LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

24 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm guessing that's probably the explanation. Do you have platform categories specified in your desktop platform metadata?

My platforms are all located in categories, under parents in edit platform it shoes f.ex. the category. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

27 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

My platforms are all located in categories, under parents in edit platform it shoes f.ex. the category. 

Okay, I'll have to look to see if those categories are exported when using the Android export. It's possible (and probably most likely) that they didn't used to be but are now.

28 minutes ago, Gustavo Oliva said:

Galaxy S20 FE (Snapdragon), Android 12

That is especially odd because we have that same device for testing. I'll see if there's any way we can replicate it. It might be worth restarting the device to see if it's some kind of fluke with the OS.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, I'll have to look to see if those categories are exported when using the Android export. It's possible (and probably most likely) that they didn't used to be but are now.

Ok great, I did that on version 1.3 I think. Meanwhile I do it manually, no big deal. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

That is especially odd because we have that same device for testing. I'll see if there's any way we can replicate it. It might be worth restarting the device to see if it's some kind of fluke with the OS.

I did a full reinstall. It was working at first and seemed to stop working after I tweaked things to my liking. If I recall correctly, it actually crashed for the first time once I manually deleted the "Android games" banner. I'll see if I can replicate it later on as well.

Screenshot_20221215-140358.jpg

Screenshot_20221215-140351.jpg

• Like 1

A bulk edit would also be nice. As of now, genres get a bit mixed up, f.ex. many sports games have specific genres like Sports/Soccer, Sports/Golf, Sports/Tennis aso. LaunchBox puts them in different genre categories but they obviously don't have a nice banner. So you need to edit game by game's metadata and just change it to Sports in general to have it put into the sports genre category.

If I could just click on the genre category directly and edit the metadata straight away from there (in bulk), you wouldn't need to edit every single game one by one. 

But at the moment when you long click on the genre category you only get options: Show Games, Filter and Edit Media. An Edit Metadata would be very useful here. 

@Gustavo Oliva Thanks for you help testing that stuff. Let me know if you do figure it out in more detail. Otherwise, we'll see if we can't reproduce it.

2 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

A bulk edit would also be nice. As of now, genres get a bit mixed up, f.ex. many sports games have specific genres like Sports/Soccer, Sports/Golf, Sports/Tennis aso. LaunchBox puts them in different genre categories but they obviously don't have a nice banner. So you need to edit game by game's metadata and just change it to Sports in general to have it put into the sports genre category.

Are you referring to Arcade for those? If so, we basically just fixed that with this release with the new arcade filters features.

If I could just click on the genre category directly and edit the metadata straight away from there (in bulk), you wouldn't need to edit every single game one by one. 

That is a good idea.

But at the moment when you long click on the genre category you only get options: Show Games, Filter and Edit Media. An Edit Metadata would be very useful here. 

Yeah, I like that approach. Hopefully we can add something like that in here soon enough.

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Are you referring to Arcade for those? If so, we basically just fixed that with this release with the new arcade filters features.

No not necessarily, I just checked f.ex. Nintendo DS, and I have the same there. If it would only look after the first word, like Sports, and then put it in the Sports genre category. I don't f.ex. use the override arcade filters function, gives me too many genre categories.

Shooters also have many different genres added, Shooter / Flying, Shooter / Walking, Shooter / Horizontal, Shooter / Vertical...

If the search would just consider to pull the first word Shooter, then put it in the Shooter genre category, no need to make another Shooter genre category. I mean I would like that, don't know if perhaps other people prefer many more Shooter genre categories, but like I mentioned, there would be many more banners per genre category to be created because at the moment it doesn't look nice as there's just an empty black box. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

Those genre values aren't something you got standard from LaunchBox games database and is why we don't have banners for them. You would need to create banner images for those custom genre values and then assign them to that filter.

But where would I get those values from otherwise if only importing via LaunchBox? It's the only software I use for importing ROMs. 

I know that there are no banner images and I'm also not asking for them as I don't need them, I just want the games to be scraped as simple genre category like Shooter instead of those multiple different Shooter genre categories. 

That's why I thought if it is possible to omit everything that comes after Shooter / it would work as then everything would just go into a main Shooter genre category instead of creating all those others. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

1 hour ago, DeadVoivod said:

But where would I get those values from otherwise if only importing via LaunchBox? It's the only software I use for importing ROMs. 

I know that there are no banner images and I'm also not asking for them as I don't need them, I just want the games to be scraped as simple genre category like Shooter instead of those multiple different Shooter genre categories. 

That's why I thought if it is possible to omit everything that comes after Shooter / it would work as then everything would just go into a main Shooter genre category instead of creating all those others. 

That is definitely confusing. Those genres look like MAME genres that come from the MAME metadata, so maybe that is a clue?

Typically when we see those type of genre values in the user's data it is because the user ran Skraper and let it assign metadata for you.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:06 AM, Gustavo Oliva said:

I did a full reinstall. It was working at first and seemed to stop working after I tweaked things to my liking. If I recall correctly, it actually crashed for the first time once I manually deleted the "Android games" banner. I'll see if I can replicate it later on as well.

Screenshot_20221215-140358.jpg

Screenshot_20221215-140351.jpg

Thanks for the details. How did you manually delete that Android games banner? Did you just delete it in the file system?

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

Typically when we see those type of genre values in the user's data it is because the user ran Skraper and let it assign metadata for you.

Ok, I don't use Skraper. But eventually if I manually edit a game that doesn't have a genre and it's f.ex. a tennis game, I put Sports/Tennis, as there's no genre just Tennis. If I would have known that later on I would run into issues, I would have just put it into the Sports genre. 

4 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

So not sure the reason you asked this then if you're admitting you're the one that manually put that value in there in the first place.

Just put out LaunchBox for Android 1.8 with a few fixes:

• Fixed an issue where platform categories were not always being populated after games were exported from the desktop app

• Fixed a rare potential error with grid view column sizing

• Fixed an issue where the Arcade platform could not be directly edited when it's the only platform in the Arcade platform category (and thus is skipped during navigation)

• Like 1