LaunchBox Community Forums

[Solved] BigBox performance issues over time (When returning from games)

Zaazu

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Could it be that VLC got currupted somehow? Might be worth deleting the VLC folder and letting Launchbox recreate it and see if the issue remains.

It does sound like maybe VLC's GPU acceleration isn't working for some reason. I guess that would be my best guess as to what's going on.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It does sound like maybe VLC's GPU acceleration isn't working for some reason. I guess that would be my best guess as to what's going on.

Weird thing is, there's absolutely no problems until I launched one or two games, then it would get bad.

Is there anything I can do to help you figure out what's wrong?

Edited by Zaazu

2 hours ago, Zaazu said:

Weird thing is, there's absolutely no problems until I launched one or two games, then it would get bad.

Is there anything I can do to help you figure out what's wrong?

Whatever's going on, at this point it's pretty clear that it's some kind of system-specific one-off bug. The VLC implementation hasn't been changed in quite a long time, and it's working great for a whole lot of people, so I'm certain that it's not a common issue. That combined with the fact that we're working on upgrading to the 3.x series of VLC (and the fact that it's likely a VLC bug and not a Big Box bug) means it's probably not worth figuring out since WMP is working fine for you anyways.

That said, if it happens only after games are launched, my guess would be that it's some kind of odd conflict or something with having VLC paused in the background while that particular game is running. It could be a driver issue. Regardless, at this point it's really not worth troubleshooting for the reasons I stated above.

6 hours ago, Zaazu said:

Just took a look, it says ###  vlc 2.2.6

Ok gotcha. There is an issue at the moment with the VLC that is bundled with LaunchBox that if you change a setting within the one bundled or upgrade VLC from within LaunchBox ,it changes the settings and the config version in your VLC standalone version to 2.2.6 which is the one that comes with LaunchBox. I am not sure if you have upgraded your standalone VLC to 3.0.6 yet which is the newest version but if you do so, do not upgrade from the one that comes bundled with LaunchBox.

Also if you already have 3.06 installed,just delete the vlcrc file that is in your appdata folder and VLC will create a new config file with the correct version the next time you run standalone VLC. This may or may not fix your issues that you are having with VLC within BigBox but its worth a shot. I am sure @Jason Carr will look into fixing this issue when he upgrades to the newest VLC that comes bundled with LaunchBox.

• Like 2

I just put out 9.4-beta-3, which upgrades VLC to 3.0.6. I've confirmed that LaunchBox and Big Box are not overwriting the settings file in the AppData folder. However, if you manually run VLC.exe from the LaunchBox\VLC folders, it will definitely use and update the AppData configuration. LaunchBox and Big Box make sure that this doesn't happen with custom command-line parameters that are fed to vlc.exe (and/or the libvlc.dll file) when they're used.

The easiest way to manually update the proper VLC settings file is to go to Tools > Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos, and then click Preview on one of the videos. From there, you can update your settings in the VLC app and save them, and it will update the correct file. However, as previously stated, if you just go into the folder and run the vlc.exe file, then it's going to use the default AppData settings file (that's just how VLC works).

Long story short, it was not previously an issue as best I can tell, but the above confusion is probably what was misleading people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I just put out 9.4-beta-3, which upgrades VLC to 3.0.6. I've confirmed that LaunchBox and Big Box are not overwriting the settings file in the AppData folder. However, if you manually run VLC.exe from the LaunchBox\VLC folders, it will definitely use and update the AppData configuration. LaunchBox and Big Box make sure that this doesn't happen with custom command-line parameters that are fed to vlc.exe (and/or the libvlc.dll file) when they're used.

The easiest way to manually update the proper VLC settings file is to go to Tools > Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos, and then click Preview on one of the videos. From there, you can update your settings in the VLC app and save them, and it will update the correct file. However, as previously stated, if you just go into the folder and run the vlc.exe file, then it's going to use the default AppData settings file (that's just how VLC works).

Long story short, it was not previously an issue as best I can tell, but the above confusion is probably what was misleading people.

Thanks for clarifying the "easy and proper way" way to change settings within VLC that comes packed with LaunchBox so it gets saved to the correct settings file and not the one in VLC appdata folder.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Jasons betas are usually very safe to use and it's easy to roll back using a previous version installer in the Launchbox\Updates folder.

I updated to the latest a no major issues other than a small fire ;)

Its nothing personal, it just feels like every time I make a change to something, two other things break :D.

Right now i've got this weird interaction with LaunchBox/BigBox where keyboard commands aren't being passed from InputMapper to any Emulators if I launch them through the frontend, but if I launch them manually with rlauncher, it works fine. Just randomly broke one day, I'll figure it out :P.

Anyways, had like a 10 hour gaming session with friends and no slowdown so deffo fixed with media player.

Edited by Zaazu

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

too bad starting with negative experiences as a new BigBox-User, but it is shocking that the VLC problem still exists. I was about to ask for a refund until I read this. I will give it one more try this weekend and then decide if I continue to use bigbox.

I have not even played a single game with BigBox. ?

It's enough to switch between the setting (f.e. between the wheels) and go back to watch the result. First time the CPU usage climbs over 20+%. After a view times I have to kill the bigbox process with the task manager. Obviously bigbox has massive problems with the background videos, because if another video in the front covers them the lags will be less.

The first impression of Bigbox was unfortunately very negative by this experience, but I hope that improves this weekend. ?

I have new hope after knowing the solution ?

Can't get rid of the problem with VLC. If I switch to Windows Mediaplayer it solves only this problem but ceates a new one >> Bigbox/mediaplayer plays only the sound of the game clips...there is no video!!!

7 minutes ago, pomod said:

Bigbox/mediaplayer plays only the sound of the game clips...there is no video!!!

Sounds like your videos are in a format that Windows Media Player does not support, which is why VLC is the recommended player as it supports all formats. Try downloading the K-Lite codec pack for more codec support in Windows Media Player.