LaunchBox Community Forums

Downloading missing art

dominikabra

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue. I was about asking the question, glad to see i'm not the one having the problem... I can try to automatically scrap and rescrap and rescrap everything,  i have to manually scrap games as maybe 40% of my games have that issue.

I have a lifetime Emumovie account and that doesn't help. Data can be downloaded when i do it manually but not automatically :( and i have thousands rom ! :(

3 hours ago, Elhora said:

I have the same issue. I was about asking the question, glad to see i'm not the one having the problem... I can try to automatically scrap and rescrap and rescrap everything,  i have to manually scrap games as maybe 40% of my games have that issue.

I have a lifetime Emumovie account and that doesn't help. Data can be downloaded when i do it manually but not automatically :( and i have thousands rom ! :(

Let's hope this gets some visibility from the devs and hopefuly they can fix it!

10 minutes ago, dominikabra said:

Let's hope this gets some visibility from the devs and hopefuly they can fix it!

You forgot to say my name 3 times or I'd have been here by now..... ;)

Just need some information to help track some stuff down since I can't currently replicate.

Are you refreshing your images after using the tool?
Do the images you are attempting to download show up in the edit screen after?
Are they in your images folder and NOT in LaunchBox?
Do you have the LB ID for one of the games you are having issues with?
Are you seeing any errors when downloading?

3 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Just need some information to help track some stuff down since I can't currently replicate.

Will check and get back to you, not on my main computer right now and can't provide the requested answers. Thank you very much!

17 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Updated to 10.10 before the testing. Just went through the whole procedure just in case I was doing something wrong and the results were almost 100% optimal. Only a few games (prototypes, unlicensed, etc.) were not detected in the Database (thus having no LB ID) and no media was available, which I would consider a success. Pretty sure I always checked all the download media options (mainly when testing for the issue) but I wonder if that made any difference in the test I just made (read below) with respect to the previous tests when I opened the thread.

Tools --> Import Games --> "Select files to import" points to the folder of the roms (they are in sub-folders like "A-D" for games starting with "A" to "D", to make it easier and faster to explore in Windows) --> Platform for imported games "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" and "show default platforms" is on --> Emulator chosen "snes9x" --> "Use files in their current location" --> "Search for game information from the Launchbox Games Database (Recommended)" --> check all the possible images to download (for testing purposes) --> don't have Emumovies --> leave default "custom options" checked.

Imported all the SNES Roms from the no-intro set and have found issues with some games as mentioned (unlicensed, prototypes, etc). Regarding your questions, I will answer what happened with previous versions:

• Are you refreshing your images after using the tool? 
    • Yes, no changes
  • Do the images you are attempting to download show up in the edit screen after?
    • No
  • Are they in your images folder and NOT in LaunchBox?
    • Can't check anymore after update
  • Do you have the LB ID for one of the games you are having issues with?
    • Some of the troublesome games were "Metal Warriors" (LB ID 3849) and "Mick and Mack as the Global Gladiators" (LB ID 142867)
  • Are you seeing any errors when downloading?
    • No errors were shown

Have tried with the Master System set (for testing purposes, same options as before) and everything went smoothly. Will try to import more sets and if the problem persists, now I know how to summon you. Thanks a lot and keep up the great work!

I’m having the same issue or very similar. Running latest version and have both emu and launch box licenses. My Platforms scraped fine but a lot of the Arcade ROMs did not. I had both launchbox and emu selected during the scrape. Scrapping again for missing media does nothing. If I manually edit the game the launchboxdb has a few fields while the remainder are in emu. I can download from here fine. I have hundreds of games missing media. Is there an fix for this. 

Edit: Should also mention that I used a complete .219 MAME rom set and used the import rom set option when initially importing.

Edited by mmag05

Having used Launchbox for a long time and done multiple builds, this has always existed. You can import a system, and then select Download Media and Metadata for that system (telling it not to overwrite existing media), and it'll find more art. And more a third time. And always if you manually download on a per game basis, it gets all of it for that game. It's always missed some art even if Launchbox matches the game to the database on import.

However, I've never seen anything like 40 percent. Maybe like 5 percent or less. If you notice, most times you import a full system you'll get an error log of files that failed to download for whatever reason. I always chalked it up to that, and though I have no idea how the back end of any of this works, I kinda was thinking alternating internet / server speeds and emumovies server speeds might time out individual files occasionally, but that's just a guess.   

Here is an example with Q-Bert on Microsoft MSX plateform.

On the first screenshot you can see text infos are ok, but no media.

When i click on the manual edit, you can see the game is known in the Launchbox DB ID but no media downloaded.

When i click on Download pictures, you can see Launchbox downloads some media. Once validated, Media are shown in the Launchbox. None of the  media where in the folder before i do it manualy and no errors occured during the import phase.

This happens for half of my games, No matter the platform i tried...  I have a lifetime Emumovies Account just in case i was limited with free account but no.... :( And when i try to look for automatically missing media, it ends with "0 updated games"....

LBnoMedia-1.jpg

LBnoMedia-2.jpg

LBnoMedia-3.jpg

LBnoMedia-4.jpg

Edited by Elhora

17 hours ago, Elhora said:

Here is an example with Q-Bert on Microsoft MSX plateform.

On the first screenshot you can see text infos are ok, but no media.

When i click on the manual edit, you can see the game is known in the Launchbox DB ID but no media downloaded.

When i click on Download pictures, you can see Launchbox downloads some media. Once validated, Media are shown in the Launchbox. None of the  media where in the folder before i do it manualy and no errors occured during the import phase.

This happens for half of my games, No matter the platform i tried...  I have a lifetime Emumovies Account just in case i was limited with free account but no.... :( And when i try to look for automatically missing media, it ends with "0 updated games"....

LBnoMedia-1.jpg

LBnoMedia-2.jpg

LBnoMedia-3.jpg

LBnoMedia-4.jpg

That's exactly what happened to me for a long time until I last tried. Weird to see it's such an apparently random bug... Hope the Devs can hunt it down.

I tried today to rescrap all missing media and nothing changed.... Half of the games found are not updated if i don't manually do them one by one.... Goshhh Thousands of games concerned on so many plateform, one life wouldn't be enough ! :(

Edited by Elhora

Should try to summon @C-Beats again and see if they can keep an eye on this. It seems the problem comes and goes, regardless of version used. I myself suffered it for quite a long time but I see there's many users still having it.

Now that I come to think of it, I recently upgraded my PC so I did a clean Windows 10 install but upgraded my existing portable installation of LaunchBox. Also, the problem is now gone after I purchased the license. Don't know if it may have something to do with the issue but I thought I'd point that out just in case.

Hoping this will help folks afflicted with the OPs problem.  I haven't been using the software long but happened on a solution that worked for me.

1. Start off by auditing the system with the missing images
  2. In the spreadsheet that opens click on the column for Box Images (or your chosen missing artwork) to sort.  You should click until all the zero values are at the top.
  3. Click the top entry in the top left cell (not the link, in the empty area), then shift+click the last cell with a zero value.  Selected roms should all be highlighted.  
  4. Right click on the highlighted block and select Download Meta Data and Media.
  5. Click yes and next until you reach the screen asking if you want to keep or overwrite current media.  Select the recommended keep setting in the middle.
  6. Let it do it's thing.  When complete, you will see that nothing has updated.  Do not despair.
  7. Click on one of the games, click control+A to select all and hit F5 to refresh all images.

**NOTE*** This will only work on roms that otherwise get their metadata filled out but need manual intervention to get the pictures.

HTH!

And thanks to the team for the great, tho sometimes confusing Launcher.
Edited by FellowTraveller

• 3 weeks later...

You're not going crazy @dominikabra - I'm seeing exactly the same thing on a fresh install of the latest release. I've tried a bunch of things but the only way to get the art for some titles is as you say, edit them one by one, which does suggest there is a match so why can't it be done in bulk. Please let us know what you needs, logs etc to help resolve this one.

8 hours ago, walchst said:

You're not going crazy @dominikabra - I'm seeing exactly the same thing on a fresh install of the latest release. I've tried a bunch of things but the only way to get the art for some titles is as you say, edit them one by one, which does suggest there is a match so why can't it be done in bulk. Please let us know what you needs, logs etc to help resolve this one.

Latest official release or the latest beta release?

Beta has quite a few changes regarding media downloads and would be curious to know if others are experiencing the same issues in that build.