LaunchBox Community Forums

This video sums up how I feel about videogames

Kondorito

6 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I really feel bad for people who never got to grow up in an arcade like I did, being a child of the 70s and 80s was the best.

It really was wasn't it, I realized this many times before. Many things where pioneering as well, like consoles, computers, candy experiments (not sure if all that candy was good for us though, damn), special effects, amazing films geared towards kids, toy lines you name it. We are lucky people to have been there, now it is our duty to rub it in/conserve the good stuff lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zanak said:

I never grew up with the arcades, but I did grow up with the snes, N64 and gamecube, and am grateful for that. It seems the quality of gaming has been degrading as the years go by, perhaps it's just nostalgia speaking but I don't think so....

I see a change as well, the games become longer and more complex, amazing games non the less but I cant bring myself anymore to finish these epic journeys of 100s of play hours even though they are amazing works of art it takes a lot of time and therefor I didn't finish a lot of these games in the end, feeling I could have saved some bucks lol. I've grown more to short games now going back in time where you could beat a game in an hour or a weekend, excluding some rpg's ofcourse. Also it seems games are released in fast succession it feels a bit like overkill but it could be i'm just getting older.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zanak said:

It seems the quality of gaming has been degrading as the years go by

I cannot agree with this at all.

Are there shitty games out there ? Yes of course but there was a ton of shit back in the old days as well, just look at the plethora of "mascot platformers" from the 16 bit era or the janky ass 3D stuff from the 32 bit era. Tons of shit there that just gets conveniently ignored in favor of the "classics" we all know and love today. The difference now is we have them all at our fingertips so we can pick and choose which we play instead having to wait patiently for the good games to come out like we did back then.

Do companies like EA, UbiSoft and others try to milk us with bullshit micro transactions ? Yes, of course they do but you just ignore them and look for the good games that don't try and milk us like the cash cows we are. CD Projekt Red and and all the great indie games out there prove this time and time again, for every garbage game that tries to squeeze every penny out of us with micro transactions I bet I can find a great game that doesn't.

Treat those mainstream game companies the same as pop music, ignore it and go look for what you do like. Just to use the music industry as an example, people always complain about how the music today sucks and I say bullshit to that too. I am a metal fan and people I know say there is no good metal anymore but there is plenty of it if you look for it.

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

No they definitely mass produce games now to cash in on the latest model each year and a lot of franchises do this.

This also happened back in the day though admittedly not on quite the same level but if you want proof of this just look at the video game crash in the 80s. This was caused by all the garbage games being shoveled on to the market by companies trying to cash in, no different than today.

This whole "video games today suck" is just old man syndrome (and I am an old man by most standards) but I don't see it that way, in fact I see the opposite. I see so many amazing games coming out all the time and wonder how the hell I am ever gonna play them all. Two quick examples right now is God of War and Spiderman on the PS4, I don't have them yet but they are great games. I have games I have bought and haven't even gotten around to playing them yet like Bloodborne and Ni No Kuni. Want another example of an amazing game showing how great gaming is and how far it has come ? Look at Zelda: Breath of the Wild, we wouldn't even dare to dream such a game could exist back in the 80s and 90s.

No, gaming is degrading at all, it's getting better all the time, just ignore the trash and focus on the great stuff that is coming. When Cyberpunk 2077 comes out the internet is gonna go quiet for 2 weeks because everyone will shut themselves in and play the fuck out of that shit.

• Like 1

I am stuck in the past, I prefer older TV shows, my favorite decades of films are the thirties and forties, there is not a lot of music I like that is post-00's and my 'old-soul' certainly applies to video games also. Regarding TV shows it is easy to say modern TV sucks because of the endless cesspool that is reality-TV. Though, at the same time they say we are in the golden-age of television because there are so many amazing drama-series being made. After all, despite mainly loving really old shows Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows of all time.

So, someone enlighten me about modern games. I tend to think older games were better in general but in particular a better challenge. I am not talking about near impossible to beat old games that are difficult because they are crap due to being poorly designed regarding bad controls and the likes, but a good challenge like Donkey Kong. What would be ratio be these days of good and crap? I have watched my sister play The Witcher 3 on PS4 and whilst it looks amazing, immersive and I am sure there are challenging parts it just feels like you breeze through it fairly easily. It is just huge and in depth, it is more like half controlling a movie compared to being a real challenge.

I suppose one could write an essay on all the differences and there is good and bad to everything in every era and it comes down to individual preference. I am sure too that myself being an individual who is greatly affected by nostalgia that I automatically cling to and view everything from yesteryear as being superior enjoyment-wise, harboring more purity and sincerity.

P.S. I do not follow any sports, for the most part I hate sports. However, I love sports games! Particularly Golf, Soccer and Hockey.

4 minutes ago, Dane said:

What would be ratio be these days of good and crap?

I have no idea what the ratio would be but I wouldn't say it's much different than in the past, there really is a lot of garbage games in the past as well.

5 minutes ago, Dane said:

I have watched my sister play The Witcher 3 on PS4 and whilst it looks amazing, immersive and I am sure there are challenging parts it just feels like you breeze through it fairly easily.

Like many games, there is a difficulty adjustment, try playing it on death march difficulty. If you want challenging try out some games like the Souls series or Nioh some time.

6 minutes ago, Dane said:

it comes down to individual preference

That's very true of course but just because we have a lot of 3rd person open world games such as The Witcher 3 there are a ton of old school types of games as well. Try out something like Nex Machina or Dead Cells some time, great old school vibe games that can be quite challenging.

I really do feel like people are cherry picking their favourites from way back when they were kids and forgetting all the trash from back then *cough* Pac-Man Atari 2600 *cough* while at the same time cherry picking the egregious shit from today while ignoring the true gems that we have today. We live in a great time in gaming right now where if you want the large sprawling open words of Breath of the Wild, Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn we can have them but at the same time we can have modern takes on old school game play such as Nex Machina and Dead Cells (and countless others). Indie devs have never had it so easy to get their games to the market with online distribution and not relying on having a publisher willing to shell out the production costs to get the games to market. If the big name devs and publishers of old aren't giving us what we want there are a ton of great indie devs out there giving us great new games, you just have to look around instead of writing off modern games as trash.

Sure it's easy to write off the next Call of Duty game as just another FPS game milking the market but it really is no different than all the mascot platformers of the 16 bit era, fuck you Bubsy.

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

I have no idea what the ratio would be but I wouldn't say it's much different than in the past, there really is a lot of garbage games in the past as well.

Yes of course. There were many times my porcket money would get spent renting a game from the video store only to be greatly disappointed.

Like many games, there is a difficulty adjustment, try playing it on death march difficulty. If you want challenging try out some games like the Souls series or Nioh some time.

Nioh looks pretty cool, I might look into giving it a go on Windows.

That's very true of course but just because we have a lot of 3rd person open world games such as The Witcher 3 there are a ton of old school types of games as well. Try out something like Nex Machina or Dead Cells some time, great old school vibe games that can be quite challenging.

Yeah, I have quite a few I would put in this category on my Windows LB like Hollow Knight and Super Meat Boy which I enjoy very much.

I really do feel like people are cherry picking their favourites from way back when they were kids and forgetting all the trash from back then *cough* Pac-Man Atari 2600 *cough* while at the same time cherry picking the egregious shit from today while ignoring the true gems that we have today. We live in a great time in gaming right now where if you want the large sprawling open words of Breath of the Wild, Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn we can have them but at the same time we can have modern takes on old school game play such as Nex Machina and Dead Cells (and countless others). Indie devs have never had it so easy to get their games to the market with online distribution and not relying on having a publisher willing to shell out the production costs to get the games to market. If the big name devs and publishers of old aren't giving us what we want there are a ton of great indie devs out there giving us great new games, you just have to look around instead of writing off modern games as trash.

Yes they do. Same as people saying God must be real because there is too much beauty/symmetry in the universe which is projecting human cognizance onto something that has no cognizance and does not have to give us any answers. They do this whilst ignoring all the chaos/asymmetry. I think that is called selective thinking.

fuck you Bubsy.

Speaking of Bubsy, I made this list about four months ago.

Edited by Dane