LaunchBox Community Forums

SNK Neo Geo CD Using FBAlpha Core in Retroarch

3x0x8

Can't seem to find the answer to this, though I found a very similar post, that seems to have gone unanswered: 

I have my bin/cue Neo Geo CD games loading directly from Retroarch using the FBAlpha core. But, I cannot seem to get these to launch form within Launchbox. I used to do this through RocketLauncher, but i'm sick and tired of using it and would like to streamline things. Any ideas? I'm probably missing something simple... i'm still a little new to LB.

01-details.png

02-associated_platforms.png

03-game_launcher.png

04-game_emulation.png

I have never had any luck with NeoGeo CD and Retroarch using the FBA core, I use stand alone Mame for my NeoGeo CD emulation. And unfortunately I cannot test this on my end since I have my disk images converted to CHD which is not supported by the FBA core it seems.

You say your games are working in RA on its own ? Everything I see in your screenshots looks correct.

Are you actually using the FBAlpha core in RA or are you maybe using the new FBNeo core which is the replacement for FBA now ?

Yes, all games work when I launch directly from RA. Just verified, I only had the FBAlpha core downloaded. Didn't realize the FBNeo core existed - just tried it now, and it also doesn't work with my Neo CD games (does launch AES/MSV just fine, though). Also, the FBNeo core won't load my Neo CD games directly in RA, but the FBAlpha core does without issue.

I don't need any specific parameters to make this work, do I? 

5 minutes ago, 3x0x8 said:

Didn't realize the FBNeo core existed

It's brand new, there was some drama with the recently announced Capcom arcade controller with games and using FBA as the emulator. It was "licensed" out by the maintainer of FBA without any permissions from any of the actual devs so the devs split off and now FBNeo is the new emulator going forward.

6 minutes ago, 3x0x8 said:

I don't need any specific parameters to make this work, do I? 

I would assume it shouldn't, I would imagine it would work like any other CD based system but I cannot say for certain because like I said, I was never successful getting NeoGeo CD games to work with the FBA core but then that was before CD support was built in.

This is unfortunately a lack of FBA and NeoGeo CD info on their documentation page over on the RA site.

Ok, I just managed to get a game loading using the FBA and FBNeo core in Retroarch itself but I see how it has multiple systems now so I assume there is some sort of extra command line requirement. But again the lack of documentation of this feature is no helping here, I will look more into it though and see what I can find.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, tallpr24 said:

i cant get this to work.  here is my lb retro arch config.  I'm missing anything?

Do you have the correct bios for the core?

I use the neocd (2019) core and it has support for the same bios files that MAME supports.  I'm sure FBNeo does also, but might want to double check.

For neocd, you need to put your bios files under the /retroarch/system/neocd folder.  Check that also for FBNeo.

44 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

i just tried putting them in a newcd folder, but still wont work.

That would only work if you're using the neocd core.   (for clarification:  the NeoCD core is different than the FBNeo core)

I would double check your bios files.   Mine seem to be a bit larger that what you posted, unless things have changed in the past year.

image.png

If bios files look good, then I've have to point towards your cd-rom images and formats.  Are they bin/cue, iso, etc?

Do you receive some type of error when attempting to run?

Edited by Ateb
clarification

More importantly. do they run from within Retroarch directly?  If not, then it's a bios/retroarch issue that needs to be looked at.  If they run in Retroarch, then it's a config issue in LB/BB.  You need to narrow it down first before looking to see what needs to be fixed :)

open retroarch load the core then go to core information look for the information and see what the checksum is for he neocdz bios is and make sure that your file matched the check sum if not find a new bios if the bios checks out look into checking out new ROM files