LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crash while sitting idle doing attract mode

MrSco

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

That's a serious challenge to fix, but the simplest thing to do would be to just slow attract mode down. It runs lightning fast currently, which may be the cause of crashes on lower-end systems. I'll look to add a setting for that here soon, which will hopefully help.

I think you may be on to something with the speed settings. I am one of the thorns in your side with this crashing issue; but, after changing from fastest to Average (for min and max), I was able to go an hour without it crashing-I stopped it at an hour, no crash. I usually have a crash within 15 minutes. Though I still do have the issue with having to force close my Bigbox after exiting if I want to open it again... otherwise it says it is already open. I'm sure you already know of this.

Edited by ItchyRobot

15 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

I think you may be on to something with the speed settings. I am one of the thorns in your side with this crashing issue; but, after changing from fastest to Average (for min and max), I was able to go an hour without it crashing-I stopped it at an hour, no crash. I usually have a crash within 15 minutes. Though I still do have the issue with having to force close my Bigbox after exiting if I want to open it again... otherwise it says it is already open. I'm sure you already know of this.

I lowered the speeds to the “slowest” on the attract mode scrolling but still crashed

1E76FC58-B084-4E00-B840-72ADF35D8107.jpeg

@ItchyRobot @MrSco Can you guys check your event viewer after a crash? Just type Event Viewer into the Start menu and that should load it up. Then go to Windows Logs (on the left), Application. There should be at least one Error entry related to the crash. If you can copy and paste me all that text, it might help me figure out why the crashes are occurring on your machines. There may be multiple entries that apply. LaunchBox logs may be helpful as well, though iirc I think we've exhausted those and they weren't giving me any clues.

The more I think about this and look into it, the more I'm doubting that we're on the right path, especially if crashes are occurring in less than 15 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@ItchyRobot @MrSco Can you guys check your event viewer after a crash? Just type Event Viewer into the Start menu and that should load it up. Then go to Windows Logs (on the left), Application. There should be at least one Error entry related to the crash. If you can copy and paste me all that text, it might help me figure out why the crashes are occurring on your machines. There may be multiple entries that apply. LaunchBox logs may be helpful as well, though iirc I think we've exhausted those and they weren't giving me any clues.

The more I think about this and look into it, the more I'm doubting that we're on the right path, especially if crashes are occurring in less than 15 minutes.

yep, we've been through this...

14 minutes ago, MrSco said:

yep, we've been through this...

That's right, same useless error unfortunately. When I Google that particular error, I get random junk about everything from Red Dead Redemption 2 to Photoshop and all kinds of stuff in between. The best suggestions I've found are to run the Microsoft System File Checker or to uninstall and reinstall ntdll.dll.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-crash-with-ntdlldll/9aa59f80-99a1-4f3c-b2f0-7eb72df05b2a

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/faulting-module-name-ntdlldll/82a80b07-6d81-40f7-8aa6-b11f00098480

I honestly don't think uninstalling and reinstalling ntdll.dll will do any good, but running the system file checker might. Here's the thing, though, can you confirm that you get the same exact error on every machine you've tested it on? Because I'm doubtful that the error will be the same everywhere (that also might be an important clue).

@ItchyRobot What errors are you seeing in the event log?

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

That's right, same useless error unfortunately. When I Google that particular error, I get random junk about everything from Red Dead Redemption 2 to Photoshop and all kinds of stuff in between. The best suggestions I've found are to run the Microsoft System File Checker or to uninstall and reinstall ntdll.dll.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-crash-with-ntdlldll/9aa59f80-99a1-4f3c-b2f0-7eb72df05b2a

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/faulting-module-name-ntdlldll/82a80b07-6d81-40f7-8aa6-b11f00098480

I honestly don't think uninstalling and reinstalling ntdll.dll will do any good, but running the system file checker might. Here's the thing, though, can you confirm that you get the same exact error on every machine you've tested it on? Because I'm doubtful that the error will be the same everywhere (that also might be an important clue).

I’ve done multiple fresh installs of windows and different machines altogether. This isn’t windows. It’s bigbox. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrSco said:

I’ve done multiple fresh installs of windows and different machines altogether. This isn’t windows. It’s bigbox. 

I can't help you if you're not willing to dive in deeper. I'm sorry for the issues, but we have thousands of users who do not have these issues at all, and I need your help to troubleshoot it. I don't care if "it's Big Box" or not, I just want to try and fix it. Unfortunately though, I still need your help to get a lead, or I'm stuck dead in the water. I can't fix anything if I don't know what exactly is broken.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

I can't help you if you're not willing to dive in deeper. I'm sorry for the issues, but we have thousands of users who do not have these issues at all, and I need your help to troubleshoot it. I don't care if "it's Big Box" or not, I just want to try and fix it. Unfortunately though, I still need your help to get a lead, or I'm stuck dead in the water. I can't fix anything if I don't know what exactly is broken.

If you aren’t willing to dive deeper there’s nothing more I can do on my end. There’s nothing illegal about a dude mailing another dude a hard drive in the mail. that’s just a lame excuse cause you won’t dive deeper. 

I’ve dived in as deep as it gets. It makes zero sense to do file repairs on a freshly formatted windows install with all the updates. And I’ve done multiple fresh installs. Across multiple different machines. 

I’ve been debugging and testing your software for the last year dealing with the same issue. I’ve had to code workarounds for your software’s crashes to auto relaunch so my arcade machine stays running. so please don’t tell me I’m not doing my part.

1 minute ago, MrSco said:

If you aren’t willing to dive deeper there’s nothing more I can do on my end. There’s nothing illegal about a dude mailing another dude a hard drive in the mail. that’s just a lame excuse cause you won’t dive deeper. 

I’ve dived in as deep as it gets. It makes zero sense to do file repairs on a freshly formatted windows install with all the updates. And I’ve done multiple fresh installs. Across multiple different machines. 

I’ve been debugging and testing your software for the last year dealing with the same issue. I’ve had to code workarounds for your software’s crashes to auto relaunch so my arcade machine stays running. so please don’t tell me I’m not doing my part.

All I'm asking for is for you to confirm that error messages are the same on different machines...that's it. Can you help with that?

3 minutes ago, MrSco said:

Yes. It’s always the same error

I need to know whether all of the numbers specifically are the same:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x99ca0526
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9269
Faulting process id: 0x1c08

If not, it would very much help to see what the numbers are on the other systems. I understand that it's the same basic error, but the numbers are the key.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I need to know whether all of the numbers specifically are the same:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x99ca0526
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9269
Faulting process id: 0x1c08

If not, it would very much help to see what the numbers are on the other systems. I understand that it's the same basic error, but the numbers are the key.

does it need to be from the same bigbox release version? if so, i'll need to collect from different computer on v11.4. if not... this bigbox version has changed but there is this...

did you ever look at my logs I sent? i never saw a response from you.

@MrSco Thanks. It is important to use the most up to date version if possible, yes. 11.4 would work, but 11.5-beta-2 would actually be better because we've fixed a number of issues with .NET Core.

I did look at all the logs, yes. Sorry if I didn't respond. I haven't been through this whole thread in detail recently, though, and it's certainly easy to forget some of what we've discussed. I just took a look at the very first post, and noticed that you stated that it started with 10.7. That might be an important lead if we can determine that 10.6 does not have the issue. I can get you a copy of 10.6 if you need.

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I've been away from home all day with work, so give me a chance to change it back to "fastest" so I can try to crash it and get report. I will send another reply with your name attached once I get a report.

Usually when it crashes i loose my mouse cursor, so I have to do a hard reboot to use my PC again.
And last time it crashed, it totally froze my machine with a weird sound loop, so gain had to do a hard reboot.
Will rebooting screw up the error log?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

I've been away from home all day with work, so give me a chance to change it back to "fastest" so I can try to crash it and get report. I will send another reply with your name attached once I get a report.

Usually when it crashes i loose my mouse cursor, so I have to do a hard reboot to use my PC again.
And last time it crashed, it totally froze my machine with a weird sound loop, so gain had to do a hard reboot.
Will rebooting screw up the error log?

Thanks @ItchyRobot. A reboot shouldn't mess up the error log.

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@MrSco Thanks. It is important to use the most up to date version if possible, yes. 11.4 would work, but 11.5-beta-2 would actually be better because we've fixed a number of issues with .NET Core.

I did look at all the logs, yes. Sorry if I didn't respond. I haven't been through this whole thread in detail recently, though, and it's certainly easy to forget some of what we've discussed. I just took a look at the very first post, and noticed that you stated that it started with 10.7. That might be an important lead if we can determine that 10.6 does not have the issue. I can get you a copy of 10.6 if you need.

Just got a crash after 10 hours or so on latest 11.5 beta...

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.5.0.4, time stamp: 0x5ee99cfc
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1049, time stamp: 0xb5beef21
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9229
Faulting process id: 0x2640
Faulting application start time: 0x01d687b41bd94788
Faulting application path: H:\Arcade\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 3b148de2-ce76-4ee5-ab21-6d9b06637697
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I'm gonna setup an old v10 build to test... maybe even v9 (this may have started with v10)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks @ItchyRobot. A reboot shouldn't mess up the error log.

Ok, I got a crash after leaving it running all night-about 8 hours.  As usual, the crash resulted in BigBox shutting down leaving me at my desktop with an invisible mouse. See below, let me know if you need any other info.

General tab:

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.4.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ee99cfc
Faulting module name: libavcodec_plugin.dll, version: 3.0.11.0, time stamp: 0xa720a698
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000a686a9
Faulting process id: 0x1d0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d687dcb8a7a567
Faulting application path: Z:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: Z:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\VLC\x64\plugins\codec\libavcodec_plugin.dll
Report Id: 52b683bf-bafd-4bcb-a275-649476dd19a4
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Detail tab:

BigBox.exe 
   5ee99cfc 
   libavcodec_plugin.dll 
   a720a698 
   c0000005 
   0000000000a686a9 
   1d0c 
   01d687dcb8a7a567 
   Z:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe 
   Z:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\VLC\x64\plugins\codec\libavcodec_plugin.dll 
   52b683bf-bafd-4bcb-a275-649476dd19a4 

Edited by ItchyRobot
  • Like 1

Thank you both. It does look like we're dealing with two separate issues here.

@MrSco It will be helpful to know whether you have the issue with those old versions. This is a slightly different fault offset number than the other error I was searching with, so that is helpful as well. I assume it was on a different system?

@ItchyRobot That is telling because it's clearly a VLC issue. It's either a VLC bug, or a bug with the way we communicate with VLC. I'm guessing the latter. I'll dive in and see what I can figure out.