LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox on XBOX Series S?

natemac00

Launchbox is not a UWP app, so its not possible. As MVG clearly points out in the video he is using Retroarch which has a UWP app for the original XBOX ONE, which is whats being used here, in backwards compatibility mode so you dont have full access to the extra power of the systems in that mode.. This is not new information as its been possible since 2013.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2020 at 5:59 AM, neil9000 said:

Launchbox is not a UWP app, so its not possible. As MVG clearly points out in the video he is using Retroarch which has a UWP app for the original XBOX ONE, which is whats being used here, in backwards compatibility mode so you dont have full access to the extra power of the systems in that mode.. This is not new information as its been possible since 2013.

This is completely irrelevant. He is saying if we had a UWP port then it would be great. What exactly are you talking about?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 2:59 AM, neil9000 said:

Well im saying we do not have a UWP app so Launchbox on the XBOX isnt possible, quite simple to understand i feel.

He knows there is no UWP app, it's obvious. What he's saying is it'd be great if someone would get behind the emulator scene on XBOX and create a UWP app for those using it for emulators. It is probably the best hardware to run something like Launchbox on right now.

The truth of the matter is though that there isn't most likely going to be a UWP version because there is no way to monetize it. So while any of you are free to create a bitbucket ticket that you can all vote on  I would be shocked if it actually went anywhere.

Yeah, my point here is quite clear, Launchbox doesnt and most likely will never have a UWP version, so the discussion about running Launchbox on the XBOX is completely moot. If you want to run emulators on it you have Retroarch, and maybe someone will come along and make a frontend for it at some point in time, but thats more a discussion for a general emulation or XBOX modding forum, not one dedicate to a app that could never run on the XBOX.

It should be more likely that we get behind the emulation community when it gets access to hardware that can improve performance. It's sad to read that it's more about monetisation than preservation around here. Thanks for attempting to kill the discussion multiple times though. Truth is if the community moves over to using xbox for emulation, those who make front ends will do the same. If not you because there's no money in it, then someone else. 

Launchbox is a commercial product and nothing to do with preservation, preservation is for the emulator devs and rom archivers.

Any notion that the XBox is "the best hardware" or that the community is moving over to it for emulation is just laughable. It's nothing more than a novelty and something for YouTubers to make videos about. The PC will remain the leading emulation platform for quite some time to come because it is by far the most flexible and open platform, not to mention the most powerful for newer and more accurate emulators.

At the end of the day Jason needs to make money to provide for his family not make a frontend for a platform only a small handful of people will ever use. Hell, there's more of an argument to be made for a Linux version of Launchbox but that too does not have enough people to make it a viable business decision at this time. This may or may not change in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

No, In simple words, you cant play launchbox on xbox. And dont think that would ever be possible since we are talking about microsoft and how much of a cheapskate they are. Ik if launchbox was on xbox you can play games easily cause many games need a good pc/laptop, but sadly it will never be possible

• 1 year later...

No launchbox but there is a frontends for Xbox One and Series Consoles that uses launchbox meta data but they do not have a scrapper, one is RetroPass retropassdev/RetroPass: Retro Pass is a simple frontend for RetroArch, RetriX Gold, Dolphin, XBSX2 and Xenia Canary running on Xbox. (github.com) thats in the style of GamePass and the other is a fork i have been working on with 2 others called LaunchPass Misunderstood-Wookiee/LaunchPass: Retro Pass Fork with additional features. (github.com) which is the same with more customization but not quite finished just yet. By the way Xbox Series Consoles can run retroarch, dolphin, xenia, ppsspp, flycast and retrix gold all very well with all ports getting pretty frequent updates and the community is getting quite large now in the discord there is 320000 members and growing, LaunchBox and BigBox would be great on xbox and many people would probably get bigbox, i did and im mainly a xbox user

Edited by danp142
More info

On 4/10/2023 at 5:58 AM, danp142 said:

No launchbox but there is a frontends for Xbox One and Series Consoles that uses launchbox meta data but they do not have a scrapper, one is RetroPass retropassdev/RetroPass: Retro Pass is a simple frontend for RetroArch, RetriX Gold, Dolphin, XBSX2 and Xenia Canary running on Xbox. (github.com) thats in the style of GamePass and the other is a fork i have been working on with 2 others called LaunchPass Misunderstood-Wookiee/LaunchPass: Retro Pass Fork with additional features. (github.com) which is the same with more customization but not quite finished just yet. By the way Xbox Series Consoles can run retroarch, dolphin, xenia, ppsspp, flycast and retrix gold all very well with all ports getting pretty frequent updates and the community is getting quite large now in the discord there is 320000 members and growing, LaunchBox and BigBox would be great on xbox and many people would probably get bigbox, i did and im mainly a xbox user

You're 100% right, but unfortunately there's no point discussing any of the positive sides of the community here. "This is a commercial product" is all that gets parroted around these forums, shutting down any discussion about exciting possibilities. To these guys, it's  350,000 people enjoying a "novelty", even though it's dollar for dollar the best value emulation hardware on the market, and has been for 3 years now, haha. 

1 hour ago, NOMAD0P said:

You're 100% right, but unfortunately there's no point discussing any of the positive sides of the community here. "This is a commercial product" is all that gets parroted around these forums, shutting down any discussion about exciting possibilities. To these guys, it's  350,000 people enjoying a "novelty", even though it's dollar for dollar the best value emulation hardware on the market, and has been for 3 years now, haha. 

It's always cool to hear where potential interest may lie for our product to expand into. Unfortunately a lot of the desired platforms require a complete re-write to develop to as far as I'm aware so wouldn't be something we can quickly hop on and get done, but it's always nice to know what options are available. I personally would never have even thought to look into emulation on modern consoles. I've not owned any since the Xbox 360 and so not real sure what is going on in that space anymore.

20 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

It's always cool to hear where potential interest may lie for our product to expand into. Unfortunately a lot of the desired platforms require a complete re-write to develop to as far as I'm aware so wouldn't be something we can quickly hop on and get done, but it's always nice to know what options are available. I personally would never have even thought to look into emulation on modern consoles. I've not owned any since the Xbox 360 and so not real sure what is going on in that space anymore.

Well for one thing Microsoft took a step towards removing some of the ease in emulation on the Xbox Series consoles. Originally Xbox system set to Dev Mode (getting Dev Mode is a pretty simple process) could run emulators, then it was allowed on system still in normal "Retail Mode". As of a few days ago Microsoft has blocked retail mode machines from running emulators. The apps no longer work. So who knows how long before they do the same for the consoles when run in Dev Mode. Pretty sure if they so desire they can prevent it.