LaunchBox Community Forums

10.14-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

8 minutes ago, andyco47 said:

wot in 5 mins of 10.14 version

The update had been out for an hour by the time that score was achieved. I just checked.

6 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

I'm not saying people are cheating.

...but people are cheating ?

Please don't spread crap like this. It just creates unnecessary drama, and we don't need it. If you have proof of cheating, let me know. But I don't want to hear speculation that there's cheating just because of a high score posted. That's ridiculous.

• Game On 1
  • Haha 1

if you run  moon patrol and go into dip switch setting there is a setting were you wont get killed so play the game to get hi score then go to dip switch again and change it back to normal then play game normal and when you ave finished the game exit and your score will be on launchbox.

Just now, andyco47 said:

if you run  moon patrol and go into dip switch setting there is a setting were you wont get killed so play the game to get hi score then go to dip switch again and change it back to normal then play game normal and when you ave finished the game exit and your score will be on launchbox.

We go out of our way to prevent that. I'll review though to make sure that's not bugged. Please still send me your files so I can review.

1 minute ago, andyco47 said:

I just tried it by setting the dip switch to invincible, got a score and turned it back off. Score failed to upload.

"2020-04-22 07:55:25 PM Aborting MameHighScores.Parse: Dip switches were tampered with."

Apparently Moon Patrol operates differently than most other arcade games with the dip switches. With most games, at least the ones that I tested, the dip switch settings are not updated/refreshed while a game is active. Unfortunately with Moon Patrol, dip switches are updated and immediately take affect while the current game is running. On top of that, MAME doesn't update the .cfg file while the game is running, so unfortunately, we have zero visibility to that. Sadly this means that tracking dip switch changes (for Moon Patrol specifically) is impossible. :/

So that is unfortunate. There are probably some games that are impossible to detect dip switch changes on for that reason. I don't want to give up on this whole feature though, because that would just be sad. We knew from the beginning that we'd never be able to completely eliminate hacking and cheating due to emulation. The good news is that cheating should be very difficult for the majority of games with this version, but apparently not all of them.

At this point, I would encourage users not to touch dip switch changes at all. We will still ban for suspect scores. As much as I wish this was a perfect system, at some point I have to move on to other things, and I'm confident that what we have is as close as we're going to be able to get to getting rid of cheating. MAME was never built to prevent that to begin with.