LaunchBox Community Forums

How to hide clear logos on playlists.

kevin.k

24 minutes ago, eric77 said:

If I may suggest to the developers:
A simple solution is to add a Platform Wheel that can not accept Clear Logos.
You can name it "Platform Wheel (No Clear Logos)" or something like this.

Sometimes simple solutions mean back end coding changes which could then require all theme developers to go back and fix themes as well so that could cause more issues than believed.

Also if you do not want to use clear logos than why not just select the Text List View?

24 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Sometimes simple solutions mean back end coding changes which could then require all theme developers to go back and fix themes as well so that could cause more issues than believed.

Also if you do not want to use clear logos than why not just select the Text List View?

I don't know if one extra wheel may break anything for anyone, since it's just a wheel that can't accept Clear Logos and it's not the default one (you have to chose it by yourself) that's all. Anyway, this bug should be fixed somehow. That's for sure IMHO.

12 minutes ago, eric77 said:

I personally don't use or like the Text List View because it doesn't animate and it's small.

Well thats sort of the point of a view without artwork, without artwork the game names will be text, and why would you animate that? Also we have hundreds of different themes here on the forums, surely one of those has a view closer to what you actually want?

13 minutes ago, eric77 said:

I don't know if one extra wheel may break anything for anyone, since it's just a wheel that can't accept Clear Logos and it's not the default one (you have to chose it by yourself) that's all.

It would mean that every theme we have here would have to be updated to work with the new view, and we all know that some themes are simply abandoned at this point and will never receive those updates.

15 minutes ago, eric77 said:

Anyway, this bug should be fixed somehow. That's for sure IMHO.

Its not a bug, it is completely by design and working exactly as intended.

41 minutes ago, eric77 said:

I don't know if one extra wheel may break anything for anyone, since it's just a wheel that can't accept Clear Logos and it's not the default one (you have to chose it by yourself) that's all. Anyway, this bug should be fixed somehow. That's for sure IMHO.

That's my point. Many users state something is "simple" without actually knowing the overall affect it will have. We have seen a simple change made to LB cause all sorts of plugins and themes to no longer work properly. Then simple became a workaround for a lot of things. Functions that would affect how a theme looks means all prior themes then need to be updated to support that new feature. Not saying I do not agree an update is not needed just that sometimes things are not as simple as one thinks.

It is not a bug as the program is working as designed. BigBox does generate certain playlist genre logos to ensure that in the Clear Logo wheel list some of the more standard clear logos for genre playlists are there. The desire for text view is the reason Jason requires all themes support text list. So users have text as opposed to clear logo option.

I don't foresee any changes related to this logic happening any time soon. If we do add anything it would be an option NOT to use the fallback values instead of creating yet another view. In the meantime an easy work around would be to simply use an online tool that generates text images in various fonts, and then save them as your clear logo for that platform/playlist/category, giving you the best of both of worlds. You have a clear logo that is text, AND you can ensure the font and colors mesh well with your theme of choice.

1- I want a big text wheel to use on big TV screen like the OP mentioned. And I think an animated text will look great for that (it's like all the other 4 wheels, but without forced clear logos) that's all.

2- Sorry, but I don't think that's a good design approach. I mean, why let BigBox be in control and force clear logos for playlists? Isn't that the job for theme creators in the end anyway? I'm sure they will not use the default clear logos, as I've seen from using many BigBox themes.
Actually, this design approach is crippling some new ways and new ideas to make new and different themes like what is the OP is trying to do with his 4K theme which I really liked. And hopefully use it on my TV as well.

3- What I'm trying to say is let us in control to choose what we want to create when it comes to themes. Not BigBox. It should not force anything that cannot be hidden or disabled. It's a win-win for everyone in the end and it will spark some new ideas for BigBox. That's what's called a great design approach IMHO.

Edited by eric77
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, eric77 said:

1- I want a big text wheel to use on big TV screen like the OP mentioned. And I think an animated text will look great for that (it's like all the other 4 wheels, but without forced clear logos) that's all.

2- Sorry, but I don't think that's a good design approach. I mean, why let BigBox be in control and force clear logos for playlists? Isn't that the job for theme creators in the end anyway? I'm sure they will not use the default clear logos, as I've seen from using many BigBox themes.
Actually, this design approach is crippling some new ways and new ideas to make new and different themes like what is the OP is trying to do with his 4K theme which I really liked. And hopefully use it on my TV as well.

3- What I'm trying to say is let us in control to choose what we want to create when it comes to themes. Not BigBox. It should not force anything that cannot be hidden or disabled. It's a win-win for everyone in the end and it will spark some new ideas for BigBox. That's what's called a great design approach IMHO.

1. The option I suggest would do this without breaking any current features
2. Themes can already utilize their own unique clear logos rendering this point moot
3. Again themes have full control over which clear logo to display and the ones you are seeing only occur when the item in question has no options in a view that is designed solely for clear logos, this feature is to help people that are new be able to utilize the views as designed (with clear logos) with minimal interaction and time investment overhead (something we feel is a great design approach)

The work around I offered provides all the options you are asking for. If you are interested in having an option to NOT use the fallback logos the best approach to get this resolved is to create a BitBucket ticket so we can see how much of our community shares your views on the matter so that we can properly place it in the priority list.

1- Not all users are savvy enough or have the time to do this when they have many playlists. It's not just about me, but about anyone who like a simple yet a good looking playlists. Thus an option is needed.

2- Not a moot point when it comes to unique new theme ideas like what the OP is trying to do.

3- It's just an option which is enabled by default "thus still help new users to utilize all BigBox features" and still give control to new and expert users whom wants it to be disabled for certain scenarios like this one. I think this is a better design approach IMHO.

I don't see why an "enable/ disable" option which is enabled by default (Clear logos are enabled) to be that hard to implement by the developers. I think they are awesome based on what I see from all the new features and enhancements they bring with every release. I don't think they are lazy or something. lol ?

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, eric77 said:

1- Not all users are savvy enough or have the time to do this when they have many playlists. It's not just about me, but about anyone who like a simple yet a good looking playlists. Thus an option is needed.

2- Not a moot point when it comes to unique new theme ideas like what the OP is trying to do.

3- It's just an option which is enabled by default "thus still help new users to utilize all BigBox features" and still give control to new and expert users whom wants it to be disabled for certain scenarios like this one. I think this is a better design approach IMHO.

I don't see why an "enable/ disable" option which is enabled by default (Clear logos are enabled) to be that hard to implement by the developers. I think they are awesome based on what I see from all the new features and enhancements they bring with every release. I don't think they are lazy or something. lol ?

Just an FYI C-Beats is one of our 2 developers. You have been given credible feedback from him how you can achieve this niche look. Lets be honest it is niche given the fact only 3 users to date have wanted a look like this. Not discounting your request but putting it into perspective. This is one of the reasons  the developer has asked you to submit a BitBucket request so they can gauge if in fact more users would want to see this. Sometimes is it not about if something is hard or easy, but with a 1 or 2 man team you need to prioritize what is worked on.

To submit a ticket use the link at the top of the forum under "Help & Support". There you will find a "Request a Feature" link to our BitBucket site.

• Thanks 1

Wait! You say Launchbox/ BigBox is made by 2 developers currently?! What a great developers they are IMHO! I got the whole picture now.
Sure and fair enough. I will submit about this on BitBucket site when I have the time. Thanks for pointing me to the link and Best wishes and merry Christmas to the amazing developers and Mods.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello, the request is resolved on BitBucket!:

Is it possible to do a simple tutorial for this using the "Default theme folder" (since it's the one I'm using to build the new theme)
I mean, which XAML file(s) and which line(s) to edit?
I'm sorry, but I'm still a novice in XAML stuff. A complete edited file(s) from the "Default theme folder" will be greatly appreciated if possible :)
Many Thanks in advance for all the help and support!
Edited by kevin.k

8 minutes ago, kevin.k said:
Hello, the request is resolved on BitBucket! , Is it possible to do a simple tutorial for this using the "Default theme folder" (since it's the one I'm using to build the new theme)
I mean, which XAML file(s) and which line(s) to edit?
I'm sorry, but I'm still a novice in XAML stuff. A complete edited file(s) from the "Default theme folder" will be greatly appreciated if possible :)
Many Thanks in advance for all the help!

Doubtful anyone will write a tutorial. Best thing I can recommend is posting in our Xaml Tips & Tricks thread and see if any of the theme developers that post there can offer advice. Also, in case you were not aware, you cannot edit the default theme in its own folder. You have to copy the default theme and name it anything you want. Then you can edit that version. The default theme if edited directly will always revert to its default coding to ensure LB/BB always has a working theme.

Hello Retro808,
Yes, I know about the default theme Anti-tamper protection stuff. I made a copy of it with a unique name and I edit this new unique name copy when I want to make changes to the theme.
I wish anyone can post a simple, short guide here or upload an edited file(s) regarding hiding the Playlist Clear logos. I still have hope :)

• Like 1

Right now there is a bug in current build that would make your navigation wonky so would be best to wait until final release which hopefully will be out very early next week. That being said to achieve what you want you would alter PlatformWheel1FiltersView.xaml (or whichever view you prefer). Look for the coverFlow:Flowcontrol tag. Remove CoverFactory and ImageType properties. Add properties Columns (set to 1) and Endless (set to true). Add a FlowTemplate (see WallGamesView.xaml, or the theme documentation) and make the only control between the FlowContext tags be a single Textblock with the Text property binding of "{Binding Name}". Make sure you set a foreground color that would be visible for your theme as well.

• Like 2

Hello C-Beats,

Thank you so much for all the help good Sir.
Unfortunately, no matter what I do, it didn't work or I get errors :(

Is it OK if uploaded the file for you when the final release comes out and edit it for me when you have spare time please?
My request is just a simple plain white colored text instead of clear logo (take all the time you want, of course. I can wait even for weeks after the final release)
Please help a noob and Best Regards!