LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

23 minutes ago, TechBoi said:

Nah I hear ya. So what should the file names look like? Just the title name or should I see anything else? 

Region, or any other data other than the actual game name, should always be inside parenthesis, so for example Actraiser (USA) will be seen as Actraiser, and the USA as it was bracketed, is absorbed and logged, but removed from the UI itself. A game called Actraiser (USA) jp would be very different, as the jp would be included in the actual game name, and could confuse the scraper, and metadata as to the region.

It's also of course possible that none of this is the problem and it may be a issue, just wanted to point out naming is very important.

5 minutes ago, C0ntrA said:

Could be variable depending on the system being emulated etc. But the basics to look for would be the title for the game/file name, and an example of that would be something like say...Super Nintendo for example. So let's say you just downloaded Super Mario World (of course because you own it *cough*), the file would look something like SMW.sfc ,SuperMarioW.sfc, or SuperMarioWorld(USA).sfc...etc etc, looks clean and such right? Yes.

But you could find one like SuperMarioWorld(J).sfc...Now that would be the japanese version and Launchbox will identify it with the japanese super famicom title and boxart; the game itself will also of course be the japanese version when played.

Anyway, to test this. Find one of your problem games in Launchbox, then exit and try to find that rom in your storage, now look at the file name. If you notice something like what I had posted above, you should be able to "rename" that file so that Launchbox will see it as the region of your preference.

Sounds like you are newer to this scene, as far as front ends and emulation goes. I am as well! Sure I have played with emulators back when they were a new thing, but it's not until you try to make things pretty (ie front ends) that your journey for emulation expertise starts!

I have only been at it for about a month now, and due to my frustrations with other less than user friendly front ends, I have obtained a lot of learned knowledge along the way, as will you.

Welcome to another hobby :D

Nah I'm not new to the scene but launch boxes scraping metadata is kind of retarded so what it was is I had multiple regions in the file name and it's like launch boxes scraper only wanted to see either the US or no region in the title name at all.  

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Region, or any other data other than the actual game name, should always be inside parenthesis, so for example Actraiser (USA) will be seen as Actraiser, and the USA as it was bracketed, is absorbed and logged, but removed from the UI itself. A game called Actraiser (USA) jp would be very different, as the jp would be included in the actual game name, and could confuse the scraper, and metadata as to the region.

It's also of course possible that none of this is the problem and it may be a issue, just wanted to point out naming is very important.

But so what if the file is the world version and may have multiple regions listed in the file name? What does launch box scraper choose then?

If I told your scraper that I want to scrape only North America it should be smart enough to know that even though my file has multiple regions that I've chosen North America as my default naming scheme.

Edited by TechBoi

24 minutes ago, TechBoi said:

So why does retroarch have no problem with this file naming format and it only affects the wheel View in lb?

LB Android is being developed again, still work to be done, and that's the point of this thread :)

Glad you got it figured out though!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TechBoi said:

So why does retroarch have no problem with this file naming format and it only affects the wheel View in lb?

Retroarch works differently, and is no less prown to errors. They both have strengths and weaknesses. They went there way, we went ours.

I would love to be able to duplicate systems.

Basically I want a SNES Hacks system separate from my main SNES one. Also would love a Mega Drive and Famicom VS. Genesis and NES. I've got a lot of translations that I like to keep seperated. 

Is this on the roadmap?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nabizzles said:

Basically I want a SNES Hacks system separate from my main SNES one. Also would love a Mega Drive and Famicom VS. Genesis and NES. I've got a lot of translations that I like to keep seperated. 

Is this on the roadmap?

^agreed

22 hours ago, TechBoi said:

If I told your scraper that I want to scrape only North America it should be smart enough to know that even though my file has multiple regions that I've chosen North America as my default naming scheme.

Where are you downloading ROMs with badly formatted names? There really should only be one type of ROM set that anyone should be downloading these days: No-Intro sets (at least for cartridge based systems). You can get them easily from archive.org. What set are you using?

3 hours ago, Nabizzles said:

Is this on the roadmap?

Yup, we'll definitely be adding support for all of that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Where are you downloading ROMs with badly formatted names? There really should only be one type of ROM set that anyone should be downloading these days: No-Intro sets (at least for cartridge based systems). You can get them easily from archive.org. What set are you using?

Official No-Intro Roms Set from archive.org

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Why would it only effect launch box wheel view and not the others though?

@TechBoi I ran another test this morning, again completely fresh and imported the entire NES No-Intro set. Once again there were no image discrepancies. Even with the exact examples you gave previously, the current North American images were downloaded. Obviously we need to identify whatever is different between your situation and mine. Can you send me a list of the file names from your No-Intro set?

On 10/25/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jason Carr said:

@TechBoi I ran another test this morning, again completely fresh and imported the entire NES No-Intro set. Once again there were no image discrepancies. Even with the exact examples you gave previously, the current North American images were downloaded. Obviously we need to identify whatever is different between your situation and mine. Can you send me a list of the file names from your No-Intro set?

Can you show me a screenshot of Nintendo Entertainment System specifically titles Kid Icarus, Kung-fu, and Smash T. V.? Smash doesn't retain the Original box art font like all other roms do and then Kid Icarus and Kung-fu will not change from Asian to English Title name font no matter how I edit the title naming scheme. 

Screenshot_20211026-200145.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-200159.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-200205.jpg

On 10/25/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jason Carr said:

Just sent you a couple file naming lists in DM. 

2 hours ago, MattMayatt said:

I bought launbox on Google play in 2019 , how can I get the new android launchbox?

Do I have to pay for it again? 

Cheers.

"If you previously purchased the LaunchBox for Android app from Google Play, and would like to help us beta test the new version of the app, please email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com with the email on the Google account that you used to purchase. We'll be sending out downloads and license keys to users who have previously purchased the app."