LaunchBox Community Forums

Startup screen interfering with emulator focus

ListerD

Hi,

I've been setting up exodos games in LaunchBox via Rocketlauncher.  When running a game directly from RocketLauncher, dosbox opens, launches the game in fullscreen, and the bezel displays correctly.  When launching from Launchbox, the game launches, but it is hidden behind the game startup screen.  I've tried the individual and combinations of startup override settings, but nothing works other than disabling the startup screen, which is a shame as that's a pretty cool feature.  Looks like its some sort of window focus issue.  Would be glad to try any other tweaks/settings if anyone has any ideas.  I'm running Windows 10, Launchbox 9.2

Thx!

• Like 1

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. The Startup screens in LB do work if you are not using bezels in RL.  Might also be an issue with overlays, but I haven't tested that independently.  I've decided to go with bezels and no startup screens for MAME and no bezels and startup screens for DOS.  

Similar issue for focus but without rocketlauncher (good riddance = I removed it in favour of LB/BB being 'one to rule them all') .

Focus on exiting games seems to bring launchbox to the front - with the exit screen still playing behind it mostly on standalone emulators like PPSSPP. Retroarch is usually fine exiting, and everything works great with the startup screens - just the exit focus is the problem.

Found a semi solution that worked for me. In the Launchbox program go into Tools/Manage Emulators. Choose RocketLauncher and click edit. Go to the Game Startup Tab. Then set Startup Load Delay to around  1 second. It has worked so far but no longer displays the game over screen for some reason.  Any further hints or if this helps anyone else figure out a better solution pass it along and thanks again to all those involved in this community. Everyones advise and information has been invaluable in my build.

thanks mrcleen74, I'll give this a try this weekend. I'm running several emulators through RL so I'll post which this does/does not work for if there are differences, as I noticed some quirks with this as i was working on my system over the holiday.  

Agree, great community that has helped me immensely with my build.  

I am having the same issue. I run LaunchBox/BigBox with rocket launcher and all games/emulators run behind the launchbox screen. Even disabled the startup screen in 9.2. Downgraded to 9.1 and everything works as advertised. Guess I'll stay with 9.1 until this issue is fixed. 

Edited by GatorCoop

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 8:20 PM, mrcleen74 said:

Found a semi solution that worked for me. In the Launchbox program go into Tools/Manage Emulators. Choose RocketLauncher and click edit. Go to the Game Startup Tab. Then set Startup Load Delay to around  1 second. It has worked so far but no longer displays the game over screen for some reason.  Any further hints or if this helps anyone else figure out a better solution pass it along and thanks again to all those involved in this community. Everyones advise and information has been invaluable in my build.

Hey mrcleen74, finally got around to trying your fix of adjusting the delay to around 1 second instead of the default.  Has worked with several MAME games that I tested.  Will further test with other systems as well.  I just upgraded to 9.3 before tryin this, so it works there too.  Nice find, thanks!

On 12/27/2018 at 12:15 PM, GatorCoop said:

I am having the same issue. I run LaunchBox/BigBox with rocket launcher and all games/emulators run behind the launchbox screen. Even disabled the startup screen in 9.2. Downgraded to 9.1 and everything works as advertised. Guess I'll stay with 9.1 until this issue is fixed. 

All you need to do is disable the new startup screens under Tools > Options > Game Startup in LaunchBox, and Options > Game Startup in Big Box. Support gave me this solution and it works great, no need to downgrade or mess with emulators.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, mrcleen74 said:

This is working for me kinda. My only problem is now the mouse cursor shows while the game is playing

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Sbaby said:

I have been trying all possible methods for 10 hours but with rocket launcher I can no longer run the games, especially Daphne I liked with RL bezels, please fix this big bug

Our startup/shutdown screens are a replacement for the RocketLauncher ones, they cannot be used at the same time as each other, you need to choose one or the other.

15 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Our startup/shutdown screens are a replacement for the RocketLauncher ones, they cannot be used at the same time as each other, you need to choose one or the other.

it's not true ! I removed all the launchbox screens but rocket launcher does not work as before, the game is minimized and I cannot even resume it . I can't choose between one or the other, I can only choose launchbox but I lose the bezels . How do I insert bezels for daphne without rocket launcher?

1 minute ago, Sbaby said:

it's not true ! I removed all the launchbox screens but rocket launcher does not work as before, the game is minimized and I cannot even resume it . I can't choose between one or the other, I can only choose launchbox but I lose the bezels . How do I insert bezels for daphne without rocket launcher?

If you want to use RocketLauncher for bezels then you cannot use our startup screens. If games are starting minimized then that sounds like a RocketLauncher issue, as that is launching the game. RocketLauncher may need updating to work with the latest 11.3 version of Launchbox.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 2:39 PM, neil9000 said:

If you want to use RocketLauncher for bezels then you cannot use our startup screens. If games are starting minimized then that sounds like a RocketLauncher issue, as that is launching the game. RocketLauncher may need updating to work with the latest 11.3 version of Launchbox.

I removed all the rocket launcher but the problem persists randomly, for example with daphne singe i have to play with the lightgun and it is set to start Fullscreen_window. Sometimes it works well while other times it don't stays in focus, stays minimized and there is no possibility to play with it, not even with alt-tab, you only see the bigbox screen and I have to do altf4 and turn off the bigbox. I have tried many things, even completely removing all the bigbox loading screens, and I have deleted all the emulator settings, but there is nothing to do. This is a launchbox bug

Edited by Sbaby