LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

9 minutes ago, Just_a_Guy said:

Thanks for that.  But I think from what I read, maybe it's worth the extra money to support them over both platforms.  Who knows, maybe this will kickstart my dream of finally creating that MAME cabinet!!!

Do it! Build the cabinet!!!

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Just_a_Guy Thanks very much for the support. We can definitely still get you a refund though if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer, but I bought a license, no problem.

One small suggestion, I wouldn't leave the IS MAME SET on by default when importing games.  It royally confused the hell out of us when we were trying to import a single game and made for a scrolling nightmare to find it.

Also, is there a search function in the android version?  If not, I'd like to put my vote in for one as it would make it a lot easier to find what we're looking for.

20 hours ago, Just_a_Guy said:

Thanks for the offer, but I bought a license, no problem.

One small suggestion, I wouldn't leave the IS MAME SET on by default when importing games.  It royally confused the hell out of us when we were trying to import a single game and made for a scrolling nightmare to find it.

Also, is there a search function in the android version?  If not, I'd like to put my vote in for one as it would make it a lot easier to find what we're looking for.

There is a search option - I have to press select on joypad and brings up menu at top right of screen. In there is search. 

4 hours ago, Just_a_Guy said:

Ok I lose.  I can't find a search option in the android version if my life depended on it.

So the trick is to get to the three dots menu in the top right when looking at a game list. I have trouble with this using my Android TV remote, but on my connected controller then it is accessed with the select button. 

You can see the three dots in the screenshots on this page https://www.launchbox-app.com/android-about

In that menu is an option for Search. 

4 hours ago, Neil Aubin said:

So the trick is to get to the three dots menu in the top right when looking at a game list. I have trouble with this using my Android TV remote, but on my connected controller then it is accessed with the select button. 

You can see the three dots in the screenshots on this page https://www.launchbox-app.com/android-about

In that menu is an option for Search. 

The only option with the three dots is "LIST VIEW".  I hooked up an android remote so I had free mouse movement and I was finally able to get to the three dots

Edited by Just_a_Guy

2 hours ago, Just_a_Guy said:

The only option with the three dots is "LIST VIEW".

Ok I have just tested this... You do have to be in a list (e.g. Mame, Snes, etc) but no matter whether the format is list, boxes, wheel then I am getting search in the menu. Maybe if you could get a screenshot or picture hosted somewhere then can help further.  

10 hours ago, Neil Aubin said:

Ok I have just tested this... You do have to be in a list (e.g. Mame, Snes, etc) but no matter whether the format is list, boxes, wheel then I am getting search in the menu. Maybe if you could get a screenshot or picture hosted somewhere then can help further.  

I get it now.  Not enough to be in a list, you need to be in a ALL GAMES or SUB GENRE in order to see it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey all, I have LaunchBox for Android 1.0-beta-1 out today with the following:

• Support for gameplay videos has been added! They can be downloaded from EmuMovies via the Download Missing Media option or exported from your desktop collection.

• A new option to enable hardware decoding for VLC video playback is available in the Options screen; however, some devices have stability issues with it, so you may need to turn it back off if you experience crashes

• A new Background Fade option is available in the Wheel with Details and Text List with Details view settings that allow you to control how dark the background video or background image is

• New Background Video and Stretch Background Video options are available in the Wheel with Details and Text List With Details view settings

• Performance on lower-end devices (such as the Nvidia Shield) is much improved during navigation

This release is of course the videos release. Currently in beta 1, only background videos are supported, and only in the Wheel with Details and Text List with Details games views. Further options and views surrounding the videos are coming, of course. This beta should be perfectly usable with gameplay videos in your games lists, assuming you like the background videos approach.

We do need as much testing on this as possible, as obviously adding videos is a major change that will need a lot of testing. Also note that you can now using the latest beta (12.6-beta-1) of the desktop app to export videos from your desktop collection, or you can download them from EmuMovies on your device.

Let me know how everything goes. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

• Support for gameplay videos has been added! They can be downloaded from EmuMovies via the Download Missing Media option or exported from your desktop collection.

• A new option to enable hardware decoding for VLC video playback is available in the Options screen; however, some devices have stability issues with it, so you may need to turn it back off if you experience crashes

• A new Background Fade option is available in the Wheel with Details and Text List with Details view settings that allow you to control how dark the background video or background image is

• New Background Video and Stretch Background Video options are available in the Wheel with Details and Text List With Details view settings

• Performance on lower-end devices (such as the Nvidia Shield) is much improved during navigation

This release is of course the videos release. Currently in beta 1, only background videos are supported, and only in the Wheel with Details and Text List with Details games views. Further options and views surrounding the videos are coming, of course. This beta should be perfectly usable with gameplay videos in your games lists, assuming you like the background videos approach.

We do need as much testing on this as possible, as obviously adding videos is a major change that will need a lot of testing. Also note that you can now using the latest beta (12.6-beta-1) of the desktop app to export videos from your desktop collection, or you can download them from EmuMovies on your device.

Just updated and tried the video download function, ,y EmuMovies account conect and the log says it finished downloading medie, but no movies nor movies folder its created. Where should this files must appear?, what would be the name of the folder?. Im using a custom directory inside my SD in Android/data/unbroken_software_app_directory/files/LaunchBox and image download its working fine so its not a permission problem

thanks

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Working perfectly for me on my Galaxy Z Fold 3. Obviously, this is a high-end phone, so probably not helpful to a lot of folks trying to run this on less powerful hardware - but loving the update so far. It's fast and snappy. Very interested to see other ways to display the video snaps in the future. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nabizzles said:

Working perfectly for me on my Galaxy Z Fold 3. Obviously, this is a high-end phone, so probably not helpful to a lot of folks trying to run this on less powerful hardware - but loving the update so far. It's fast and snappy. Very interested to see other ways to display te video snaps in the future. 

Hey @Nabizzles

How are you handling the space issue since the fold does not have sd card support? I am waiting for my fold to arrive but am concerned about space. I did order the 512gb version for this reason.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Vader said:

Hey @Nabizzles

How are you handling the space issue since the fold does not have sd card support? I am waiting for my fold to arrive but am concerned about space. I did order the 512gb version for this reason.

Thanks

You've got to curate your game collections. I do have a full 2003 Mame set on the device, but I just deleted the CHDs for games I'd never play. The close to 4:3 open screen on the device is just a joy to use for emulation and I absolutely love the phone. Totally needs MicroSD card support. I need to whittle down my ScummVM and MS-DOS collections on my phone, though. That's really difficult for me to do for some reason. Love all those games. (and can't wait for Launchbox Support for them ;) ).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rubenjavier said:

Just updated and tried the video download function, ,y EmuMovies account conect and the log says it finished downloading medie, but no movies nor movies folder its created. Where should this files must appear?, what would be the name of the folder?. Im using a custom directory inside my SD in Android/data/unbroken_software_app_directory/files/LaunchBox and image download its working fine so its not a permission problem

thanks

Are you sure you enabled video downloads? I don't think other people are having any issues. They should show up under LaunchBox\Videos\Platform Name.

10 hours ago, bundangdon said:

@Jason Carr Great work as always and thanks a lot for this latest update! I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but will AetherSX2 (PS2 emulator) be added in there anytime soon? 

I do plan to add it here soon. :)

• Thanks 1

yeah, pretty sure, it didnt allowme to download until I configured my Emumovies account, the test connection with Emumovies was ok, and the app even looks like its downloading, but nothing shows up in the LaunchBox folder,  and no videos are played as result. The logs actualy says it finished downloading the media, but the xml shows the boolean for video downloaded as false.

Im thinking that maybe its something  with my folder location (inside the Android/data/appfolder/files ), but the images do downloaded correctly (with the stable version)

I tryed to export n64 game to get the video, but the file isn't played, i only see the brackground image. I use the Wheel with details view (video enabled). I tryed to use the hardware decoding, no chance. My video are m4v and mp4 file and it can be played by the phone. I have a galaxy s20 FE, launchbox on sd card.

Do you have a idea? 
For now, i don't want to use emumovie to download again the video as i have done a lot of personnal recording when it was not found.

I found the problem, in the xml file for the platforms on android, for each games, i have this line;
<AndroidVideoPath />

The video was not in the path, so the correct is;
<AndroidVideoPath>Videos/Nintendo 64/007_ The World Is Not Enough.m4v</AndroidVideoPath>

It is only me that the path was not created by desktop launchbox app when i export it?

EDIT;

I've done a new export from 12.6. The line created in xml file is;
<AndroidGameplayScreenshotPath>Videos/Nintendo 64/1080º Snowboarding.m4v</AndroidGameplayScreenshotPath>

For now, i changed the "AndroidGameplayScreenshotPath" for "AndroidVideoPath" with note pad++. But that's mean that the screenshot was not in the xml file.
The orginal code;

<MaxPlayers>4</MaxPlayers>
    <VideoUrl>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9Pz6IzBgw</VideoUrl>
    <AndroidBoxFrontThumbPath>Images/Nintendo 64/Box - Front - Thumb/007_ The World Is Not Enough-01.jpg</AndroidBoxFrontThumbPath>
    <AndroidBoxFrontFullPath>Images/Nintendo 64/Box - Front - Full/007_ The World Is Not Enough-01.jpg</AndroidBoxFrontFullPath>
    <AndroidClearLogoThumbPath>Images/Nintendo 64/Clear Logo - Thumb/007_ The World Is Not Enough-01.png</AndroidClearLogoThumbPath>
    <AndroidClearLogoFullPath>Images/Nintendo 64/Clear Logo - Full/007_ The World Is Not Enough-01.png</AndroidClearLogoFullPath>
    <AndroidBackgroundPath>Images/Nintendo 64/Background/007_ The World Is Not Enough-02.jpg</AndroidBackgroundPath>
    <AndroidGameplayScreenshotPath>Videos/Nintendo 64/007_ The World Is Not Enough.m4v</AndroidGameplayScreenshotPath>
  </Game>

Edited by thewhite