LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

On 8/18/2020 at 12:26 AM, Zombeaver said:

Sounds like you're having some performance issues. Crackling sound normally indicates that your hardware isn't sufficient for the current settings. I have some settings adjustment suggestions for people that are having performance problems in the opening post. Take a look at the "Performance" section and try the suggestions there.

video_frame_delay = "0" works great in my Setup, THX!

6 hours ago, DerSchlachter said:

video_frame_delay = "0" works great in my Setup, THX!

Good deal.

I've had a couple people report performance issues with it above 0 now so I'll just set it to that in the next version as the default.

I have it increased currently for a reason - it decreases input latency - but it does increase hardware requirements. I can put a note in the description to just try increasing it so long as it doesn't negatively impact performance and have the starting value set to 0, it's not necessarily a huge difference either way.

• Like 1

Hey @Zombeaver - I have a couple questions I'm hoping you might be able to help with. I've saved a bunch of save states for games several games and couldn't seem to find documentation on the easiest method for having those save states auto-load when launching. I renamed one of my game_name.state files to game_name.state.auto and it seems to pick up the save state on launch. In this case would the quickest method be to use a batch rename program to search for any *.state files in the games directory and batch rename them all to .state.auto suffix? I went through nearly all of the replies here and couldn't seem to find reference but appreciate any input on the easiest way to make this happen or best practice method.

Also for the games that were automatically favorited in the games collection (for launchbox) what's the quickest method to un-favorite everything to start from scratch? EDIT: wait scratch that, I found it - just had to select all in launchbox for the games collection and right click > edit > select favorite in the dropdown and click next to set them all to false but thought I'd add the comment here in case it helped anyone (sorry if it's already covered which it prob is).

6 hours ago, zorkiii said:

Hey @Zombeaver - I have a couple questions I'm hoping you might be able to help with. I've saved a bunch of save states for games several games and couldn't seem to find documentation on the easiest method for having those save states auto-load when launching. I renamed one of my game_name.state files to game_name.state.auto and it seems to pick up the save state on launch. In this case would the quickest method be to use a batch rename program to search for any *.state files in the games directory and batch rename them all to .state.auto suffix? I went through nearly all of the replies here and couldn't seem to find reference but appreciate any input on the easiest way to make this happen or best practice method.

That would work, yes. I would recommend bulk rename utility. You would basically just do a Windows search in the games folder for .state files, drag them all in and then tell it to replace .state with .state.auto. Make sure the search doesn't pickup any of the existing .state.auto files in the process (it shouldn't, but just be sure).

This assumes that you don't have any states that you want to keep as non-auto loading of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zorkiii said:

Also for the games that were automatically favorited in the games collection (for launchbox) what's the quickest method to un-favorite everything to start from scratch? EDIT: wait scratch that, I found it - just had to select all in launchbox for the games collection and right click > edit > select favorite in the dropdown and click next to set them all to false but thought I'd add the comment here in case it helped anyone (sorry if it's already covered which it prob is).

Yep, you got it.

The game's that are listed as favorites by default are all of the best of playlists combined.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 4:46 PM, Zombeaver said:

That would work, yes. I would recommend bulk rename utility. You would basically just do a Windows search in the games folder for .state files, drag them all in and then tell it to replace .state with .state.auto. Make sure the search doesn't pickup any of the existing .state.auto files in the process (it shouldn't, but just be sure).

This assumes that you don't have any states that you want to keep as non-auto loading of course.

Thanks, I ended up using a batch file to run in the main Games subdirectory within C64 Dreams with this command:

forfiles /S /M *.state /C "cmd /c rename @file @fname.state.auto"

This seemed to do the trick! I just wanted to create savestates for all the games I love playing and skip ahead past those cracktros and the endless questions for trainers or highscores etc. Once I ran through my favs and created those states I ran the batch inside the games folder and it renamed them all so they autoload. 

I was looking through the games from your collection and wondered if you might consider adding these to it for a future release? If they're able to be added:

720 degrees
Adventure Construction Set
Archon
Archon II
Bc's Quest for Tires
Dunjonquest - Curse of Ra
Dunjonquest - Temple of Apshai
Dunjonquest - Upper Reaches of Apshai
Hardball
Jumpman Junior
One on One - Dr. J vs. Larry Bird
Rambo III
Shamus
Slam Dunk
Sword of Fargoal
Test Drive
Test Drive II
The Pawn
Wizball
Zork I
Zork II
Zork III

Many thanks for all your hard work.

Edited by zorkiii

I thought I already had BC's Quest For Tires, but I guess I only have BC II currently. That will definitely be added.

The Pawn and Wizball are already in the collection. Jumpman Junior is going to be in the next set as someone else requested it already (I actually uploaded it as an interim addition earlier in the thread).

I'm familiar with all the others and can add them in the next update.

Awesome! For some reason Shamus has this huge nostalgia effect on me, I remember getting that one in a batch of copies from a friend in the mid 80's and being super drawn to it. The title music cracks me up too. Plus the Synapse logo and tones that play when it show up are great.

Do you know the parameters that need to be used to run a specific game using NTSC rather than PAL? I know the majority of games were PAL but growing up in the USA I experienced most of them on NTSC and the music being slower (with PAL) just kills the feeling for me on some of these. I changed the core in retroarch to run on C64 NTSC but it seemed to switch it for everything. Would it be something in the ..\..\Retroarch\Retroarch.exe -L "..\..\Retroarch\cores\vice_x64_libretro.dll" "Game-Name.cmd" line to add in? 

No, it's done through the core options. If you change it there, it will change it for anything that doesn't have an existing core option (.opt) file for them. To change it per-game, you would change the value and then use the top option in the list to save a core option for the currently loaded game only. This creates an .opt file that's named after the game in config\Vice x64. These essentially work as overrides except they're specifically for core options.

Be aware, however, that the vast majority of these games are designed for PAL. The only games that are setup to use NTSC are ones that specifically require it (few and far between). In some cases it will work for both, but I can't guarantee it.

It should also be noted that if you're going to do that, you should make sure you use the update that I posted a couple pages back, because the core options changed (because I'm using @Pixelpiper's core now). This is what's going to be used in all future releases so it would invalidate your new option files if you tried using then after updating to the next version.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright y'all, I've been busy working on individual game releases for Zomb's Lair lately but I'm currently gearing up to resume work on C64 Dreams.

Something that I thought might be helpful for the project would be for me to list the games that I've added as I go, preemptively, so that anyone that will be working on media/metadata for the DB can work on that beforehand rather than after the fact. I work on the Launchbox side of things as the last step of the process, so that would make things easier for me as well since I could just scrape the DB after the updates had already been made. I currently have 150 games picked out with the goal for the next version being 500, but not all of those 150 have been tested yet so I don't want to list them until I've done that (because they might turn out to be crap and end up getting removed). 67 of them are actually done though, so those are good to go. I'm sure that some of these have DB entries with media/metadata already, but I just figured doing it this way would make things easier for everyone. @Z3R0B4NG I don't know how involved you are with that side of things, but if there's anyone specifically you think I should shout out for that, just let me know.

Spoiler

2438 The Return
Ace of Aces
Adventures of Tronic
Age of Heroes, The
Alien Bleed
Aviator Arcade II
Birdie Bird
Bobby Bearing
Centric
Cybo-Cop
Deadly Thunder
Death Battle 2200
Drol
Dungeon of Rott
Escape to Murky Woods
Forever Extending Hungry Snake, The
Game of Harmony, The
Ghost of Genghis Khan, The
Ghost Town 64
Golden Pyramids, The
Guild of Thieves, The
Gun City
Gun Runner (Mnemonic Productions)
Gun Runner (The Power House)
Gunboat
Gunfighter
Gunfighters
Gunfright
Guns 'n' Roses
Gunslinger (Datasoft)
Gunslinger (Virgin Mastertronic)
Gunstar
Gutt Blaster
Guzzler
Hades Nebula
Hagar The Horrible
Halcyon
Halloween
Halloween Police
Halls of Death
Hammer Boy
Hercules - Slayer of the Damned
Jumpman Junior
Kobo64
Left 2 Die
Left 2 Die Part 2
Magical Girl Mary vs E.V.I.L.
Mancala
Mega Tank Blasta
Mirage
Old West World, The
Outlaw
Project FX-64
Ring of Power, The
Rudy Hammer
Sizzler
Sooper Froot
Space Mission
Space Swarm 64
Stellar Wars
Storm Chase
Summer Games
Survival Messenger
Tai-Pan
Toilet Paper Stacker
Winter Games
Zambeezi

I've also setup a Discord server for Zomb's Lair which includes a C64 Dreams channel for discussing the project, if anyone's interested. You can find it here.

• Like 2
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

Sorry ...i got nothing.  

...and the 3D Box stuff i wanted to do for C64 all pretty much went nowhere.  

I just did a huge pass on SNES that took me 2 months and i really had to force myself to finish it, i do not feel ready to jump into the next big project just yet, i need some time off from the LBDB.

• 2 weeks later...

45 new games since the last batch:

Spoiler

720 Degrees
Archon II
BC's Quest for Tires
Curse of Ra
Flax
H.A.T.E.
Hangman's Hazard
Hans Kloss
Happy Gardening
Happy Hacker
Harald Hardtooth
Hard Work
Hardsync
Harrier 7
Harrier Attack
Harrier Combat Simulator
Harvey Smith Showjumper
Hassle Castle
Hatchet Honeymoon
Haunted Hill
Haunted House (Planet Rock)
Haunted Inn
Haunted Mansion
Havoc (Players Premier)
Hawk
Hawk Mission
Hawk Mission II
Hawk Mission III
Hawk Patrol
Hawkstorm
Head Start
Head The Ball
Head to Head Karate
Head-On (Compute)
Headache
Make My Day
Michael Jordan vs Larry Bird - One on One
Rambo III
Sector Patrol
Shamus
Side Arms
Super Nova
Sword of Fargoal
Temple of Apshai Trilogy
You Had One Job

Current full list of new titles (112 games total):

Spoiler

2438 The Return
720 Degrees
Ace of Aces
Adventures of Tronic
Age of Heroes, The
Alien Bleed
Archon II
Aviator Arcade II
BC's Quest for Tires
Birdie Bird
Bobby Bearing
Centric
Curse of Ra
Cybo-Cop
Deadly Thunder
Death Battle 2200
Drol
Dungeon of Rott
Escape to Murky Woods
Flax
Forever Extending Hungry Snake, The
Game of Harmony, The
Ghost of Genghis Khan, The
Ghost Town 64
Golden Pyramids, The
Guild of Thieves, The
Gun City
Gun Runner (Mnemonic Productions)
Gun Runner (The Power House)
Gunboat
Gunfighter
Gunfighters
Gunfright
Guns 'n' Roses
Gunslinger (Datasoft)
Gunslinger (Virgin Mastertronic)
Gunstar
Gutt Blaster
Guzzler
H.A.T.E.
Hades Nebula
Hagar The Horrible
Halcyon
Halloween
Halloween Police
Halls of Death
Hammer Boy
Hangman's Hazard
Hans Kloss
Happy Gardening
Happy Hacker
Harald Hardtooth
Hard Work
Hardsync
Harrier 7
Harrier Attack
Harrier Combat Simulator
Harvey Smith Showjumper
Hassle Castle
Hatchet Honeymoon
Haunted Hill
Haunted House (Planet Rock)
Haunted Inn
Haunted Mansion
Havoc (Players Premier)
Hawk
Hawk Mission
Hawk Mission II
Hawk Mission III
Hawk Patrol
Hawkstorm
Head Start
Head The Ball
Head to Head Karate
Head-On (Compute)
Headache
Hercules - Slayer of the Damned
Jumpman Junior
Kobo64
Left 2 Die
Left 2 Die Part 2
Magical Girl Mary vs E.V.I.L.
Make My Day
Mancala
Mega Tank Blasta
Michael Jordan vs Larry Bird - One on One
Mirage
Old West World, The
Outlaw
Project FX-64
Rambo III
Ring of Power, The
Rudy Hammer
Sector Patrol
Shamus
Side Arms
Sizzler
Sooper Froot
Space Mission
Space Swarm 64
Stellar Wars
Storm Chase
Summer Games
Super Nova
Survival Messenger
Sword of Fargoal
Tai-Pan
Temple of Apshai Trilogy
Toilet Paper Stacker
Winter Games
You Had One Job
Zambeezi

• Like 1

50 new games since the last batch. This brings the current total to 2160 (I removed 2 games from v0.20 that were duplicates with alternate region titles - Coil Cop and Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja).

Spoiler

Aliants - The Desperate Battle For Earth
Beer Belly Burt's Brew Biz
Brubaker
Chameleon
Heavy Metal - Modern Land Combat Vol. I
Heavy Metal Deluxe
Hektic
Hektic II
Helden
Heli Rescue
Hell for Leather
Hell Zone
Hell Zone II
Hellfire
Hellraid
Helsings Hunt
Hero 2020
Hero Quest
Hero Quest II
Hero Time
Hero Time II
Heroes of Midgard
Hideous
Hideous Bill and the Gi-Gants
Hidihood
High Frontier
High Rise
Highland Games
Highlander
Highway Encounter
Hillsfar
Himalayan Odyssey
Hit and Run Baseball
Hive
Ho! Ho! Ho!
Hobbit, The
Hobgoblin
Hockey Mania
Hocus Focus
Hole-in-One
Holiday Cops
Human Killing Machine
International Ice Hockey
Slam Dunk
Zork - The Undiscovered Underground
Zork I - The Great Underground Empire
Zork II - The Wizard of Frobozz
Zork III - The Dungeon Master
Zork Quest I - Assault on Egreth Castle
Zork Quest II - The Crystal of Doom

This is truly amazing what you've done.  Thank you for sharing all your hard work.

I've got this working  very well on my W10 PC.  Although I have Launchbox running, I've kept this separate to make it easy to run on its own.  So great to play Jumpman again.  I added your Jumpman Jr file as well.

I have a couple questions on the magazine part.  I've downloaded your full zip file of the magazines.

1.  In LB, I can see that for each magazine it's pointing to the .url link you've set up.  I can see the .bat and .vbs there.  Looks like they call up the actual magazine file (if it's there).  If I put the magazine files in the same folder structure, how do I tell LB to launch the vbs instead of the url?

2.  I am running C64 Dreams off my C drive.  I'd like to put the magazine files on my D drive.  Can you instruct me how to fix the launch links to each magazine in LB?

Thank you for the help.  Again, and thanks for sharing this.  I'm already making my own LB playlist of my favorites!

On 10/22/2020 at 8:35 PM, denmiclaw said:

Thank you very much for your work on this, it's great!

1 hour ago, mordroc said:

This is truly amazing what you've done.  Thank you for sharing all your hard work.

You're very welcome!

1.  In LB, I can see that for each magazine it's pointing to the .url link you've set up.  I can see the .bat and .vbs there.  Looks like they call up the actual magazine file (if it's there).  If I put the magazine files in the same folder structure, how do I tell LB to launch the vbs instead of the url?

Yeah I make the web version the default since the magazines are now a separate module. If you download the local versions you can right-click on an entry in LB and choose [Magazine Name] (Local) to launch them. If you wanted to make them the default launch, that's easy enough to do. You can do this on an individual basis by editing them, going to additional apps, selecting the local version and choosing "make default". If you wanted to do this en masse, you'd probably want to use something like Notepad++ and then open up C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Data\Platforms\Magazines.xml and do a find and replace all for " (Web Version).url" with ".vbs" Make sure you include the space before (Web Version). I would recommend backing up your .xml before doing this to be safe.

2.  I am running C64 Dreams off my C drive.  I'd like to put the magazine files on my D drive.  Can you instruct me how to fix the launch links to each magazine in LB?

You would need to again open up C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Data\Platforms\Magazines.xml in Notepad++ and do a find and replace of: 

<ApplicationPath>C64 Dreams\Magazines

with

<ApplicationPath>[your new path]\Magazines

Everything is setup with relative paths so the Magazine folder will work unaltered so long as you've got everything included (i.e. everything in the folder including !CDisplayEx, the .bats, etc.). In other words, just make sure that you move the Magazines folder in its entirety (not just the .cbrs by themselves).