LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone used Skraper?

Johnny T

Hi all,

I recently heard about "Skraper" for getting game media. On their website it mentions Launchbox.

Assuming it is just a media scraper - is it better than LB's own media scraper? 

Anyone used it and can comment on whether it's any good or not? Or does it just use the same repository as LB?

Thanks

I use it for LaunchBox, my Attract Mode and Emulation Station installs. Generally I feel it works better than the built in LB scraper, but your mileage may vary. No database will probably ever be totally complete. Be aware the free account is limited in the amount per day you can scrape, but unless you plan on scraping 24x7, you will probably never hit the limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

I use it for LaunchBox, my Attract Mode and Emulation Station installs. Generally I feel it works better than the built in LB scraper, but your mileage may vary. No database will probably ever be totally complete. Be aware the free account is limited in the amount per day you can scrape, but unless you plan on scraping 24x7, you will probably never hit the limit.

Thanks dragon. I'll probably check it out at the weekend if I get time. 

What's your "attract mode"? Is that not just flashing lights? Or does it do something else as well?

Ahhhh... right. Thanks, I thought I was missing something there! :)

I've just downloaded Skraper and it's busy "downloading resources" at the moment. I'll carry on with it on Friday hopefully when I get chance and see what it's all about.

Thanks again Dragon :) :)

I just used it 2 days ago for around 15 systems, and it worked fine. Mainly used it to scrape images for my RG350M and the SimpleMenu frontend, you can chose the images you want, I use the user defined 3 in 1 images, they look quite nice, plus they get resized to the correct size for the RG350M screen. 

5 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

I just used it 2 days ago for around 15 systems, and it worked fine. Mainly used it to scrape images for my RG350M and the SimpleMenu frontend, you can chose the images you want, I use the user defined 3 in 1 images, they look quite nice, plus they get resized to the correct size for the RG350M screen. 

Thanks for that. I actually watched a YouTube vid last night about it and the guy on there was using the 3 in 1 images and they looked brilliant (he was using RetroPie). Will check it out. Really like the idea of the project too so will probably support it.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot Skraper? I just downloaded it yesterday to try and get game videos. I went through the setup wizard where I choose the LaunchBox home folder, my games home folder, but then when I proceed to the main app page it shows zero systems (I have three). I'm selecting the games folder as shown in an instructional video for Skraper with Retropie, but it's just not registering anything. 

Any thoughts from anyone?

Windows 10 pro is my operating system. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, neil9000 said:

Ask on there forums, skraper is nothing to do with us, and in fact we actively tell people not to use it, as it causes nothing but problems for us. 

Don't  get me wrong.... but i used skraper in order to solve a lot of issues with launchbox scraping and import roms...
I used Mame XML importer beta 0.1 (launchbox 3rd party plugin) in order to have arcade roms with the right name....

So ok we shouldn't use "nothing to do with us" utilities , but help us to use Launchbox in the proper way :)

43 minutes ago, cybermat said:

Don't  get me wrong.... but i used skraper in order to solve a lot of issues with launchbox scraping and import roms...
I used Mame XML importer beta 0.1 (launchbox 3rd party plugin) in order to have arcade roms with the right name....

So ok we shouldn't use "nothing to do with us" utilities , but help us to use Launchbox in the proper way :)

Use, non respected third party programs, if you want to be a .....

• 3 months later...
On 5/16/2021 at 1:55 PM, neil9000 said:

Ask on there forums, skraper is nothing to do with us, and in fact we actively tell people not to use it, as it causes nothing but problems for us. 

I've had success using Skraper for importing roms into EmulationStation on a Sega Megadrive Mini.  I wasn't aware of any issues with what source it used for scraping.  I thought screenscraper.fr was just an alternative to the LB Database.  I probably won't use it again if it's using another company's information but, like other members here, I have problems using the Launchbox scraper.  Is there anything we can try to ensure the built in scraper is more successful in finding and downloading the correct information?  I don't think it's the naming convention as my various ROMs within their respective systems are named the same but, for example, some Megadrive/Genesis games are scraped successfully, others aren't, some Saturn games are scraped successfully, others aren't.  In my current LB installation I have 7951 entries that are missing boxes for example, not to mention those missing other media.  I don't want to have to go through nearly 8000 entries and manually download media or rename the title (in some cases by simply removing a colon) in order for the built in scraper to work.  I accept that it may introduce other problems from your (i.e. Launchbox admin's) point of view but my from experiences of Skraper in ES I find that it just works.  So perhaps, rather than saying "We recommend you don't use Skraper", an acceptable alternative could be suggested?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...