LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crash while sitting idle doing attract mode

MrSco

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MrSco said:

@Jason Carr any updates or incite? Could it be a funky video file (Or some other game library related file?) that attract mode is randomly switching to to play and crashes?

Hi @MrSco, that is possible. Sorry if you've already answered this, but are you using the VLC or the Windows Media Player video playback engine?

I've been doing some testing with the latest betas (and now 10.15) and the Unified Redux theme and I'm not running into any stability issues. Unfortunately this means that whatever is causing the crash is system-specific somehow. It could be data-related, but I doubt it. Most likely there's a buggy driver or something of that nature on the system. So I guess see if you can find any driver updates; sorry I can't be more help.

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2020 at 1:46 PM, Jason Carr said:

I've been doing some testing with the latest betas (and now 10.15) and the Unified Redux theme and I'm not running into any stability issues. Unfortunately this means that whatever is causing the crash is system-specific somehow. It could be data-related, but I doubt it. Most likely there's a buggy driver or something of that nature on the system. So I guess see if you can find any driver updates; sorry I can't be more help.

I’m running the new 11 update and I setup a webcam to watch attract mode and catch the crash happening. It happened after about 3 hours of attract mode running. After restarting bigbox I tried browsing the section of games it died on (satellaview) but they all displayed fine (some video snaps and some image snaps) and no crash. 

the only other thing I can Think of that could be causing it is a program I use in the background to control the volume and default audio devices via hotness... Volume2... https://github.com/irzyxa/Volume2

could you maybe try running that program in the background to see if you experience issues with it? Maybe the volume control hooks in bigbox are fighting against volume2 randomly?

it does indeed seem to be something with my Windows environment though...I’d like to figure it out and not just format the computer and it starts working without knowing the cause. 

Great updates lately! thanks for the help!

On 5/19/2020 at 1:46 PM, Jason Carr said:

Well I just did some more testing. I formatted my intel NUC and reinstalled windows 10 x64 1909 with the latest updates And the latest launchbox update v11. Volume2 wasn’t installed or running....

BigBox still crashes after 4 hours in attract mode. I’ve tested multiple machines now of various configurations and BigBox always crashes... could be 4 hours...could be 40 hours, but it always crashes. @Jason Carr there must be a memory leak or some other glitch in bigbox with the artwork I’m using or something. 

Could I send you a link to my hard drive image so you can test maybe?

D860A239-9B0F-451C-94F0-F7F3F3CCFCFF.jpeg

@Jason Carr This is something I have had happening for a long time and it is such a random event. 2 of my set-ups that run constantly experience it. I have not mentioned it in a while since I remember you have not had stability issues.

It is really such a random event as to when it occurs, but it usually is after a few hours. I have kept up with drivers and Windows updates. It occurs regardless of theme in BigBox. I have not been able to pin it down to any additional background software and it has occurred on older and updated drivers. Both set-ups use VLC in the BB setting. Not saying it is BB related, just giving some additional data.

Specs:

Cabinet 1 - Core i7-7700k, 32GB Ram, GTX-1080

Cabinet 2 - AMD Ryzen 2200G, 16GB Ram, No Dedicate GPU). This cabinet only runs Mame roms.

I cannot confirm if my other cabinets had this happen as these two are the only ones running almost daily. I will test on the others to see.

7 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@Jason Carr This is something I have had happening for a long time and it is such a random event. 2 of my set-ups that run constantly experience it. I have not mentioned it in a while since I remember you have not had stability issues.

It is really such a random event as to when it occurs, but it usually is after a few hours. I have kept up with drivers and Windows updates. It occurs regardless of theme in BigBox. I have not been able to pin it down to any additional background software and it has occurred on older and updated drivers. Both set-ups use VLC in the BB setting. Not saying it is BB related, just giving some additional data.

Specs:

Cabinet 1 - Core i7-7700k, 32GB Ram, GTX-1080

Cabinet 2 - AMD Ryzen 3200G, 26GB Ram, No Dedicate GPU). This cabinet only runs Mame roms.

I cannot confirm if my other cabinets had this happen as these two are the only ones running almost daily. I will test on the others to see.

Thanks Retro, unfortunately though we'll need to tackle each issue individually, because so often with these things we find that they are separate, unrelated issues. So unfortunately we can't assume that you and @MrSco are running into the same issue. Can you provide me with a debug log when it crashes (or several)? That should help to figure it out.

26 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Watching the video, it looks like maybe it's a performance issue. I have seen Big Box crash eventually after a few hours when the system can't quite keep up with the attract mode. What are the system specs? Have you looked to see how much RAM is in use?

I've reproduced the crash on 3 different systems each with plenty of ram (8GB and 16GB). an intel NUC 6th gen with 8GB, a core i7 8700k with 16GB ram, and a core i5 6th gen laptop with 8GB ram.

I haven't tried monitoring ram usage as the system is idle by the time i see that bigbox is no longer running.

you have a recommended method for monitor/logging the RAM usage to look at later?

thanks for the help!

On 11/26/2019 at 12:11 PM, MrSco said:

I just had BigBox.exe crash on me while it was running for a couple hours just sitting idle going through its random attract mode switching through games and having the videos play. I've had it I've had it do this much longer without issues before. I'm on the latest version of launchbox 10.7...

Here is the event log error...

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 10.7.0.0, time stamp: 0x5dd429b2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x99ca0526
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9269
Faulting process id: 0x1c08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5a46e85993ab6
Faulting application path: H:\Arcade\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a61fdc1c-b95d-4916-bb93-a9f2f74567bf
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

any ideas?

@Retro808 is this the entry you get in the event viewer? it sounds like the same issue me and my other friend's test systems are having. this has been happening since launchbox v9 i think... years. if hyperspin wasn't such a pain in the ass to use.... man i miss how lightweight and nimble that thing was... but horrid to configure. 

Again, please stop assuming that the issues are the same, because I'm pretty sure they're not. From what I can tell, @MrSco's issue is that the hardware is having trouble keeping up with attract mode (which makes sense on an Intel Nuc). I don't have any better method of monitoring RAM usage, other than keeping Task Manager open (you can set Task Manager to Always on Top which can help). It may not be a RAM issue though (could be more of a CPU issue). It might help to pre-populate the image cache if you haven't already.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Again, please stop assuming that the issues are the same, because I'm pretty sure they're not. From what I can tell, @MrSco's issue is that the hardware is having trouble keeping up with attract mode (which makes sense on an Intel Nuc). I don't have any better method of monitoring RAM usage, other than keeping Task Manager open (you can set Task Manager to Always on Top which can help). It may not be a RAM issue though (could be more of a CPU issue). It might help to pre-populate the image cache if you haven't already.

I’ve already said I’ve reproduced the issue across multiple systems. Some that are way more powerful then the NUC, which itself is PLENTY powerful to run a loop of videos, sounds and scrolling images. So it’s extremely doubtful that it’s hardware related at this point. All signs point to bigbox.exe...

Just now, MrSco said:

I’ve already said I’ve reproduced the issue across multiple systems. Some that are way more powerful then the NUC, which itself is PLENTY powerful to run a loop of videos, sounds and scrolling images. So it’s extremely doubtful that it’s hardware related at this point. All signs point to bigbox.exe...

Okay, but I haven't heard about the specs of the other machines. I'm not saying we don't have an issue, but I can't fix it if I don't know what it is. I need debug logs, and as much information as possible for each machine. No need to get combative, because that's just not helpful.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, but I haven't heard about the specs of the other machines. I'm not saying we don't have an issue, but I can't fix it if I don't know what it is. I need debug logs, and as much information as possible for each machine. No need to get combative, because that's just not helpful.

Definitely not trying to be combative, sorry it came off that way. I'm just frustrated as this has been happening since around v10.

The NUC is a NUC6i7KYK https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/89187/intel-nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk.html 

8GB of ram. 

Intel® Iris® Pro Graphics 580. 

Intel® Core™ i7-6770HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

My gaming rig it also crashes on is...

an intel i7 8700k

with 16gb ram

GeForce 1080Ti GPU

Both systems are running launchbox/bigbox from portable usb3.0 2TB mechanical hard drive (also tested different drives but same thing)

I have bigbox.exe running again with performance monitor running in the background to see what the memory usage is.

as far as the image cache pre-populating, i've done that a couple times before and it didn't help, but its been a while so could try again. also, shouldn't just leaving attract mode running cache the images as it scrolls through them all eventually?

what do you need me to do to get the bigbox.exe debug log? what else can i provide? 

1 minute ago, MrSco said:

Definitely not trying to be combative, sorry it came off that way. I'm just frustrated as this has been happening since around v10.

The NUC is a NUC6i7KYK https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/89187/intel-nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk.html 

8GB of ram. 

Intel® Iris® Pro Graphics 580. 

Intel® Core™ i7-6770HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

My gaming rig it also crashes on is...

an intel i7 8700k

with 16gb ram

GeForce 1080Ti GPU

Both systems are running launchbox/bigbox from portable usb3.0 2TB mechanical hard drive (also tested different drives but same thing)

I have bigbox.exe running again with performance monitor running in the background to see what the memory usage is.

as far as the image cache pre-populating, i've done that a couple times before and it didn't help, but its been a while so could try again. also, shouldn't just leaving attract mode running cache the images as it scrolls through them all eventually?

what do you need me to do to get the bigbox.exe debug log? what else can i provide? 

You can enable debug logs under Tools > Options > Debug in LaunchBox, and then the debug logs will show up under LaunchBox\Logs. That should help us going forward to figure it out.

The mechanical USB hard drive might actually end up being the culprit here, because I really don't do any testing that way currently (maybe I should). The four systems that I test on regularly all use internal SATA SSDs and/or mechanical drives. They're all stable and can run for days on end, so that may be the difference.