LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

14 minutes ago, lessthanzero33 said:

I have the full version but i am running into an issue where i can import Sammy Atomiswave games but after launchbox restarts, i don't see the banner for Atomiswave. i have uninstalled and reinstalled but the same error occurs. I have managed to import MAME, NES, SNES and NeoGeo so far.

There is no banner for that system as yet i believe is it there just without the artwork?

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

There is no banner for that system as yet i believe is it there just without the artwork?

There is a banner for it, i saw the banner when i first imported but instead of Sammy Atomiswave games being imported, the showed up as MAMe Roms instead so i uninstalled and reinstalled and now Atomiswave no longer shows

21 hours ago, lessthanzero33 said:

I have the full version but i am running into an issue where i can import Sammy Atomiswave games but after launchbox restarts, i don't see the banner for Atomiswave. i have uninstalled and reinstalled but the same error occurs. I have managed to import MAME, NES, SNES and NeoGeo so far.

Okay, good to know. I'll look into it.

Just to update my earlier issue. I also cannot import Sega Dreamcast as well. It will see the games but after importing, dreamcast does not show. Can i try the beta version to see if there is a change?, Atomiswave, Naomi and Dreamcast work great with stand alone retroarch(which i am using as my backend for Launchbox).

On 9/18/2021 at 11:46 AM, Jason Carr said:

Okay, good to know. I'll look into it.

Thank you for the returning of Launchbox Android..I have Ben more then satisfied whit the Pc version( it as grown to be what I was seeking in a front end) and decided to try the android versions 

i have installed Launchbox on a fire tablet 10 and love what I see( and what I do not see yet hopefully)

first ..it is sleek and simple( to simple so far) 

it is responsive and work really well( for the most part) 

i ran into some problems whit sd card authority for transferring but overcame the problem without to much of a fuss

if I may make these suggestions ( I am sure your team is already on most of these functionality implementation)

More options: i feel like there is much customization that could be done..

there is no way to had platforms wen they are not recognized even if retroarch Suport them(that I know of)

same for the banners and team image( much more could be done)

i noticed that when I import from pc to Launchbox android( using the new import to android functionality) that it doesn’t seem to take into consideration merged rom pack for mame/Arcade 

Keep up the good work 

I love you guys

Edited by wiseHowl
  • Like 1

Sorry for the delay here, guys. I've had my head down in the desktop app for a bit, but I'm headed back to Android development next week, back to working on the next major release.

On 9/19/2021 at 9:17 AM, lessthanzero33 said:

Just to update my earlier issue. I also cannot import Sega Dreamcast as well. It will see the games but after importing, dreamcast does not show. Can i try the beta version to see if there is a change?, Atomiswave, Naomi and Dreamcast work great with stand alone retroarch(which i am using as my backend for Launchbox).

No betas have been released since the last official release (largely because I'm working on some larger features). I'll look into Dreamcast here soon to see if I can replicate any issues.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:55 PM, codetvirus said:

Hi. Does anybody knows how to add Yaba Sanshiro 2 Pro as a custom emulator? Thanks.

I'll add that to my list of emulators to look into. That might be one of those problematic emulators though that doesn't properly work with frontends, if my shaky memory is correct. Regardless, I'll check to confirm.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:52 AM, adam1972 said:

How about removing duplicates?  I reimported because it was missing some games, I recalled seeing a duplicate option in the import... Now several games have duplicates (some don't)... Is there a way to remove them?

You can delete games, yes. There's no automatic duplicate scanning currently, though.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:49 PM, wiseHowl said:

i ran into some problems whit sd card authority for transferring but overcame the problem without to much of a fuss

How did you overcome them?

On 9/21/2021 at 2:49 PM, wiseHowl said:

there is no way to had platforms wen they are not recognized even if retroarch Suport them(that I know of)

same for the banners and team image( much more could be done)

i noticed that when I import from pc to Launchbox android( using the new import to android functionality) that it doesn’t seem to take into consideration merged rom pack for mame/Arcade 

Thanks, yup, all that is on the list here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Jason Carr

I have been working on importing mame roms via the app and noticed some weird things with the import. In my experiment, I have been trying to import two merged roms, Puckman and Mrs. Pac-man, so they show up as pac-man and Mrs. Pac-Man along with their clones. When I tried to import with the full mame romset not selected, Mrs. Pac-man imports fine and Puckman is imported as Puckman, not pac-man also only these two items are imported. Unfortunately, no clones are imported into the system, even though import clones is selected. If I select the full mame romset item, Puckman is imported as pac-man and Mrs. Pac-man is not imported, at all.  Also, clones are now imported.  I also notice that even though I am only importing two games, selecting full mame romset will cause the system to download almost all the game art, instead of just for the two games that I am importing.  Finally, If I deselect skip hacks or bootlegs (not sure which one is causing this), Mrs. Pac-man will show up (with clones), but pac-man will show up as puckman. The other item (hacks or bootlegs) will cause Mrs. Pac-man to import as Mrs. Pac-man II.  I have looked into the roms themselves and know that Ms. Pac-Man is a parent rom and Pac-man is a clone of puck-man. However, with North America set as the region to prioritize, both games should import properly. 

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if it's an issue with the system. Can you please check into this?

Thanks

Vader

12 minutes ago, Vader said:

I also notice that even though I am only importing two games, selecting full mame romset will cause the system to download almost all the game art, instead of just for the two games that I am importing.

That is by design, you are using the "fullset importer" that requires you to have a fullset to import, as the name suggests. If you only want to import a couple of roms just use the standard rom importer, although i'm not sure how that works with clones. If you only want to pick out roms from a set you should use "Non-Merged" sets, in that set each rom is a working game and doesnt rely on other game zips to run.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:10 AM, neil9000 said:

That is by design, you are using the "fullset importer" that requires you to have a fullset to import, as the name suggests. If you only want to import a couple of roms just use the standard rom importer, although i'm not sure how that works with clones. If you only want to pick out roms from a set you should use "Non-Merged" sets, in that set each rom is a working game and doesnt rely on other game zips to run.

Hello @neil9000

I kind of figured that is what the system is doing. However the issue still remains that clones are not recognized when trying to import single games unless the full romset option is selected.  Hopefully this can be fixed so that individual games can be imported with their clones. 

On 9/27/2021 at 6:58 AM, Vader said:

Hey @Jason Carr

I have been working on importing mame roms via the app and noticed some weird things with the import. In my experiment, I have been trying to import two merged roms, Puckman and Mrs. Pac-man, so they show up as pac-man and Mrs. Pac-Man along with their clones. When I tried to import with the full mame romset not selected, Mrs. Pac-man imports fine and Puckman is imported as Puckman, not pac-man also only these two items are imported. Unfortunately, no clones are imported into the system, even though import clones is selected. If I select the full mame romset item, Puckman is imported as pac-man and Mrs. Pac-man is not imported, at all.  Also, clones are now imported.  I also notice that even though I am only importing two games, selecting full mame romset will cause the system to download almost all the game art, instead of just for the two games that I am importing.  Finally, If I deselect skip hacks or bootlegs (not sure which one is causing this), Mrs. Pac-man will show up (with clones), but pac-man will show up as puckman. The other item (hacks or bootlegs) will cause Mrs. Pac-man to import as Mrs. Pac-man II.  I have looked into the roms themselves and know that Ms. Pac-Man is a parent rom and Pac-man is a clone of puck-man. However, with North America set as the region to prioritize, both games should import properly. 

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if it's an issue with the system. Can you please check into this?

Thanks

Vader

@Vader We've been back and forth with the MAME metadata importer many times, and in theory, none of it has changed in years, so there really shouldn't be anything wrong with it (unless an Android-specific bug was introduced back when it was based on the desktop code). There are usually good reasons for the way things are structured, even when things appear to be anomalies. That said, the full MAME ROM set options are not relevant at all if you don't provide a full set.

I'm having trouble following all of the above, so if you still want to troubleshoot specific issues with it, let's take it one thing at a time, and I can look into reasons or fixes for that specific issue.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:28 AM, Nabizzles said:

My MAME 2003 core won't work on my sideloaded 64 bit version of retroarch. I have tested all my roms in Retroarch and they are working. But every time I launch a ROM through Launchbox, retroarch freezes and needs to be forced closed.

There is a thread here on this topic, and it looks like at least one person is successfully running MAME 2003 Plus without any issues:

So most likely, if you're running into issues, the problem is either with Retroarch or the ROM set.

23 hours ago, Vader said:

Hello @neil9000

I kind of figured that is what the system is doing. However the issue still remains that clones are not recognized when trying to import single games unless the full romset option is selected.  Hopefully this can be fixed so that individual games can be imported with their clones. 

I see. The problem with this is that we have zero visibility in the importer as to whether the ROMs that you have contain those clones, so we only import the ROMs that we see. Of course if you check the box to import a full MAME set, it will import all of the clones. LaunchBox on the desktop works the same way.

I suppose in the future we could add an option to specify what type of set that you have, but I'm not sure what further types of metadata we would need for that, etc.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Vader We've been back and forth with the MAME metadata importer many times, and in theory, none of it has changed in years, so there really shouldn't be anything wrong with it (unless an Android-specific bug was introduced back when it was based on the desktop code). There are usually good reasons for the way things are structured, even when things appear to be anomalies.I That said, the full MAME ROM set options are not relevant at all if you don't provide a full set.

I'm having trouble following all of the above, so if you still want to troubleshoot specific issues with it, let's take it one thing at a time, and I can look into reasons or fixes for that specific issue.

@Jason Carr Ok, let me try and make it less confusing. 😀 I am using the app exclusively to import mame roms. I have been noticing that If I  do not select the full mame rom set option. Clones will not import. For example. I have two merged mame roms puckman.zip and mspacman.zip Both roms have clones within the .zip file. If I try to import both of these without selecting the full mame romset option, only the main game imports with no clones. If I select full mame romset, then the clones will import.  Hopefully this makes more sence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vader said:

@Jason Carr Ok, let me try and make it less confusing. 😀 I am using the app exclusively to import mame roms. I have been noticing that If I  do not select the full mame rom set option. Clones will not import. For example. I have two merged mame roms puckman.zip and mspacman.zip Both roms have clones within the .zip file. If I try to import both of these without selecting the full mame romset option, only the main game imports with no clones. If I select full mame romset, then the clones will import.  Hopefully this makes more sence.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think we're playing forum tag lol. Check my response just above.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

There is a thread here on this topic, and it looks like at least one person is successfully running MAME 2003 Plus without any issues:

So most likely, if you're running into issues, the problem is either with Retroarch or the ROM set.

Thank you. I read the thread, deleted my arcade platform, reimported and unchecked the "This is a Fullset ROM" (even though it is one and fully verified by CLRMAMEPro) - but now it's working swimmingly. Thank you!

Killer Instinct 2 running at full speed on my Galaxy Fold 3 while being launched through Launchbox is freaking awesome. 

Now we just need the ability to map unmatched games to their proper records and add in missing Emulators like ScummVM, MagicDOSBox, IrataJaguar, and ResidualVM and this thing will be my "go-to" frontend on Android as it is for my PC build! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Nabizzles said:

Thank you. I read the thread, deleted my arcade platform, reimported and unchecked the "This is a Fullset ROM" (even though it is one and fully verified by CLRMAMEPro) - but now it's working swimmingly. Thank you!

Killer Instinct 2 running at full speed on my Galaxy Fold 3 while being launched through Launchbox is freaking awesome. 

Now we just need the ability to map unmatched games to their proper records and add in missing Emulators like ScummVM, MagicDOSBox, IrataJaguar, and ResidualVM and this thing will be my "go-to" frontend on Android as it is for my PC build! Thanks!

Editing/matching games is coming soon. I'll also add those emulators to the list. :)