LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

WOW...

that G-Sync toggle really makes ALL the difference!  

Shadowplay can't even record how smooth it looks now because its fixed to 60FPS, with the amount that you screw around with C64 get one ... its a night and day difference man!

i tried recording the monitor with my phone... it is only 30FPS footage but you get the idea better than with shadowplay, go fullscreen, lean back a bit and just focus on the text, maybe loop the video 2 or 3 times...  and in real life the difference is still way more obvious than that, but i think you can see what i'm talking about with the "breathing" stutter.  

...now excuse me, i need to enable this for all my emulated systems :D 

6 minutes ago, Z3R0B4NG said:

WOW...

that G-Sync toggle really makes ALL the difference!  

Shadowplay can't even record how smooth it looks now because its fixed to 60FPS, with the amount that you screw around with C64 get one ... its a night and day difference man!

i tried recording the monitor with my phone... it is only 30FPS footage but you get the idea better than with shadowplay, go fullscreen, lean back a bit and just focus on the text, maybe loop the video 2 or 3 times...  and in real life the difference is still way more obvious than that, but i think you can see what i'm talking about with the "breathing" stutter.  

...now excuse me, i need to enable this for all my emulated systems :D 

I have vsync off and and variable refresh set to on globally in RA.

1972610860_RetroArchScreenshot2020_04.27-17_28_19_08.thumb.png.f5d03d069c4b9933ba0c4d0477d5ac27.pngAnd i have the Amiga core set to PAL 50, works great.

This is what they say to do in their blog post about it:

Steps to take for it to be effective:

Have G-Sync/FreeSync active in your video driver control panel and monitor menu

In RetroArch, set “Video” -> “Vertical Refresh Rate” to your monitor frequency
(you can use “set display reported refresh rate” as it should give you your desktop refresh rate)

Activate “Frame Throttle”-> “Sync to Exact Content Framerate (G-Sync, FreeSync)”

Keep V-Sync active in Settings -> “Video”, it won’t work with it disabled.

Kinda surprised that V-Sync is supposed to be enabled.

• Like 1

on G-Sync read this:  

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/  specifically the part a bit down G-Sync & V-Sync  

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/2/ and maybe this section  

V-Sync does not act as V-Sync if G-Sync is on.  

It mostly just decides what happens when you reach the maximum refreshrate of the panel, if it runs "unlocked" (= screentearing) or locks at say 144FPS (=V-Sync inputlag), so ideally you want to lock the framerate at 140FPS so you don't run outside of the effective range of G-Sync to begin with.  
But it does some more internal stuff that i frankly don't quite understand that makes sure that G-Sync can work right. But the bottom line is G-Sync was intended to have V-Sync ON at all times, they didn't even want to expose the option in the driver to turn it OFF at first.  

Lets just say there are multiple settings from best to worst and not everything works with every game and G-Sync isn't the ultimate answer to everything, it has things it can't handle, like inconsistent frametimes...  
but ultimately, it is the best upgrade you can possibly make for a gaming PC, CPU and GPU make stuff faster, but a high refresh adaptive sync monitor will remove the bottleneck FROM YOUR EYES! (that is also the reason i'm still on 1080p and not 4K yet. ...but i'm thinking i might go for 1440p when the RTX 30 series drops... depends on pricing and benchmarks of course but i'm not jumping on 4K until there are >120Hz screens for reasonable prices and hardware to power it ...or adaptive scaling tricks on PC get a lot better.)  

i could go on and on about this stuff...  but that is way off topic here.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, earthprime said:

This is the best curated C64 collection I've ever seen.  Its like a modern GameBase64.

:)

6 minutes ago, earthprime said:

I love the wooden background theme you use for LB - whats the name of the theme?  I'd like to try it with my own LB setup.

It's actually just the current default theme in LB but with a custom background image. It's in the base folder, named Woodgrain.jpg.

• Thanks 1

A little update on my 3D Box set.  

So, my little project takes a while longer than i had thought and we are also making our own new 3D box set in the other thread
(i'm not exactly sure WHO is actually working on it, but i've supplied all the 2D Box art with spines that i could find so far, so now i can go back to actually concentrating on this).  

I've also re-thought entirely how i will go about it again.  

I have 3 different 3D Box sets now plus the stuff that got scraped from the LaunchBox DB.  
i guess people will have different subjective opinions on which 3D Box set they like best, i'm not gonna go with what i think looks best anymore but supply all 4 options instead.  

it will work like this:  

there will be 4 Folders for each type of 3D box (and when something new is released in the other thread i can add that as a 5th option),
since C64 Dreams does not use region tags i'm not gonna bother with the region folder structure at all, just 4 folders with each box type in one of them.  
i'm going through each game now 1 by 1 and make sure that the filenames match the game name as it is in C64 Dreams LaunchBox and that the scrape in the LBDB folder is up-to-date.  

It is required that the filenames of the .png files are identical so all 4 box types will be visible to LaunchBox.  

That gives you a few options.  

variant 1: you copy the content of the folder you like best into the 3D Box folder, then you decide which you like 2nd best, copy the content of that folder into the same 3D Box folder and when it asks if you want to overwrite files you say NO,
You can do prioritize that way which box type you like best and which ones you want to use as fallback option and in what priority.  

variant 2: you throw all 4 folders (or the 3, or 2 that you like) in there as sub folders and it will randomly decide which box type to display as there is no way for LaunchBox to prioritze those folders.  

variant 3: if you have the paid LaunchBox version you could instead throw the boxes you like in region folders that fit with your own region priorities in LaunchBox and it should in theory prioritize on its own what to show you, without any of the overwriting stuff.  

i think i will NOT clean up the folders from unused stuff (only from clearly broken stuff), Zomb can use it as a resource for when he adds new games to C64 Dreams and everyone else who is concerned about having unused files in there can still use the LaunchBox Media clean up option to get rid of unused stuff, "at your own risk" ?  

...lets see if i stick with this approach this time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

You're very welcome! Glad you're enjoying it!

I'll add in Jumpman Junior in the next update. If you want to add it in in the meantime, just add the below into the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games folder. You'll still need to import it into Launchbox - just import the .vbs file, and choose "none of the above" when importing because you don't want it to use an emulator.

Jumpman Junior.7z

Could i please make a request the c64 has a deep place in my heart from when i got one for xmas in my teans up till i got my amiga.

My real c64 with sd mod my c64mini and maxi  are in storeage due to lack of room at the moment.

c64 dreams is fantastic and is on my computer i have 3 c64 games that i got for xmas with my c64 is there any way i can add them?

thanks for your work with this

You can add anything you want. The process is simple with my automation tools. You still have to do a little bit of work if it's a multi-disk game or a game where the program you're wanting to start isn't the first program (like something on a multi-game disk image) but other than that it's just straight up drag and drop. Go into C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Utilities\Creation Tools and then take some disk images, make sure they're named after the game title, and then just drag them onto !Automator.bat if there's 10 or less of them. If there's more than that you can do up to 100 at a time with !Automator - Batch 100.bat. Then just move the folders that it creates into the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games folder.

Let me know what it is you're wanting to add and I'll add them into the collection in the next update. You can add them into your own collection in the meantime with the automation tools.

4 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

You can add anything you want. The process is simple with my automation tools. You still have to do a little bit of work if it's a multi-disk game or a game where the program you're wanting to start isn't the first program (like something on a multi-game disk image) but other than that it's just straight up drag and drop. Go into C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Utilities\Creation Tools and then take some disk images, make sure they're named after the game title, and then just drag them onto !Automator.bat if there's 10 or less of them. If there's more than that you can do up to 100 at a time with !Automator - Batch 100.bat. Then just move the folders that it creates into the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games folder.

Let me know what it is you're wanting to add and I'll add them into the collection in the next update. You can add them into your own collection in the meantime with the automation tools.

Thank you so much the two games i got as a child for xmas with my c64

superfruit

stallerwars

also have memerys of ring of power. me and my brother spending weeks trying to complete.

but all other games are there thank you for shareing this

Okay, if you haven't done it already, here they are. You'll also need to do the update from here if you haven't already, because Stellar Wars needs an .opt file (to tell it to use joyport 1) which is included but won't work correctly without the update.

deleted