LaunchBox Community Forums

Running LaunchBox and Big Box on Linux

Jason Carr

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm glad to see people making headway with this, currently with Steam allowing good support for linux the only reason I even use Windows still is Launchbox. Would really like to ditch the telemetry machine eventually.

@Crossfader The problem with just porting the Android version is you still would need a windows install to setup the data for it, though I suppose if someone were able to get the performance worked out in linux it would provide that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not going to add much to this thread other than I really would pay another license juste for a Linux port of Launchbox/Bigbox. I really like it, and now that my Windows emulation machine is dead (SSD crashed) I was thinking about installing Linux instead because Windows is getting worse and worse as time goes by and given how hostile Microsoft is being I don't see this improving at all.

On the other side, Linux has made big improvements and while it's far from perfect, it's made lots of progress.

Being a dev myself I understand how big of a rewrite would be considering the tech used to build Launchbox to begin with, so all I can do is add my voice to the crowd who would like a Linux version of launchbox.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Though the topic is stale, maybe a new approach might be possible for the Launchbox team. Identifying the needs vs the wants for Launchbox on Linux by ignoring feature parity with the current client.

There isn't any other front end with a competent meta data ecosystem on any platform. This is truly what makes Launchbox unique and special compared to it's competition, not to ignore all it's amazing features it provides. The second best front end is Emulation Station which is open source, but the meta data is not free and Skraper horribly slow/limited considering they want payment.

Maybe forking Emulation Station (Launch Station?) and using the license key to access the Launchbox db could be a realistic solution that can be brought forward? Even if Emulation Station would require payout for using their code, just mark up the Linux license to cover the difference?

Feature parity can be ignored as long as the meta data system works properly, it's honestly why everyone is here.

Considering the popularity of the Steam Deck and Linux moving forward, a fork of trusted open source software might be the better solution. Most issues can be addressed with Emulation Station as the main product here is the meta data system that needs to be implemented.

stabmyeyesout.png

• Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 1 month later...

I would just like to add that I would be willing to pay for a license on Linux, I moved to Linux two years ago and I haven't used Launchbox since, I am using ES-DE. I would happily pay for a Linux License if this were working proper in Linux. Thanks for all you do. 

• Like 1