to duplicate this and haven't been able to. Which versions of Windows do you guys use?

Thanks for the report; it has to do with the plugin. I can reproduce it as follows on a platform view: (1) select a platform that has no platform video or game videos and it will display a slideshow of game fanart, (2) select next a platform that does have a platform video and it will demonstrate the problem @alnyden mentioned. Since I can reproduce it, I can fix it. I've got a lot on my plate at work now, though, so It'll be 2-3 weeks before I can get to this but I'll fix it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scratcher said:

Part 4 of the NES Backgrounds is finally done! Enjoy!

 

Awesome @Scratcher!

 

I just updated Retrotastic. Made a couple fixes and added a 4th view that removes the box and cart/disc.

I've also added an alternate version of the theme called Retrotastic Quick that makes the appearance of the theme elements much quicker.

Let me know if anyone finds any issues with them and I'll fix them up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, faeran said:

Awesome @Scratcher!

 

I just updated Retrotastic. Made a couple fixes and added a 4th view that removes the box and cart/disc.

I've also added an alternate version of the theme called Retrotastic Quick that makes the appearance of the theme elements much quicker.

Let me know if anyone finds any issues with them and I'll fix them up.

Thanks for the update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, faeran said:

Awesome @Scratcher!

 

I just updated Retrotastic. Made a couple fixes and added a 4th view that removes the box and cart/disc.

I've also added an alternate version of the theme called Retrotastic Quick that makes the appearance of the theme elements much quicker.

Let me know if anyone finds any issues with them and I'll fix them up.

Just noticed in the view w/o box art (thanks for that by the way), the star ratings show over the middle of the video instead of the top left screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alnyden said:

Just noticed in the view w/o box art (thanks for that by the way), the star ratings show over the middle of the video instead of the top left screen.

Thanks for letting me know. This has been fixed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys, I just updated my Background Packs with a Sega 32X Pack.

It includes Background for all released 32X games (including EU only "DarXide" and Jap only "Sangokushi IV")

+ Backgrounds for the 32X Prototypes of "Soulstar X", "Virtua Hamster" and "X-Men"

+Background for the 32X Homebrew of "Wolfenstein 3D"

Preview Pics:

Spoiler

2.thumb.png.1eb81651d374ba04f63033c995a52061.png1.thumb.png.1d287ae29525961e4bb818ae3842f7ef.png

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have started working on Capcom CPS1 Games.

When the first pack is done it, will also come with Platform Backgrounds for Arcade, Capcom Classics aswell as Capcom CPS1 which won't have any artwork crossing the video border.

Here are 3 preview Pics:

Spoiler

cadillacs.thumb.png.57a71fb90b077c2bf69627c4eb1e84eb.png1782991651_captainc.thumb.png.6d26b3e2cc5690972ff2545ff951dc98.pngdynasty.thumb.png.100bba2513ea35819d6a46d1119e79e4.png

 

Edited by Scratcher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CPS1 Game Backgrounds are done and uploaded!

It comes with 30 game themes and hopefully covers all CPS1 games.

I also had to include 3 Platform Backgrounds as replacements in order for those Game Backgrounds to work, since all Arcade Platform Backgrounds that come with Retrotastic have characters crossing over the video border.

The Platforms that will get a replacement with this pack are "Arcade"; "Capcom Classics"; "Capcom Play System".

 

Download at the usual place:

 

Edited by Scratcher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Scratcher said:

CPS1 Game Backgrounds are done and uploaded!

It comes with 30 game themes and hopefully covers all CPS1 games.

I also had to include 3 Platform Backgrounds as replacements in order for those Game Backgrounds to work, since all Arcade Platform Backgrounds that come with Retrotastic have characters crossing over the video border.

The Platforms that will get a replacement with this pack are "Arcade"; "Capcom Classics"; "Capcom Play System".

 

Download at the usual place:

 

 

Thanks you!

I just wanted to give you a little advice. You can compress png images with pngquant.

On windows I use https://pngquant.org/PNGoo.0.1.1.zip to compress the PNG and it works great. You can also download other programs that use this compression on this site:
https://pngquant.org/

The background folder for CPS1 has changed from 80mb to 16mb. It's a nice space saving and the images don't lose quality

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sdentau92 said:

 

Thanks you!

I just wanted to give you a little advice. You can compress png images with pngquant.

On windows I use https://pngquant.org/PNGoo.0.1.1.zip to compress the PNG and it works great. You can also download other programs that use this compression on this site:
https://pngquant.org/

The background folder for CPS1 has changed from 80mb to 16mb. It's a nice space saving and the images don't lose quality

Thank you for the recommendation.

I tried the tool and I am sad to say that there still is quality loss when compressing. There always will be when you compress any form of media.

Here is a quick comparison screenshot:

compressed.thumb.png.def3017998034b3480ef4b7dbc15ea7a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...