LaunchBox Community Forums

[Solved] BigBox performance issues over time (When returning from games)

Zaazu

7 hours ago, pomod said:

Obviously bigbox has massive problems with the background videos

Also that is not the case. It is unfortunate that you seem to be having some issues with it, but 99% of users are using VLC as the player just fine with zero issues, myself included.

6 minutes ago, pomod said:

City Hunbter2, Unified..., BarTop, Aeon..., Retrotastic, NeonDeluxeArcade and even FluxCRT

During testing, do make sure you stick with the themes that are built-in to Big Box (available in the themes downloader), as they have been fully tested and are known stable themes. Sometimes themes from the forums can have minor issues. However, I'm not convinced that that's the issue that you're running into here, based on the themes that you've tested.

Per Windows Media Player, it definitely sounds like a codec issue, or a theme issue, or a combination of those issues. There are some themes from the forums that do not work properly with WMP or VLC or vice versa. So first off, stick with a theme from the built-in themes manager, then try Windows Media Player.

Per VLC, there is a known issue with some of themes from the forums that they can cause performance issues. It's possible that your system specs are too low, or that you're just testing themes that have that issue. If you use themes from the built-in themes manager, that should not be a problem, however.

hmm, tried it now on my Ryzen with an EVGA 1060. The PC with the problems was a i7 2600K.

I noticed that the i7 did not show any GPU load in the Task Manager. On the Ryzen, bigbox used the 1060 GPU.

So I will change the grafic cards now and try to figure it out.

1 minute ago, pomod said:

hmm, tried it now on my Ryzen with an EVGA 1060. The PC with the problems was a i7 2600K.

I noticed that the i7 did not show any GPU load in the Task Manager. On the Ryzen, bigbox used the 1060 GPU.

It's possible that for some reason VLC was not being accelerated by the GPU.

4 minutes ago, pomod said:

Just to add, my system is a Ryzen 7 1700x and a GTX 1060, and i have never experienced this issue.

Sorry, my fault.... it used the GPU too. I just did not mention that bigbox was already closed the first time I look at it because I was too shocked about the 90% CPU load. ?

Tested the Ryzen now..... and it works fine!!! << [Have copied the same data to the Ryzen, so that it is comparable]

The "old" i7 works great at start but after a short time I have to kill the process because it hangs up. (i7-2600k@3.4GHz/4.2GHz/5GHz, 16GB RAM, tested graphic cards: 760, 960, 1060)

Is that system already too old for Bigbox??? AttractMode, EmulationStation, etc. are all working without any problems. With many emulators the old i7 performs better than the new Ryzen so there is no reason for me to change anything.

I could test bigbox on my i3-9100F@4.2GHz (in my Arcade Cabinet). But it works with an Arcade-VGA from Ultimarc, so I guess that might be a problem for bigbox too. On the other hand - I don't want bigbox running on my cabinet, sorry ?

Is there any chance that this problem get fixed? The system is still good enough and I can play the same multiple videos in VLC, but if bigbox plays the same videos the CPU is freaking out?!?!? So it looks like a bigbox problem to me.

Edited by pomod

Whatever it is, it's most likely a one-off issue, as I haven't heard of anyone else running into similar issues. That CPU should be fine with Big Box.

What theme(s) are you using? Are you using the ones from the built-in themes manager? If it does prove to be an issue with VLC, you can always use Windows Media Player. It sounds like you're running into multiple odd issues though, so figuring all of it out may be a real bear. You can try turning on Debug logging in the LaunchBox options and then posting the log; that might help us figure it out.

Most of the themes I used were downloaded from the theme manager. I also tried the repair function. Then I tried the exact same themes, settings, etc. on the Ryzen and it worked without any big problems.

So I am sure the problem is not a single theme. I tested 3 different graphic cards too (one from the working Ryzen-PC).

I activated debugging and hope this helps a bit more. Here is the file.

Debug 2019-07-06 09-17-52 AM.log

Windows Media Player:

Here's another log file with the same settings, but Windows Media Player. As mentioned before, the codecs are installed and the videos are watchable outside bigbox with WMP.

Sometimes they work inside bigbox too and then (f.e. after switching wheels) the videos won't play anymore. Very strange!!!

- Windows 10 - 1806, updated to 1809 on the second bigbox test day (same result)

- VLC > upgraded to version 3.0.7.1  •  Windows 64bit, after the first problems (but same result)

- atm back to K-Lite Codec Pack 15.0.0 (tried different versions and codec packs already)

- My last idea is to spend the PC a fresh Windows 10 installation or (if the problem still exists) just use another frontend ?

Debug 2019-07-06 10-20-21 AM.log

Edited by pomod

I am not sure why the K-Lite codecs didn't work anymore. But it works after reinstalling K-Lite and disabling the Microsoft Decoders again (Microsoft Codec Tweaks).

So I will continue with the actual settings and hope it's stable enough.

1 hour ago, pomod said:

I am not sure why the K-Lite codecs didn't work anymore. But it works after reinstalling K-Lite and disabling the Microsoft Decoders again (Microsoft Codec Tweaks).

So I will continue with the actual settings and hope it's stable enough.

Do you launch big box from Kodi by any chance? Have you tried tools/media clean up?

1 hour ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Do you launch big box from Kodi by any chance? Have you tried tools/media clean up?

No, I do not use Kodi on that PC. I didn't use media clean up because the problems are already on a clean minimal system.

But for the moment it works with Windows Media Player. So I will keep the settings as long as I have no noticeable restrictions.