LaunchBox Community Forums

$50 Bounty - Starting amount - Image and video web search

I know many of us have chatted about using bounties to see the features we want implemented. Well, I'm hoping someone bites.

I would love a media search (google images / Youtube videos) plugin that would help fill the holes in my database.

I've created a rough mock-up below of what it could like and the functionality it would have. 

Even if we could only get the "Image" part working - it would improve my workflow tremendously.

I'm sure I overlooked and missed important details - no doubt the community will be quick to point them out.

I am 100% willing to pay in advance and not concerned about the aesthetics of the plug-in / just functionality. I am happy with the honor system (I've been a long-time user and have contributed in different ways whenever I could)

If anyone is interested in chipping in just comment below / If anyone has feedback  just comment below / 

MOST IMPORTANTLY - if anyone is interested in creating this - PLEASE LET ME KNOW!.

Mock Up.png

• 1 month later...

Na no other suggestions yet.

I'll maybe look into it from around Tuesday or so, but it'll take me quite a while and i cant make any promises as Im not a developer, just like to mess around.

Google search may have quotas etc so may be easier to use a third party like Vidsnap Scraper does.

Ill be in touch.

I made a pos plugin some time a go. It was called missing media tool. I was going to improve upon it but never did complete it. I couldnt find any search api's that didnt require an api key or didnt charge for going over a quota... but anyway I started the design:

Untitled.thumb.png.0930f06791ebf6709c796dfe53bc4adb.png

At first I used a winforms webbrowser but its outdated, could get images from google search but couldnt really do much else with it. Then I tried cefsharps chromium, it works well but I dont know if its safe to browse the net with it, dont know what the security is like. Also the biggest problem was adverts, no ublock origin meant im not using it.

What I was going to do instead... where you see the black space in the image above, I was going to make that space transparent so to be able to click the mouse through it. Place my browser (chrome or firefox or whatever) in that black space. It would look something like this:

Untitled2.thumb.png.a231458fce1e9daca12b1fc5f6560d6d.png

Using this method I wouldnt have to worry about updating the webbrowser, I could play on the net etc etc, keep Ublock goodness and click back and forth between the plugin and chrome. Where you see the "Search" button, all it would do is copy your search term to clipboard, then you would right click your browsers address bar and paste the search term. When you found an image just copy the images link to clipboard and in the plugin window press the "Get" button to grab the link from clipboard and use webclient to download the image straight into Launchbox directory.

Im just not finding the time to continue coding the things I start so I doubt this will be completed. The point of this post was to give my suggestion on a way to achieve this without relying on api's. If anyone wants to attempt my suggestion it's pretty simple to create a search string for google:

Say I wanted to do a meta data search for "Nintendo Entertainment System Super Mario 3 Publisher" your string would look like: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nintendo+Entertainment+System+Super+Mario+3+Publisher

Or if you want to do an image search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nintendo+Entertainment+System+Super+Mario+3+Front+Cover&tbm=isch&site=imghp

You can also use the same method for bing and youtube... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 10:13 AM, Mr.Laor said:

I know many of us have chatted about using bounties to see the features we want implemented. Well, I'm hoping someone bites.

I would love a media search (google images / Youtube videos) plugin that would help fill the holes in my database.

I've created a rough mock-up below of what it could like and the functionality it would have. 

Even if we could only get the "Image" part working - it would improve my workflow tremendously.

I'm sure I overlooked and missed important details - no doubt the community will be quick to point them out.

I am 100% willing to pay in advance and not concerned about the aesthetics of the plug-in / just functionality. I am happy with the honor system (I've been a long-time user and have contributed in different ways whenever I could)

If anyone is interested in chipping in just comment below / If anyone has feedback  just comment below / 

MOST IMPORTANTLY - if anyone is interested in creating this - PLEASE LET ME KNOW!.

Mock Up.png

Have you tried https://www.skraper.net/

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

We do not recommend skraper at all, in fact we discourage people from using it, it has a nasty habit of borking peoples xml files.

Agreed. It has done that to mine.

So What I do is backup my data folder, run it, have it put all images to directories independent of Launchbox and then copy the data folder back.

After that I'll just go sift through everything it's scraped and add in what I like.

So no, it's not real fast. But if you're cool amassing a bunch of images and going through them, it works.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm playing around implementing something for this.

I'll be using the right click menu plugin system "Web search image(s)", a form window will display showing one of the selected/searched games at a time with some basic info (platform, title). A search on google images will automatically run - showing the search bar for tweaking the search criteria if needed. A drop down will allow selecting the target image type (front cover, back cover etc.). Clicking a google result will show a larger preview of the image with an 'Assign' button.

Pressing 'Assign' will download and save/attach the image to the Launchbox game db.

On assign, the window will move to the next game and repeat the search.

A shortcut will be to double click to assign instead of seeing the preview first.

One 'limitation' will be that user will have to generate a google search api key and enter it into the plugin settings.

I'll release the full source as we go.

I've not done anything for money before, but I'll look into setting up like a voluntary paypal dontate button or something if anyone feels strongly enough about it to give some support.