LaunchBox Community Forums

Suggested feature - sorting newer console games by game/emulator compatibility

smpetty

Would it be possible to sort newer console system game lists by the individual game compatibility for the emulator used to emulate that system?

Systems that I am referring to include RPSC3, Ryjinx, Yuzu, CEMU, Citra, and CXBX-R.  All of these emulators maintain compatibility pages that list games as playable or broken (with various in-between degrees of compatibility).  It would be wonderful to sort game lists based on compatibility data.

Thanks for the best front-end that I've ever used!

How would this even be possible? Compatibility changes constantly and is usually moderately reliable and completely dependent on emulator release. Then you have nightly vs stable and patches and mods. Seems a little silly to invest time in something that would be so unreliable. Nice pipe dream. 

That being said,  I wish there was a way to be notified of emulator updates through Launchbox with direct links. Now that would be helpful!

I'm no coder, but the compatibility pages for these emulators are regularly updated and could be polled by the LB software (when requested) to allow sorted game lists.  Things like ratings and metatdata change constantly and are updated by LB.  The compatibility pages do not distinguish between compatibility for nightly/canary versions and stable versions.

Nothing silly about it.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Laor said:

How would this even be possible? Compatibility changes constantly and is usually moderately reliable and completely dependent on emulator release. Then you have nightly vs stable and patches and mods. Seems a little silly to invest time in something that would be so unreliable. Nice pipe dream. 

That being said,  I wish there was a way to be notified of emulator updates through Launchbox with direct links. Now that would be helpful!

3 minutes ago, smpetty said:

I'm no coder, but the compatibility pages for these emulators are regularly updated and could be polled by the LB software (when requested) to allow sorted game lists.  Things like ratings and metatdata change constantly and are updated by LB.  The compatibility pages do not distinguish between compatibility for nightly/canary versions and stable versions.

Nothing silly about it.

Everyone also has different hardware though, so what works for one person may not work for another. There is no one size fits all for emulators that emulate such new systems. In fact i would actually go as far as to say that a large portion of our audience dont even have the hardware capable of running these systems. So then then question is, even if it was feasible to add to Launchbox, how useful would it actually be to the userbase in order for us to dedicate time and money to developing said feature.

Good points.  It would save those that can run these emulators, some of which don't require high-end systems (CEMU), from trying to run known incompatible titles.   And, of course, over time the average emulation setup will get better and the efficiency of these emulators will improve.

10 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Everyone also has different hardware though, so what works for one person may not work for another. There is no one size fits all for emulators that emulate such new systems. In fact i would actually go as far as to say that a large portion of our audience dont even have the hardware capable of running these systems. So then then question is, even if it was feasible to add to Launchbox, how useful would it actually be to the userbase in order for us to dedicate time and money to developing said feature.

Sticking to my points. Anyone who uses the compatibility reports from the newest emulators knows that they are hardly ever up-to-date or consistent and reliable. How many yuzu and rcpc3 flagship games rely on mods and hacks to actually be enjoyably (objectively) playable? Just between cemu and Yuzu and rcpc 3 it's a bit of a mess. Also,  You just have to tinker with each game based on  your own settings - and we didn't even get into the difference between RAM,  AMD and Nvidia cards. Then there is the issue of naming conventions matching LB.  region differences?  And differences between nightly and stable are important to me as user of many nightly versions of emulators. Ugh and then regressions... who will keep track of  website changes - structurally? What is worth tracking?  Yuzu, cemu, ryujinx, rcpc3, pcs2?  not picking an argument Just pointing out how it seems impossible to build it to a point of usefulness

I agree that there is not much of a point to adding compatibility lists to Launchbox for reasons mentioned above. Quite often games that change status require fiddleling with settings, you might aswell use the emulator to test. Most emulators have these lists in their GUI anyway. But you can add your unplayable games to LaunchBox en mark them as broken. That way you can allways test if a game works or not.

• 5 months later...