LaunchBox Community Forums

10.14-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hey all, the first 10.14 beta out now with the following:

• Improvement: Handling of multiple instances of LaunchBox and Big Box has been improved with a proper message instead of just ending the second process or focusing the window

• Improvement: The MAME high scores system now checks MAME .cfg files to help prevent cheating by changing dip switches, and several other stability improvements were made as well

• Improvement: Adjusted thread priorities in a few spots in order to speed up some common user interface operations

• Fixed: Several issues with LaunchBox and Big Box not closing properly under certain situations

• Fixed: Blank image priority entries were showing up when upgrading from previous versions with no priorities checked

The current goal is to fix a few more bugs, and then put out 10.14 relatively quickly. 10.13 is working well for the high scores, but since this adds new anti-cheat methods, we'd like to get 10.14 out soon.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

@Jason Carr: Is it possible to get a Blank game Video added to LB like the Blank game image? So if there is not a video, we can have it fall back to a default video? Currently I am making a copy and renaming it, but that is a pain a big waste of HDD space.

I believe that's the first I've heard that request. Not possible currently, unfortunately. Can you add a Bitbucket ticket for it?

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, the first 10.14 beta out now with the following:

• Improvement: Handling of multiple instances of LaunchBox and Big Box has been improved with a proper message instead of just ending the second process or focusing the window

• Improvement: The MAME high scores system now checks MAME .cfg files to help prevent cheating by changing dip switches, and several other stability improvements were made as well

Does this mean if people don't/can't update they can essentially cheat the system?

59 minutes ago, andyco47 said:

cant you just reset all the hi scores and start again is that possible.

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, though I'm not sure if we'll do that or not. We might take a vote in this thread.

Was going to ask the same thing. As long as it's made sure that things are tested and working properly I think it'd be best to restart with a clean slate. I don't mind losing my top spots at all. It'd be a shame to have some unrealistic scores floating around forever when it could have been prevented with a one time reset. Totally understand the nature of emulation keeps it from being 100% cheat proof, I can live with it if someone hacks there way onto the top spot, it would just be a shame to keep old scores around before one of the most important anti-cheat measures was implemented.

Anyway, super stoked that the dipswitch checking of the cfg is happening! Big thanks to anyone who worked on it! ?

• Like 1

Leaderboards are not showing for me on 10.14 beta 1. I also updated to Arcade64 0.220 with a 0.220 romset today, could this be because im using Arcade64 and not MAME? it was working fine in 10.13, with a 0.218 romset and Arcade64 0.218, so has the new anti cheat measures affected this?

Thanks Jason.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Leaderboards are not showing for me on 10.14 beta 1. I also updated to Arcade64 0.220 with a 0.220 romset today, could this be because im using Arcade64 and not MAME? it was working fine in 10.13, with a 0.218 romset and Arcade64 0.218, so has the new anti cheat measures affected this?

Thanks Jason.

Yes, unfortunately we added some additional anti-cheat measures, and they probably affect Arcade64 compatibility. Sorry about that Neil. Unfortunately we're going to have to be more strict going forward about using official versions of MAME.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, unfortunately we added some additional anti-cheat measures, and they probably affect Arcade64 compatibility. Sorry about that Neil. Unfortunately we're going to have to be more strict going forward about using official versions of MAME.

So how will this affect folks that use RetroArch or does it, if I might ask?

Edited by Wanderer189

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

OK, yeah switched to standard MAME and the leaderboards immediately appeared.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Retroarch was never supported, and would be even less plausible now with the new anti cheat measures.

Ah, ty Neil. I didnt know this was a MAME thing, didn't know it mattered about the emulator used

Edited by Wanderer189

Beta 2 is out now with the following:

• Improvement: Several games with high scores issues were fixed thanks to GreatStone and the hi2txt project

• Improvement: Several other changes were made to the MAME high scores system to improve security and stability. After the 10.14 release, unfortunately 10.12 and 10.13 will no longer be able to upload high scores. This is to make sure that no one stays on 10.12 or 10.13 in order to attempt to cheat.

• Fixed: Sorting columns in the "Associated Platforms" tab of the Edit Emulator screen would sometimes throw an error

• Fixed: Rare error with the Download Media context menu option on the Audit screen

• Fixed: Rare but random error related to music tracks

Assuming we don't run into any new issues with this beta, I'm planning on putting out the 10.14 official release tomorrow in order to get the improved MAME high scores stuff live. Any testing you guys can do would be appreciated, because the last thing we want is to push out a release with an undiscovered issue. :)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Assuming we don't run into any new issues with this beta, I'm planning on putting out the 10.14 official release tomorrow in order to get the improved MAME high scores stuff live. Any testing you guys can do would be appreciated, because the last thing we want is to push out a release with an undiscovered issue. :)

Will be testing a little later today :)

• Like 1