LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

9 hours ago, TechBoi said:

Can you show me a screenshot of Nintendo Entertainment System specifically titles Kid Icarus, Kung-fu, and Smash T. V.? Smash doesn't retain the Original box art font like all other roms do and then Kid Icarus and Kung-fu will not change from Asian to English Title name font no matter how I edit the title naming scheme. 

Screenshot_20211026-200145.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-200159.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-200205.jpg

My Kung Fu has the correct clear logo.

20211027_135036.thumb.jpg.54d18e275edf402419c0f28769570358.jpg

My Kid Icarus also has the Japanese logo.

20211027_135050.thumb.jpg.fc6d7dc7ddbfc95c40a115150d487ca0.jpg

My Smash TV is the same as yours also,

20211027_135127.thumb.jpg.864d1bdff9819b7aab4d92eb2a04bc37.jpg

but that is simply because we do not have a clear logo for the NES version in our database, the below images are all we have.

image.thumb.png.a6049345427efd646cef1d7607601115.png

In the case of Kid Icarus, we have three clear logos on the database, one labelled (Europe), one labelled (Japan), and one more in English, but with no region attached. So my best guess, as we dont have a logo specifically for (USA), or (North America) a random one is chosen.

As for Kung Fu, we have two clear logos for that in our database,

image.thumb.png.f0964f2d1a6cda06ac125aa797b463ff.png

The Japanese one is labelled (japan), while the English one has no region attached again, so again i'm gonna assume as there is no (USA), or (North America) logo's a random one is downloaded.  

10 hours ago, TechBoi said:

Can you show me a screenshot of Nintendo Entertainment System specifically titles Kid Icarus, Kung-fu, and Smash T. V.? Smash doesn't retain the Original box art font like all other roms do and then Kid Icarus and Kung-fu will not change from Asian to English Title name font no matter how I edit the title naming scheme. 

Screenshot_20211026-200145.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-200159.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-200205.jpg

Also it should be noted that you said box art was incorrect, well going on your images that isn't true, it's the clear logo's that were incorrect, so any previous help you received may of been wrong as people would of been looking at the box art, not the clear logo.

43 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

but that is simply because we do not have a clear logo for the NES version in our database, the below images are all we have.

In the case of Kid Icarus, we have three clear logos on the database, one labelled (Europe), one labelled (Japan), and one more in English, but with no region attached. So my best guess, as we dont have a logo specifically for (USA), or (North America) a random one is chosen.

The Japanese one is labelled (japan), while the English one has no region attached again, so again i'm gonna assume as there is no (USA), or (North America) logo's a random one is downloaded.  

OK well those were just a few examples from NES. Sega Master System has a ton of titles with this issue. 

41 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Also it should be noted that you said box art was incorrect, well going on your images that isn't true, it's the clear logo's that were incorrect, so any previous help you received may of been wrong as people would of been looking at the box art, not the clear logo.

lol look you seem to rather want to pass the buck on other things causing the issue at hand here rather than admit to the issue being yours. I'm bringing examples and facts to you guys and all I hear are excuses how it's not your issue when it obviously is. I don't know when or where I stated it was a cover art issue or maybe it was both but yes there is a title issue and we can move on to Sega Master System so you can see how jacked this one is too? No other FE or scraper has these issues and for a paid software I'd expect a better experience than this. I've given examples where it's obviously effecting both scenarios.

7 minutes ago, TechBoi said:

OK well those were just a few examples from NES. Sega Master System has a ton of titles with this issue. 

The thing is i dont think it is a "issue" per se, its just a lack of images, or poorly named images in our database. That database is completely user supported by the community, so if you feel that some specific images are missing then you are of course free to add them to the database. At the end of the day we cant scrape images we dont have in our database, or if a image is named incorrectly.

51 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Also it should be noted that as a matter of fact my 1st post about this was on October 10th and here's a snapshot of my post talking about exactly what I have been saying all along and nothing about the cover art being an issue. 😂 

Screenshot_20211027-070033_Brave.jpg

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The thing is i dont think it is a "issue" per se, its just a lack of images, or poorly named images in our database. That database is completely user supported by the community, so if you feel that some specific images are missing then you are of course free to add them to the database. At the end of the day we cant scrape images we dont have in our database, or if a image is named incorrectly.

OMG dude it's a paid service for the full version. It's an issue with YOUR service you recognize it no other platform has this issue make an effort to fix it lol all I'm saying. Instead you'd rather make piss poor excuses. 🤦‍♂️ 

11 hours ago, TechBoi said:

Smash doesn't retain the Original box art font like all other roms do and then Kid Icarus and Kung-fu will not change from Asian to English Title name

"box art font" being the part i was referring to (and font possibly being a typo of front), when you say box art, i assumed you meant box art, which looked just fine.

7 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It's broken in a way that even if you change the title name to reflect it the "correct" way the scrapper still doesn't fix it example "Kid Icarus (USA)" it will still be a Japanese title text after deleting and re scrapping rom folder content. 

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

"box art font" being the part i was referring to (and font possibly being a typo of front), when you say box art, i assumed you meant box art, which looked just fine.

Its stated here exactly like I wrote it. All roms font look and retain a font similar to original box art fonts and Smash was the only one in Just the NES set of roms that I found this way doesn't mean other rom sets aren't doing the same thing. 

@TechBoi, @neil9000 is just trying to help. This isn't "his" problem, as he doesn't even work for us. He's just a volunteer moderator here on the forums. We're just trying to get to the bottom of all of this.

I still can't explain why you seem to be getting different results than I do in my testing. We're not trying to cop out of any of this, but I can't fix something if I don't know what's causing it. Trust me, I'd really like to solve this for you. I took a look at the file names you sent me and they appear to be similar or the same to the ones that I'm using, so once again I'm baffled.

The scraper isn't going to be perfect, but for me it's a lot closer to perfect than what you're seeing. I'll do some further testing to see if I can identify why you might be seeing these issues, but as of yet I haven't been able to figure out why we're seeing different results.

• Like 1

Isn't it safe to assume that all this will eventually resolve as LaunchBox for Android matures? Especially when the community can add to the database.

This is still "being developed"; No reason to assume every little detail is going to be 100% just yet.

The ability to select which emulator I need to run the game with at the selection wheel is why I am committed to Launchbox Android at this point.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neil9000 said:

@Jason Carr this is happening to @neil9000 also as seen in his post I quoted. To answer your question of which device I'm using it's Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3. Neil9000 can you confirm how many Japanese titles you get in the Sega Master System ROM Set? This one has many Japanese titles for me vs other system rom sets.

Edited by TechBoi

11 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Where is this community database located and how do we add to it? I don't mind helping where I can and I apologize for my frustrations with this earlier. Not trying to be a dick I just let my frustrations get the best of me and for that I apologize. 🤜🏽🤛🏽🏽

• Like 1

@TechBoi you might be getting a lot of Japanese games because no-into romsets have games from different regions i.e. Japan, Europe, etc. Most games from these other regions are just duplicates of North American games, but some games are exclusive to just a particular region. It is recommended that you clean your romsets to remove non-North American region duplicates so that only North American region games are left. Once this is done, you can then add back any region-specific games you might want in your collection. This should eliminate a lot of the Japanese games.

I agree with @neil9000 that there seems to be an issue with the file naming convention used on some of the wheel images, which is probably causing Japan wheel logos to display. After looking closer into both the games you mentioned, Kung Fu and Kid Icarus, I noticed that both have North American wheel images available but the file names for these wheels lack a region name i.e. (North America).  Since those images lack the region designation, this could be why those images are not downloading and displaying properly. Changing the rom file name  won't fix this either, because I believe that the scraper looks for the files for the region you specify. I don't know if something can be done about this, but I think that in the meantime, the easiest solution is to download those wheels that are incorrect and manually copy them to the wheel folder. 

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Vader

31 minutes ago, Vader said:

@TechBoi you might be getting a lot of Japanese games because no-into romsets have games from different regions i.e. Japan, Europe, etc. Most games from these other regions are just duplicates of North American games, but some games are exclusive to just a particular region. It is recommended that you clean your romsets to remove non-North American region duplicates so that only North American region games are left. Once this is done, you can then add back any region-specific games you might want in your collection. This should eliminate a lot of the Japanese games.

I agree with @neil9000 that there seems to be an issue with the file naming convention used on some of the wheel images, which is probably causing Japan wheel logos to display. After looking closer into both the games you mentioned, Kung Fu and Kid Icarus, I noticed that both have North American wheel images available but the file names for these wheels lack a region name i.e. (North America).  Since those images lack the region designation, this could be why those images are not downloading and displaying properly. Changing the rom file name  won't fix this either, because I believe that the scraper looks for the files for the region you specify. I don't know if something can be done about this, but I think that in the meantime, the easiest solution is to download those wheels that are incorrect and manually copy them to the wheel folder. 

Just my 2 cents

Thanks and this is what we did but all except rename them to only show as (USA) only marked titles but like you said in the 2nd half of your post even renaming them doesn't fix this issue at hand.

Edited by TechBoi

@TechBoi, Like @neil9000 said, the games datebase is a community effort, so not everything is going to be perfect, nor should we expect it to be. We have to take it for what it is, and if you want to upload a wheel with the correct file name to fix an issue, than I guess you can do so. 

@Jason Carr is doing an awesome job and I tip my hat off to him for all he has done on this project. Keep it up, Jason!