LaunchBox Community Forums

[Solved] BigBox performance issues over time (When returning from games)

Zaazu

5 minutes ago, Dane said:

Hey, just a quick question regarding caching images in BB. If I do it but then never alter anything as in add games etc is it something I need to do again? As in, is it something that benefits from doing every once in a while or only when a bunch of new games and stuff has been added to the setup?

If you are not adding new games, and therefore new images then no it doesnt need to be done again. If you however run a metadata and media update and it pulls new images then yes it would be advisable to re cache.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If you are not adding new games, and therefore new images then no it doesn't need to be done again. If you however run a metadata and media update and it pulls new images then yes it would be advisable to re cache.

I thought so, but just wanted to make sure. Spank you very much kind sir.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Are you running bigbox within something like Kodi? Have you tried different emulators? If you did was there a difference in the slowdown of Bigbox? Have you tried disabling start and shutdown screens? Another thing you could maybe try is disabling all updates see if this will slow it down and try letting big box do it's thing for like 30 minutes, perhaps it is still caching something or something in the cache was corrupt and it might help in this situation to delete the current cache and let it cache again. Besides these I really don't know what else you can do, except maybe in options turn off using all controllers as well so you use only a single controller. ps Of all these things you can try in combination with eachother, have you also tried changing the theme to a different one?

I am running BigBox from Kodi, but I tested it just by itself, same problem. All emulators cause this problem. Start and shutdown screens are disabled.

I'm confident its nothing to do with the cache as leaving it running causes no performance issues, even after 30min. The problem only appears when returning from playing a game.

10 hours ago, Kondorito said:

@Zaazu try launching Windows in Safe Mode and see if the problem persists. 

Pretty sure safe mode won't work since it uses generic graphics drivers.

• The Cake is a Lie 1

Hmm, that's certainly odd, and nothing I've seen before (CPU getting maxed out like that over time). I noticed that you're running the 2016 Windows 10 release, so my first thought is that maybe there's a glitch in the .NET framework with that older version of Windows 10 that was fixed with the later releases. We've actually seen that happen several times where minor bugs will disappear in LaunchBox and Big Box after an OS update, though I don't believe I've ever seen this particular issue before.

There are a couple of things you can try. First try switching video playback engines to see if that makes any difference. From there, try disabling game controllers in the settings to see if it has anything to do with that. Beyond that, I would see if there are any updates for the .NET Framework that you can install on that version of Windows. And beyond that, though I know it'd be a pain and there's probably a reason you're running the original release of Windows 10, you might consider upgrading to the latest release.

14 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hmm, that's certainly odd, and nothing I've seen before (CPU getting maxed out like that over time). I noticed that you're running the 2016 Windows 10 release, so my first thought is that maybe there's a glitch in the .NET framework with that older version of Windows 10 that was fixed with the later releases. We've actually seen that happen several times where minor bugs will disappear in LaunchBox and Big Box after an OS update, though I don't believe I've ever seen this particular issue before.

There are a couple of things you can try. First try switching video playback engines to see if that makes any difference. From there, try disabling game controllers in the settings to see if it has anything to do with that. Beyond that, I would see if there are any updates for the .NET Framework that you can install on that version of Windows. And beyond that, though I know it'd be a pain and there's probably a reason you're running the original release of Windows 10, you might consider upgrading to the latest release.

Hi,

The version of windows I'm running still gets security upgrades, just without any of the bloatware such as the windows store, cortana and other major updates such as the creators update. The main reason I'm running that version is because the creators update broke a lot of functionality with exclusive mode on DS4 controllers.

Anyways, I'll go through that list on Tuesday and report back if anything is fixed.

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

if its a 2016 build it definitely isn't being updated anymore as EOL for each stable build of 10 is 18 months.

I believe the LTSB builds of windows get updated for about 10 years.

Edit: Is there a way to enable BigBox to output some logs? maybe that'll help if we know what its trying to do while returning to the program.

Edited by Zaazu

Don't want to celebrate just yet, but I switched the video engine to Windows Media Player and the CPU usage went down by a lot.

88H4viK.jpg

I've ran like 15 games and no issues yet.

Edit:

I'm actually pretty confident something with VLC is giving me high CPU usage. I switched back to VLC and immediately BigBox's CPU usage increases to 90%. Changed it back to Media Player and the CPU drops to 10%.

Is there any way for me to update the bundled VLC player or something?

Edited by Zaazu
  • Game On 1

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

No Jason was looking into it but ran into some difficulty and it got put on the back burner. I'd say if WMP is working just stick with that for now

Will do, still running games and returning just fine. I guess I never tried WMP since it had a scary warning "Possible compatibility issues".

37 minutes ago, Zaazu said:

Don't want to celebrate just yet, but I switched the video engine to Windows Media Player and the CPU usage went down by a lot.

I did not have the same issues as you at all but I do remember I initially used VLC but after switching to WMP due to a few issues things were a lot better.