LaunchBox Community Forums

10.14-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

At this point, I would encourage users not to touch dip switch changes at all. We will still ban for suspect scores. As much as I wish this was a perfect system, at some point I have to move on to other things, and I'm confident that what we have is as close as we're going to be able to get to getting rid of cheating. MAME was never built to prevent that to begin with.

At the end of the say this is a "for fun" feature, if people are taking it so seriously that they are cheating then I don't know what to say. We aren't Guinness World Records or Twin Galaxies, there is literally no reason to cheat other than ones own personal epeen because no one cares that you have the high score on a game here. Prevent as much cheating as it is feasibly possible to do but beyond that it's just a waste of effort because you could spend endless amounts of time trying to do what Twin Galaxies does except they do it for money and they still have cheating.

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

At the end of the say this is a "for fun" feature, if people are taking it so seriously that they are cheating then I don't know what to say. We aren't Guinness World Records or Twin Galaxies, there is literally no reason to cheat other than ones own personal epeen because no one cares that you have the high score on a game here. Prevent as much cheating as it is feasibly possible to do but beyond that it's just a waste of effort because you could spend endless amounts of time trying to do what Twin Galaxies does except they do it for money and they still have cheating.

Yes, agreed. This was a last ditch effort to prevent obvious cheating, and it succeeds in preventing a lot of it. But again, we'll never be able to catch everything. Regardless, it succeeds in my original goals:

• To encourage playing more MAME games by encouraging healthy competition
  • To improve discovery of games you haven't played before
  • To bring the community more together
  • Like 2

Personally, I love the feature and, for me at least, it's doing exactly what it was intended to do.  It's making me play more of my Mame games.  I usually play my console games, and rarely played mame.  I now see myself going back and playing the classics and trying to beat people's scores (which is near impossible because I suck at arcade games lol).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CDBlue said:

Personally, I love the feature and, for me at least, it's doing exactly what it was intended to do.  It's making me play more of my Mame games.  I usually play my console games, and rarely played mame.  I now see myself going back and playing the classics and trying to beat people's scores (which is near impossible because I suck at arcade games lol).

Yeah, same for me. :)

31 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, agreed. This was a last ditch effort to prevent obvious cheating, and it succeeds in preventing a lot of it. But again, we'll never be able to catch everything. Regardless, it succeeds in my original goals:

• To encourage playing more MAME games by encouraging healthy competition
  • To improve discovery of games you haven't played before
  • To bring the community more together

I was joking earlier. Sadly you're never going to stop people from cheating (at anything).

The All-Time Leaderboards are where people will be trying to land their names by whatever means possible. I just set mine to show the Weekly Leaderboards only.

Seems less likely that people will go through the hassle of changing settings back and forth every time they play, so emphasizing the short-term records seems like a better way to get an accurate picture of how your colleagues are scoring.

I think we can stop making accusations and just focus on troubleshooting. If a score looks off post it and say it looks off so it can be looked at. I think everyone is well aware you will not be able to stop all cheating. It's a shame that worrying so much about cheating in an old video game led to assuming someone cheated and that person even created a post about his score being wrong.

32 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I think we can stop making accusations and just focus on troubleshooting. If a score looks off post it and say it looks off so it can be looked at. I think everyone is well aware you will not be able to stop all cheating. It's a shame that worrying so much about cheating in an old video game led to assuming someone cheated and that person even created a post about his score being wrong.

It was Andyco47 who pointed out that Moon Patrol scores for example can be manipulated, which until that moment Jason did not think was possible.

Instead of scolding him, personally I think he should be thanked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenGriffon said:

It was Andyco47 who pointed out that Moon Patrol scores for example can be manipulated, which until that moment Jason did not think was possible.

Instead of scolding him, personally I think he should be thanked.

He was not scolded. If he was scolded I would have tagged him directly and told him directly to stop. The reason I even bothered to say something was the numerous times cheating has been mentioned in this and other threads. Jason has even mentioned himself the unnecessary drama of the cheating claim. So thanks for chiming in without understanding the full context. I am not going to thank him for making an assumption someone cheated when that person even started his own post about the error.

The whole point is instead of crying "cheat" just post you see a score that does not seem correct so it can be looked at. To claim someone might have cheated and that person posted his scores were wrong is the exact reason not to make an assumption.

• Like 1