LaunchBox Community Forums

10.14-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

7 minutes ago, Underoath13 said:

Just finished testing 10 arcade games in the 10.14-beta-2  build with both dip switches on and off, and everything works as expected! Also didn't run into any non dip switch issues either, everything was perfect. Things are looking good! ?

Awesome, thanks. :)

Will the MAME High Scores Supported Category be changed at all if new games appear that support High Score saving or is that as and when Launchbox gets updated.

Also on the topic of the pull down category.....

I do get quite a few non-mame arcade games in there

Alien Invaders: Plus - Magnavox Odyssey 2

Battlezone - Atari XEGS

Crystal Castles - Atari XEGS

The problem is that they ARE launched by MAME but for emulating the console or computer but equally they all have the same filename as the actual arcade rom.  I have removed one or two from the MAME high scores category but it removes them from the actual console/computer category.

Hope that explains it

Brent

2 hours ago, brentg said:

Will the MAME High Scores Supported Category be changed at all if new games appear that support High Score saving or is that as and when Launchbox gets updated.

Also on the topic of the pull down category.....

I do get quite a few non-mame arcade games in there

Alien Invaders: Plus - Magnavox Odyssey 2

Battlezone - Atari XEGS

Crystal Castles - Atari XEGS

The problem is that they ARE launched by MAME but for emulating the console or computer but equally they all have the same filename as the actual arcade rom.  I have removed one or two from the MAME high scores category but it removes them from the actual console/computer category.

Hope that explains it

Brent

Supported games are read from the LaunchBox\ThirdParty\hi2txt\hi2txt.zip file. If you update the version of hi2txt in this folder with a new version, then the new games that are supported in that version will be marked as supported in LaunchBox.

Unfortunately there's no way to determine whether those non-arcade MAME games are arcade or not, unless we hardcode a platform name, and require that all MAME high scores games use a specific platform name (like Arcade or MAME). I thought about doing that, but then I'm afraid people with custom platform names will have issues. So for this release, at least, we'll leave that the way it is. I don't know how else to deal with that issue.

1 hour ago, andyco47 said:

im using arcade64 nonag and the leaderboards are showing up in launchbox when i click a game with new beta.

That's interesting. I'm guessing that you just must have it configured exactly like official MAME. There's nothing wrong with Arcade64 of course, so if it works, then great. It must be meeting all the anti-cheat requirements.

• Like 1

FYI all, all is looking good with the release, and clearly the vast majority vote is to reset the high scores. I will be putting out the 10.14 release here shortly this morning, then disabling submitting high scores for previous versions and resetting all the high scores.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Supported games are read from the LaunchBox\ThirdParty\hi2txt\hi2txt.zip file. If you update the version of hi2txt in this folder with a new version, then the new games that are supported in that version will be marked as supported in LaunchBox.

Unfortunately there's no way to determine whether those non-arcade MAME games are arcade or not, unless we hardcode a platform name, and require that all MAME high scores games use a specific platform name (like Arcade or MAME). I thought about doing that, but then I'm afraid people with custom platform names will have issues. So for this release, at least, we'll leave that the way it is. I don't know how else to deal with that issue.

Totally understandable.

Only thought on it is - could it not be in a playlist like style whereby I could remove the "reference " to an entry rather than the entry itself.  Or maybe I could try myself as I have just seen the MAME Scores supported field in playlists :)

So Scratch that - I have made my own.  Just MAME High scores field set to true and platform set to Arcade.  Works Fine!

Brent

• Like 1

@Jason CarrJust a quick question about the anti-cheat process and dip switches... which I'm very happy to see implemented btw.  Cheaters suck, and it's sad that people do that in order to claim being the "best".  So, in the interest of preventing work-arounds, what would be the result of the following scenario:

Tampering with dip switches to get, and record a false hiscore in your .hi file.  I know when you close the game out that hiscrore would now not be submitted due to the anticheat being detected. But, let's say you then reset your dip switches back to normal, play again, and get another hiscore (lower than the one recorded while cheating).  When you close the game out the second time and the hiscore file is reviewed and submitted as you are now not cheating, would it submit just the hiscore obtained for that session, or would it submit the hiscore you had previously recorded while cheating?  I'm hoping it only submits hiscores for the session that was just closed, and that can be confirmed as not being compromised, and not ones recorded previously .. I guess is where I'm going with the question :)

14 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

@Jason CarrJust a quick question about the anti-cheat process and dip switches... which I'm very happy to see implemented btw.  Cheaters suck, and it's sad that people do that in order to claim being the "best".  So, in the interest of preventing work-arounds, what would be the result of the following scenario:

Tampering with dip switches to get, and record a false hiscore in your .hi file.  I know when you close the game out that hiscrore would now not be submitted due to the anticheat being detected. But, let's say you then reset your dip switches back to normal, play again, and get another hiscore (lower than the one recorded while cheating).  When you close the game out the second time and the hiscore file is reviewed and submitted as you are now not cheating, would it submit just the hiscore obtained for that session, or would it submit the hiscore you had previously recorded while cheating?  I'm hoping it only submits hiscores for the session that was just closed, and that can be confirmed as not being compromised, and not ones recorded previously .. I guess is where I'm going with the question :)

Only newly achieved high scores are uploaded (scores achieved during the current run), so that should not be a relevant issue.