LaunchBox Community Forums

Upgrading my collection's drive...inquiry...

cleverest

Considering biting the bullet and upgrading my single drive 8TB collection to this: https://www.amazon.com/20TB-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBFBE0200JBK-NESN/dp/B074QW86T4

Anyone have suggestions or alternatives I may want to consider first? Appreciate learning more about what people are doing to get above 8TB....

Thanks!

NOTE: I would love to be able to RAID/mirror a drive at 16TB usable space, but I can't afford a $1300-1500 solution right now. I'd rather rely on something like Backblaze (much slower yes, but a cloud solution for $5 a month...), and at least have a larger collection....for now anyways.

I use this Drivepooling software https://stablebit.com/drivepool all it does is creates a folder on each drive you add to the pool then everything in the pool is seen as one drive you can then set different levels of duplication as you see fit. you can even add things outside of the pool and use the drive just like you would any other drive. It leaves your drives in ntfs format and if you lose a drive you just pop a new one in add it to the pool and it will find the files that are missing duplication (if you have it set) and it will just add them to the new drive I've been using it since 2012 and its one of the best software purchases I've ever made.

image.thumb.png.ca8d1f6739e46d64e5f169cf3b33a777.pngimage.thumb.png.2a6ae8ce128aba4251fd87e205d9e276.png

That is often a source of frustration unless money is no object, which it is to me. I filled up my 8TB, so tonight even though it hurt I just deleted my NDS, N3DS, PSP, PSP-Minis & MSU-1 titles. Reason is I would not have really played those all that much anyway, except the MSU-1 titles. Though I needed the space for my newly acquired 1,200+ PS2 titles. I guess I had to decide between spending money or deleting games I was not likely to play all that much. I started out trying to obtain every game on every system but it just got out of control so I have been cutting back. I know that probably does not help, but would you possibly go down that route also?

Edited by Dane
  • Like 1

Currently setting at 154,000 games. I have 4 8tb and have changed Launchbox setup to reflect the drive each system is on. I always wait until Black Friday and Walmart here has them on sale for 99 dollars. Check you local Walmart. This year I want to start buying a couple to start doing backups.

• Like 1

Good advice guys. I think i'll do both...multiple 8TB builds for completion sake and to have a solid ps3/wiiU/Wii collection, and also create a smaller (highly curated collection which i'd likely use most), which I know I can get down to 3-4tb easily...ao much crap out there I don't care to play.

• 4 weeks later...
On November 2, 2018 at 7:02 PM, DOS76 said:

I use this Drivepooling software https://stablebit.com/drivepool all it does is creates a folder on each drive you add to the pool then everything in the pool is seen as one drive you can then set different levels of duplication as you see fit. you can even add things outside of the pool and use the drive just like you would any other drive. It leaves your drives in ntfs format and if you lose a drive you just pop a new one in add it to the pool and it will find the files that are missing duplication (if you have it set) and it will just add them to the new drive I've been using it since 2012 and its one of the best software purchases I've ever made.

image.thumb.png.ca8d1f6739e46d64e5f169cf3b33a777.pngimage.thumb.png.2a6ae8ce128aba4251fd87e205d9e276.png

That reminds me I need to buy two more drives for my computer that has all my photos, music, and blu-rays I copied and use Kodi to watch. How much duplication do you do?