LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox - Second Monitor Question

Javery

30 minutes ago, GCS2000 said:

Bringing up an old thread but it seemed a good place to post.

Is there a way to make this work with a smaller LCD?

I have one of the 15" chinese displays that is actually 1280x390 (Windows sees as 1280x720).  It does the job ok.

With the standard xml the marquess do show in the middle of the screen and are fine left to right but top to bottom they are smaller and do not "fill" the screen.  It would nice if they did.  Also when the marquee does not fill the screen black is shown.  It would be nice to have the blurred background that this does when this is needed.

Using the xml above it squishes the marquees up to the top and shrinks them down.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to adjust the xml to accommodate this screen?

Screen is this one here https://www.amazon.com/VSDISPLAY-LTA149B780F-Controller-M-NT68676-Raspberry/dp/B07QGBL568/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_0/138-8626628-2402042?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07QGBL568&pd_rd_r=aeb51e76-8770-44b0-8f43-99f5b6ed6658&pd_rd_w=XsywW&pd_rd_wg=yF8VW&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=DN40J765J00AJN2KZKWK&psc=1&refRID=DN40J765J00AJN2KZKWK

TIA

Yes. You can get it to work. I use that exact screen on a mini cab I built for the kids. I am not near my workstation pc, but as soon as I get a chance I can get you an xml file that will work.

13 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yes. You can get it to work. I use that exact screen on a mini cab I built for the kids. I am not near my workstation pc, but as soon as I get a chance I can get you an xml file that will work.

Fantastic thanks!

BTW any chance you have some settings for the screen that might help it look better.  It just seems so washed out to me.  Granted it is above eye level so we are kinda looking up at it and these screens don't have the best viewing angle but it should be better than it is IMHO.  I have fiddled with brightness and contrast several times and just can't find a sweet spot.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

@GCS2000 The build I am using it on is an AMD and it does not recognize 1280x390 as a custom resolution so I had to make some sacrifices. The xaml below will at least make actual marquees fit the screen better, but any games without a marquee the fallback image will look bad. These should at least get your marquees fitting the screen better.

If you are using Nvidia you can try going into the Nvidia Display settings and creating a custom resolution of 1280x390 and set the scaling to "full-screen". I think that is what I did on a friends build that we used this screen on and using the original xaml posted earlier we got the correct look.

PlatformMarqueeView.xaml GameMarqueeView.xaml

11 hours ago, GCS2000 said:

Fantastic thanks!

BTW any chance you have some settings for the screen that might help it look better.  It just seems so washed out to me.  Granted it is above eye level so we are kinda looking up at it and these screens don't have the best viewing angle but it should be better than it is IMHO.  I have fiddled with brightness and contrast several times and just can't find a sweet spot.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Hello, I just buy this same screen month ago, so satisfy so far.  2 things bring my attention to this thread.

This part about 'seem washed out' and 'don't have the best angle'. I observe but not explain it at all if you reverse the screen , the angle is way better.  

Personally, i had to buy an another old but good video card cause i need to make a custom resolution and have a s-video output.  Not easy to find :)

34 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@GCS2000 Not sure if it would help in this case but washed out screen problems can be fixed by setting your gpu setting from limited color space to full rgb 0-255.

Not sure if we talk about same thing though.  But in my case...reverse the screen marquee make the picture look just as normal in sitting position.  I built a pinball also and see that effect with another screen monitors.  Like if company made those screen for a certain angle view.  Which can make a certain sense.  Usually when you use a screen...the screen is bellow your eye or centered.  Rarely the reverse like we need with a marquee 

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had an issue where the marquee screen doesn't appear until you go into the BigBox Settings and toggle the Marquee options back and forth? I find this happens every time I start up BigBox. I'm also struggling to get the marquee to align properly on my 1920x502 2nd screen - It's an LG display that Windows does see as that exact resolution, so I don't think I need the grid.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, jkimrey said:

Is there any way yet to get other information to show on the marquee (second screen) such as high scores, etc?

You can have more data show. It is possible to get any of the metadata fields to show. I have one marquee that show the game notes. Might be possible for the high-scores. Never tried so I cannot confirm. But if BB can show it, then it may work. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 8:11 PM, GCS2000 said:

Bringing up an old thread but it seemed a good place to post.

Is there a way to make this work with a smaller LCD?

I have one of the 15" chinese displays that is actually 1280x390 (Windows sees as 1280x720).  It does the job ok.

With the standard xml the marquess do show in the middle of the screen and are fine left to right but top to bottom they are smaller and do not "fill" the screen.  It would nice if they did.  Also when the marquee does not fill the screen black is shown.  It would be nice to have the blurred background that this does when this is needed.

Using the xml above it squishes the marquees up to the top and shrinks them down.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to adjust the xml to accommodate this screen?

Screen is this one here https://www.amazon.com/VSDISPLAY-LTA149B780F-Controller-M-NT68676-Raspberry/dp/B07QGBL568/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_0/138-8626628-2402042?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07QGBL568&pd_rd_r=aeb51e76-8770-44b0-8f43-99f5b6ed6658&pd_rd_w=XsywW&pd_rd_wg=yF8VW&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=DN40J765J00AJN2KZKWK&psc=1&refRID=DN40J765J00AJN2KZKWK

TIA

I have the same issue. Did you ever get it resolved? Also did you try running it in 1280x390? I can set it to that in Nvidia, but when I do BigBox fails to use the screen as a marquee.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 8:51 AM, Retro808 said:

You can have more data show. It is possible to get any of the metadata fields to show. I have one marquee that show the game notes. Might be possible for the high-scores. Never tried so I cannot confirm. But if BB can show it, then it may work. 

Hi Retro

Is it possible you could let me know how you get game notes to show on you marquee monitor? I would love to be able to show Metadata along with the game marquee.

12 minutes ago, Huntsmiester said:

Hi Retro

Is it possible you could let me know how you get game notes to show on you marquee monitor? I would love to be able to show Metadata along with the game marquee.

You will have to create or edit the GameMarqueeView.xaml and depending on how you have your view laid out the simplest thing is to add a text block and bind it to the notes.

<TextBlock Text="{Binding Path=ActiveGame.Notes}" Foreground="White" />

You could also bind the notes and use a horizontal or vertical scrolling canvas. There is a line you would need to add to the user control for this as well. But an example of using the code is below for a vertical scroll.

<Canvas x:Name="NotesCanvas" ClipToBounds="True" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="6,10,40,40">
      <controls:ScrollableTextBlock Name="ScrollingNotes" Text="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.Notes}" FontSize="24" FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_ROOT_FOLDER/Themes/Unified Redux/Fonts/Prototype.ttf#Prototype" Foreground="White" TextWrapping="WrapWithOverflow" Width="{Binding ElementName=NotesCanvas, Path=ActualWidth}" ScrollBeginDelay="6" ScrollSpeed="2" ScrollAutoReverse="False" ScrollEndDelay="6" ReverseScrollSpeed="0.5" ScrollDirection="Up" >
         <controls:ScrollableTextBlock.Effect>
           <DropShadowEffect BlurRadius="2" ShadowDepth="2"/>
         </controls:ScrollableTextBlock.Effect>
      </controls:ScrollableTextBlock>
</Canvas>

If you go into the Launchbox\Themes folder there is a Documentation.pdf file than can help you see what bindings do what and examples of how to use them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there I have a similar situation.  I have the GameMarqueeView.xaml file setup for my marquee but would like to bind a second window to another set of artwork files.  My cabinet is going to be "Back to the Future" themed and I'm setting the second "window" as the time circuits clock in the DeLorean.  The "destination time" will be the release date of the current game. I'm currently making secondary marquees for all my games with the correct dates.  I've attached a picture of my "in progress" cabinet that shows what I'm trying to accomplish.  The second marquee is between the marquee and the play screen.  I've also attached my current xaml file.  I'm assuming I'll need another artwork folder like "marquee2" to put the time circuits into and  they would be named the same as the standard marquee image.  Is this something you can help with?

64695502635__6214060D-4292-45B3-B572-99ACA3BF0643.thumb.jpg.17b244a27013d92274c07e60aad7ddee.jpgGameMarqueeView.xaml

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 6:26 PM, Mr. RetroLust said:

To use clear logos instead of marquee images go to tools and change image priority settings in "arcade marquee", make the clear logos top priority.

Forgive me for dragging up this old topic, but I was trying to figure out how to change the image priorities for the marquee and I stumbled upon this post so went to check it out in LB but alas, I don't seem to have that option. Am I missing something or has it been removed? For reference I have gone to Tools->Options, then scrolled down to media where the only priorities I have are: Box Front, Box Back, 3D Box, Cart Front, Cart Back, 3D Cart,  Background, Screenshot, Video and Viewing.

It seems the 2nd in my priority chain is 3D Box, and I wanted to set it to Clear Logos.

5 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

A lot of this will change with the release of 12.0. We should be releasing today. It changes how the default marquee view looks and adds new image priorities to do what you are trying to accomplish.

Oh wow, ok. Then I shall hang fire and wait patiently for the new release. Thanks for the feedback.

24 minutes ago, eddiemonsta said:

Forgive me for dragging up this old topic, but I was trying to figure out how to change the image priorities for the marquee and I stumbled upon this post so went to check it out in LB but alas, I don't seem to have that option. Am I missing something or has it been removed? For reference I have gone to Tools->Options, then scrolled down to media where the only priorities I have are: Box Front, Box Back, 3D Box, Cart Front, Cart Back, 3D Cart,  Background, Screenshot, Video and Viewing.

It seems the 2nd in my priority chain is 3D Box, and I wanted to set it to Clear Logos.

Yeah sorry this option wasn't even possible back then, I was having a brain fart I guess. Really happy with the new option coming today!