LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@TechBoi Did you download those images in a previous version, or the latest version of LaunchBox for Android? I have fixed some related issues like that in previous versions, so it would be best to delete the platform and the media and re-import/download it. I'm guessing that will fix that issue.

They were screen shots from Version 0.41

@TechBoi Did you download those images in a previous version, or the latest version of LaunchBox for Android? I have fixed some related issues like that in previous versions, so it would be best to delete the platform and the media and re-import/download it. I'm guessing that will fix that issue.

@Jason CarrI tried several times clearing app cache, deleting app, redownloading and importing same result. Seems to be only affecting the wheel view option. I'm using the official no-intro set, and that naming convention. 

Edited by TechBoi

1 hour ago, C0ntrA said:

Of course! That's why we are here, because Jason and the Launchbox team are developing a premium front end, and we are providing feedback to hopefully help assist in its success!

It's my primary Front End even now, for good reason. It's clean, versatile, and looks amazing as an Android TV setup (my individual use).

@C0ntrA @Jason Carr

AMEN to that!! 

I am currently working on getting launchbox running on an ONN streaming device. Not an easy task, but preliminarly I got it working.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:31 PM, TechBoi said:

@Jason CarrI tried several times clearing app cache, deleting app, redownloading and importing same result. Seems to be only affecting the wheel view option. I'm using the official no-intro set, and that naming convention. 

It seems like your "Region to Prioritize" setting might be set to something other than "North America". I just tested a fresh install, imported NES, and I do not get any of the incorrect images from your screenshot. That setting is available when you perform imports, and when you force download missing images. It's then saved to the platform so that any background downloads use the same settings.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that the previous images are not getting fully deleted in your testing.

0.42-beta-2 is out now with the following:

• Reduced the potential for crashes related to misbehaving game controllers

• Added support for FPse64

We're planning to finally release the 0.42 official release early next week. Please let us know if you run into any issues with this beta, as it will be a release candidate for the 0.42 official release.

• Thanks 1

It seems like your "Region to Prioritize" setting might be set to something other than "North America". I just tested a fresh install, imported NES, and I do not get any of the incorrect images from your screenshot. That setting is available when you perform imports, and when you force download missing images. It's then saved to the platform so that any background downloads use the same settings.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that the previous images are not getting fully deleted in your testing.

Definitely not the region to prioritize. Always have this set to North America. How would you suggest I wipe out my library on LaunchBox and restart with a clean slate? Just clear and delete storage cache, uninstall app, re-download and re-import games? Pretty sure I've tried this already and I have another friend on a different android device experiencing the same thing both of us it's only effecting the wheel view. 

13 hours ago, TechBoi said:

Definitely not the region to prioritize. Always have this set to North America. How would you suggest I wipe out my library on LaunchBox and restart with a clean slate? Just clear and delete storage cache, uninstall app, re-download and re-import games? Pretty sure I've tried this already and I have another friend on a different android device experiencing the same thing both of us it's only effecting the wheel view. 

The only important thing is just making sure that you remove all of the images and the data files. You can do that manually through a file browser if you want.

56 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The only important thing is just making sure that you remove all of the images and the data files. You can do that manually through a file browser if you want.

Right but what is the file path to get to this folder? 

15 hours ago, TechBoi said:

Excuse my ignorance as I haven't read the entire thread...

But it sounds to me like you have other rom versions in your set (other regions).

I assume this because I recently scanned all of my snes roms (NA/USA) and everything looked correct. I then scanned my super famicom roms under snes (since we don't have a famicom section) and the process seems to have altered "some" of the NA titles to japanese...(I assume that perhaps I had japanese versions of those NA games and because I scanned following NA, the japanese titles had overwritten the NA ones where applicable because it was scanned more recently (after snes).

Not a huge deal really, but hopefully it's in the agenda to add categories for the "funky stuff" like famicom etc. Or another solution could be to allow a user to select which version of a title in their library to show under the wheel.

I assume your friend tried with the exact same rom set as you?

Side note: Why no scummV yet?

Edited by C0ntrA

1 hour ago, C0ntrA said:

Excuse my ignorance as I haven't read the entire thread...

But it sounds to me like you have other rom versions in your set (other regions).

I assume this because I recently scanned all of my snes roms (NA/USA) and everything looked correct. I then scanned my super famicom roms under snes (since we don't have a famicom section) and the process seems to have altered "some" of the NA titles to japanese...(I assume that perhaps I had japanese versions of those NA games and because I scanned following NA, the japanese titles had overwritten the NA ones where applicable because it was scanned more recently (after snes).

Not a huge deal really, but hopefully it's in the agenda to add categories for the "funky stuff" like famicom etc. Or another solution could be to allow a user to select which version of a title in their library to show under the wheel.

I assume your friend tried with the exact same rom set as you?

Side note: Why no scummV yet?

Yes he did but the rom sets are official no-intro rom sets with NA Region only set. 🤷🏻‍♂️

20 minutes ago, TechBoi said:

Yes he did but the rom sets are official no-intro rom sets with NA Region only set. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Did you check all your roms in question via your storage drive? There are no additional characters following their names such as "j/eu" etc? I would think that you could simply rename the ones that aren't correctly identified in Launchbox.

Again...I haven't read the entire thread, so I am not sure if you had done this already.

I mean, just because a downloaded set states NA only, doesn't mean it won't have its potential issues.

Edited by C0ntrA

23 minutes ago, C0ntrA said:

Did you check all your roms in question via your storage drive? There are no additional characters following their names such as "j/eu" etc? I would think that you could simply rename the ones that aren't correctly identified in Launchbox.

Again...I haven't read the entire thread, so I am not sure if you had done this already.

I mean, just because a downloaded set states NA only, doesn't mean it won't have its potential issues.

Nah I hear ya. So what should the file names look like? Just the title name or should I see anything else? 

1 minute ago, TechBoi said:

Nah I hear ya. So what should the file names look like? Just the title name or should I see anything else? 

Could be variable depending on the system being emulated etc. But the basics to look for would be the title for the game/file name, and an example of that would be something like say...Super Nintendo for example. So let's say you just downloaded Super Mario World (of course because you own it *cough*), the file would look something like SMW.sfc ,SuperMarioW.sfc, or SuperMarioWorld(USA).sfc...etc etc, looks clean and such right? Yes.

But you could find one like SuperMarioWorld(J).sfc...Now that would be the japanese version and Launchbox will identify it with the japanese super famicom title and boxart; the game itself will also of course be the japanese version when played.

Anyway, to test this. Find one of your problem games in Launchbox, then exit and try to find that rom in your storage, now look at the file name. If you notice something like what I had posted above, you should be able to "rename" that file so that Launchbox will see it as the region of your preference.

Sounds like you are newer to this scene, as far as front ends and emulation goes. I am as well! Sure I have played with emulators back when they were a new thing, but it's not until you try to make things pretty (ie front ends) that your journey for emulation expertise starts!

I have only been at it for about a month now, and due to my frustrations with other less than user friendly front ends, I have obtained a lot of learned knowledge along the way, as will you.

Welcome to another hobby :D