LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME CHD collection for most common games

Amoo

Are there good CHD collections for the most popular arcade MAME games?

I would like to get NFL Blitz and a few other games working.  Is there a good way to do this or does it have to be done individually per game and do the CHD files just go in the LaunchBox CHD file?

Thanks for the help.

"Good" is always subjective. :)  I don't think I've ever seen 'sets' available so probably on an individual bases.

The CHD file will be in a folder with the same name as the games zip file and that folder is placed in the same directory as your Mame roms.

So in you roms directory, you'll have:

blitz.zip
blitz  [folder]

In the blitz folder, you'll have the file: blitz.chd

• Like 2

The MAME CHD do generally come in full sets and are around 500GB in size, getting individual CHD's can be problematic as if they do not match the romset version you have then they may not work. So getting a full set that you know the version of is the better way to go.

CHD;s have to be in folders named after the zip yes but they do not have to be in the same folder as your ROMs. If you do want to keep them separate from the ROMs you need to specify the path either in the built in MAMEUI or the mame.ini file.

• Like 1

I don't get the bios sets personally but I have CHD, Software LIst and Software LIst CHDs all in their own subfolders. Don't consider it OCD just good house keeping. The MAME full set is one folder that loads slow in Windows for me with just the base set don't need even more stuff in there.

• Like 1

Many, if not most CHD games are non working so it is a complete waste of bandwidth and disk space to download a full CHD set. I found one possible way to solve this problem was to download the latest version of Arcade 64, select CHD's in the left menu and it will tell you if a particular game is working or not. Or if it is, whether it is working with problems. From there you can simply Google the name of each working game and watch a few seconds of gameplay or images to decide if it's worth a try or not. If you find a full CHD set in torrent form, simply select the files you want and skip the rest before starting download.

According to Arcade64, here is a list of working CHD's for MAME 0.209 minus a rhythm or puzzle game or two. It's about 110G:

Note: Some members of the forum have tested these with mixed results, and others have found working games not in the list. 

area51 
carnevil
carnival king
cart fury
chaos heat - working with problems
cliff hanger
cobra command (mach 3 set 1 and 2)
crypt killer - working with problems
cube quest
evil night
fire fox
gauntlet legends
gauntlet dark legacy
go by rc
golden tee (all versions)
harem challenge
hell night
hyperdrive
jojo venture - working with problems
judge dredd - working with problems
killer instinct 1
killer instinct 2
laser strixx 2
mach 3
mace the dark age
maximum force
nagano winter olympics - working with problems
nfl blitz (all versions)
ray crisis - working with problems
rc de go - working with problems
red earth - working with problems
rise of the robots
road burners
simpsons bowling
total vice (EBA)
vapor trx
vicious circle
virtual pool
wargods
war final assault 
wayne gretzky 3d hockey

Edited by Drakkorcia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

that working CHD list isn't complete all 3 Street Fighters III versions work but are missing from the list. So not sure where the list came from. Also I'd like to add there are a bunch of CHD files that while not working in MAME are useful in Demul for a bunch of Naomi 1 and 2  games.

6 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

I tested now some of those on my quite well performing Hades Canyon, and have to say that none of them run well, plus the games are abominations, just stick with the so many great non CHD MAME games. 

CHD games dont take any more power to run than standard MAME roms, they just have more data hence the added image file.

2 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

Out of 10 games I tested, supposed to be working ones, ran quite poorly, whereas "normal" MAME ROMs runs just fine. 

Then you have something strange going on, CHD's dont need any higher specs than other roms, i mean those £60 chinese handheld consoles can run CPS3 just fine on dual core 1ghz arm, processors.

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys.

I have been downloading mame chds for 0.220 and they are in 7z.

I have moved the chd (xxx).7z file in to its own folder named after it self.

I have placed the folder with the chd (xxx).7z format in to my mame roms folder.

Do I need to unzip these to chd format or are they good as they are?

All so do I need to audit or re ad my mame folder in launchbox again for chds to take affect?

I have tried a few games as is with no luck..

cheers

22 minutes ago, blackboxingcat said:

HI guys.

I have been downloading mame chds for 0.220 and they are in 7z.

I have moved the chd (xxx).7z file in to its own folder named after it self.

I have placed the folder with the chd (xxx).7z format in to my mame roms folder.

Do I need to unzip these to chd format or are they good as they are?

All so do I need to audit or re ad my mame folder in launchbox again for chds to take affect?

I have tried a few games as is with no luck..

cheers

They need to be unzipped to there folders. You dont need to do anything in Launchbox with them.