LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, bmiller83 said:

I have the R58X Android box and ran into a issue where 1.8  won't load the Arcade interface on first boot so I went back to 1.7 and everything is working. 1.8 works fine on my Samsung Galaxy tab S8+ and Ayn Odin Pro 

20221217_100407.jpg

Any chance you're running out of space on the R58X?

On 12/16/2022 at 8:52 PM, C-Beats said:

So not sure the reason you asked this then if you're admitting you're the one that manually put that value in there in the first place.

Why are there then even the options to do so? Thought if I put Sports/Soccer it will still be recognized as a sports game. 

5 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

Why are there then even the options to do so? Thought if I put Sports/Soccer it will still be recognized as a sports game. 

Because LaunchBox is a premium, fully featured frontend that allows you to customize your metadata however you want? That filter lists all genre's, not just values we have in our DB. We can't possibly be expected to provide images for every possible permutation of genre's our users think to use though, which is why we instead built ways for you to customize your UI to meet your needs. If you want that genre keep it, you just need to assign a new banner to it should you want to use it that way.

I personally have a build I've been working on where I've been categorizing all my games into Genre / Subgenre like that so I understand the desire. Just isn't the typical app workflow and so you'll need to provide custom art for your custom metadata depending on which view you are trying to utilize.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 10:35 AM, bmiller83 said:

@Jason Carr no I have over 20GBs left in internal storage. My Launchbox folder is stored on my 4tb portable. I uninstalled 1.8 and went back to 1.7 and loaded my license and everything is fine. I did a fresh install of 1.8 and still got the same error 

Okay, thanks for the update, and sorry for the late reply. I'm guessing that this issue must somehow be specific to that R58X device. I wish I had better news for you. I'm not sure if we'll be able to fix it without having the device on hand.

It appears that for whatever reason, it's having trouble writing to the LaunchBox folder, which makes sense since it's on a portable drive. Unfortunately some of the lesser-known vendors have very buggy code in for file permissions on Android 12, especially with external devices. It may help to put the large ROM files on the external device, while keeping the LaunchBox folder on internal storage.

Hello, I've been running into issues with the launchbox DB not pulling 1:1 in the android interface. Mostly this applies to rom hacks, the games won't pull in all the media that's on the DB page for that specific game so i've had to go in and manually import the media myself and apply them to each rom hack. Any idea what might be causing this? I've also come across a few games that are in the DB but aren't being pulled into the android app using the metadata matching the DB entry. 2 examples would be Kirby's Halloween adventure for NES and Final Fantasy 6: Return of the dark sorcerer for SNES (this one is listed as Return of the dark sorcerer in the DB but I've already submitted a change request on that one). Is there something about the way these rom hacks are keyed into the database that is preventing the android app from seeing them?

edit: interestingly I was able to get these 2 to match this evening, possibly was just an issue with the db last night?

Edited by commandernojj

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hazelly Mores said:

So if you hadn't already bought it, there is now no way to access the beta? I would love to beta test this and provide comments because I adore the PC version, but I never bought it while it was available on the Play Store.

Android is free for 100 games or less and you can opt into the beta on the free version.

2 hours ago, Vader said:

@Jason Carr. Can you please check my license file for me. I tried to import it into a new device and it said an error occurred.  Here is my license 

Your license was a out of date yearly one, and i assume you were trying to use it with a current version of the emulator, so that wont work. Also was it actually a Android license you were trying to add, or was it your Windows one, as that wont work either as they are sepperate licenses.

7 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Your license was a out of date yearly one, and i assume you were trying to use it with a current version of the emulator, so that wont work. Also was it actually a Android license you were trying to add, or was it your Windows one, as that wont work either as they are sepperate licenses.

Thanks for your help. I figured out the issue. My license had expired. I just renewed it and all is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

i downloade and installed launbox for android on my samsung galaxy s9 plus.  How do i actiavte themes? all I see is a list of platforms.  I downloaded a few themes and placed them in the themes folder but I still dont see any option to activate themes.

20 hours ago, tallpr24 said:

Hello,

i downloade and installed launbox for android on my samsung galaxy s9 plus.  How do i actiavte themes? all I see is a list of platforms.  I downloaded a few themes and placed them in the themes folder but I still dont see any option to activate themes.

Themes can now be downloaded from within the app itself using the Theme Manager. Here's more info about it:

If you mean Platform videos, here's a video about them: