LaunchBox Community Forums

9.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@ALIE Hmm. Any chance it could be a fluke? Have you tried rebooting?

Seems like it could be but now something truly strange and not sure if it's even related happened. 

First I tried rebooting and it seemed to work. I tried switching views fast a few times and it locked up and got laggy. 

Strange thing is now after I opened BB again I was tapping away and hits enter just as a new beta notification comes up, it updates and big box opens again very laggy still like the stress i put on it carried on.  But after I exit this time I see this message like the update failed but it still opened. 

15488076009457637860253185647087.jpg

15488076408332905345123046496164.jpg

I tried to say retry a couple of times and now it starts up again.  A lot of weirdness although most of it seems gone now. But the image cache doesn't seem to work.  When i force populating it goes all the way but if I hit it again it goes just as slow like it doesn't work normally when everything is cached it would just speed through in a few seconds. 

9 minutes ago, ALIE said:

I tried to say retry a couple of times and now it starts up again.  A lot of weirdness although most of it seems gone now. But the image cache doesn't seem to work.  When i force populating it goes all the way but if I hit it again it goes just as slow like it doesn't work normally when everything is cached it would just speed through in a few seconds. 

This could be because you force repopulated the cache or cleared the cache. I'm not really sure what's going on or what happened, to be honest. There have been zero changes to anything related to the image cache, so I really doubt there's a real problem there.

The only thing I can think of is that VLC was upgraded to 3.06 recently; did you upgrade from 9.3 or a 9.4 beta?

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

This could be because you force repopulated the cache or cleared the cache. I'm not really sure what's going on or what happened, to be honest. There have been zero changes to anything related to the image cache, so I really doubt there's a real problem there.

The only thing I can think of is that VLC was upgraded to 3.06 recently; did you upgrade from 9.3 or a 9.4 beta?

As for all the video playing issues seem to be resolved.  The image cache seemed like it was broken I think that slowed things down because it kept caching even if I forced it, it would go all the way but if I ran it again it would take just as long and not just speed through.  I delted the entire folder and it works again now so at some point I guess it got corrupted. 

Edited by ALIE

9 hours ago, ALIE said:

As for all the video playing issues seem to be resolved.  The image cache seemed like it was broken I think that slowed things down because it kept caching even if I forced it, it would go all the way but if I ran it again it would take just as long and not just speed through.  I delted the entire folder and it works again now so at some point I guess it got corrupted. 

Gotcha. To be honest I have seen that before, but it's been a very long time so I forgot about it. I think the corrupted image cache issue is just a really rare occurrence so I haven't been able to pin it down. I'm glad you're at least squared away for now. I need to remember to suggest that people clear the image cache if that suddenly run into performance issues like that.

• Like 1

Beta 8 is out now with more fixes for theme upgrades. We discovered some issues with upgrading some of @eatkinola's themes, such as Refaktor, MinimalX, and Nostalgia, and also FutureState Neon Deluxe by @Mr. RetroLust. I believe all these themes should upgrade properly with this new beta, but again, unfortunately you will have to remove them from Big Box and re-download them from the forums if you've used previous betas.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Gotcha. To be honest I have seen that before, but it's been a very long time so I forgot about it. I think the corrupted image cache issue is just a really rare occurrence so I haven't been able to pin it down. I'm glad you're at least squared away for now. I need to remember to suggest that people clear the image cache if that suddenly run into performance issues like that.

The fix seemed to be specifically deleting the folder and letting Bigbox create it from scratch. 

• Like 1

Okay..so I just tried BigBox in the latest Beta, but seems I'm experiencing at times where I try backing out of a Platform and it does nothing other than let me scroll the titles within the Platform until it FINALLY decides to take me back to the list of Platforms again. I'm also experiencing times where things freeze up for a bit when I Edit still, but not as bad as before where Windows 10 would say it's Unresponsive though, at least for now I have yet to experience it that way since things are kinda fresh again

Edited by RULLUR

Alright, beta 9 is out. The past week has been quite a trip development-wise; I set out to automatically upgrade all the themes, and then ran into a million hitches. The theming strategy has been changed slightly; I'll be updating the themes post here with the details shortly:

The good news is I did find quite a few ways to optimize things and speed things up in the process, so this new beta should have improved performance for saving data as well as VLC video playback and Big Box themes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@RULLUR Sadly I still haven't been able to replicate any of those issues, but the Big Box performance improvements in beta 9 may help.

Seems better now. I'm just not sure why my SNES stuff on both LaunchBox and BigBox seem to take forever when it's the like 3rd largest collection I have. Could it have been they were Imported oddly or something? I don't think anyone else is having that issue with SNES stuff..but maybe something similar on another Platform somehow?

So far that's like the only issue I have with things on my end with Beta 9 that seems to remain though. I have also Installed Beta 9 to my GPD Win as well, and things seem well with that one I guess because I don't have that many games on it as I do with my Laptop.

9 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Seems better now. I'm just not sure why my SNES stuff on both LaunchBox and BigBox seem to take forever when it's the like 3rd largest collection I have. Could it have been they were Imported oddly or something? I don't think anyone else is having that issue with SNES stuff..but maybe something similar on another Platform somehow?

So far that's like the only issue I have with things on my end with Beta 9 that seems to remain though. I have also Installed Beta 9 to my GPD Win as well, and things seem well with that one I guess because I don't have that many games on it as I do with my Laptop.

Go ahead and zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder and I'll review your SNES stuff to see if there's something I'm missing. :)

• Thanks 1

Beta 10 is out now with some various minor fixes and some of the missing HelperControl controls, which I had previously integrated but somehow they got excluded from the project (probably a previous source control issue). I'm sending this version off to the translators; I may get more in yet, but we're looking to put out the release this coming Monday or Tuesday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hi all. I've dropped out of the beta group for a bit (I'm starting to use LB simply as a daily game driver and didn't want as many interruptions).  Given that, I'd like to make a small request. If I missed any changes, apologies.

The loading and closing screens are a great feature. However, I've noticed that sometimes, especially when the system has just freshly booted, Retroarch will take longer to load and the loading screen will return the player momentarily to the game selection menu before going finally to Retroarch. Could the loading screen last a teensy bit longer, like 0.5 to 1 seconds? It's a small thing, but it does detract from a very nice feature.

3 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

Hi all. I've dropped out of the beta group for a bit (I'm starting to use LB simply as a daily game driver and didn't want as many interruptions).  Given that, I'd like to make a small request. If I missed any changes, apologies.

The loading and closing screens are a great feature. However, I've noticed that sometimes, especially when the system has just freshly booted, Retroarch will take longer to load and the loading screen will return the player momentarily to the game selection menu before going finally to Retroarch. Could the loading screen last a teensy bit longer, like 0.5 to 1 seconds? It's a small thing, but it does detract from a very nice feature.

This can be adjusted in the options.

image.thumb.png.fa2d102d008314d94de10e4abed2907a.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BHazard said:

Bigbox multiple screens is broken now in beta 10. It refuses to show video on monitor 3 on my setup when selected as primary.

Nothing has changed in this regard, so I suspect that it must be a driver issue of some sort. Is this a new issue for you? What version were you using previously (before upgrading to the beta) that you confirmed it was working on?