LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

3 hours ago, Ratbagz said:

This is true. It's one of the reasons I didn't upgrade my launch box licence as I'm concerned they haven't been quick enough to keep up with new developments. I don't really blame the launch box team, Android is a very fragmented system to work with and keep up with.

Also it should be noted that only Jason as far as i am aware works on the Android version. I wouldn't also say that updates are slow either, it's just what one person can reasonably do while also working on the Windows version, running the business, maintaining the websites, etc, it's not a giant company, there are only two devs working on everything.

36 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Also it should be noted that only Jason as far as i am aware works on the Android version. I wouldn't also say that updates are slow either, it's just what one person can reasonably do while also working on the Windows version, running the business, maintaining the websites, etc, it's not a giant company, there are only two devs working on everything.

Yeah that's what I was getting at when I said I can't blame them as there are so many issues surrounding the fragmented Android scene. It's hard to keep up and Google seem hell-bent on making things as difficult as possible with their own updates.

When I started talking about the Scoped Storage problem and how it needs to be fixed İ meant to notify the developers of launchbox that there is a fix and someone already did it. On your statement here on the site you mentioned that this problem occur because of Google and it maybe impossible to get solved unless Google change it police about storage. The thing is all emulators will eventually update and use the new storage method . Here launch box and other Android front end apps will be useless . Again all İ meant is to notify about the fix. 

P.S. i am not a native speaker so don't comment on my writing.

Edited by Goodmango

yes. İt was Jason the one i meant.his replied to someone who asked about a fix for mupen64.İ think it is here https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/62907-m64-plus-fz-pro-mupen64-fz-pro/?do=findComment&comment=390044

15 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yes, the fragmented ecosystem on Android is an absolute mess, especially right now with Google hell-bent on breaking as much as possible in the name of "security". This was the original reason why left the Android platform half a year ago (or one of the biggest ones). That said, we are committed to developing and improving it going forward, even if Google continues to cause problems.

We may not be able to always make LaunchBox for Android work with every single emulator all of the time (after all, none of the frontends on Android can), but we will do our best. Remember that RetroArch is a saving grace here; it generally works great for most platforms, and there are no issues with it, so if all else fails, use RetroArch (at least in the mean time while we navigate the muddy waters that Google has created).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Just_a_Guy said:

Quick question, just started to try and use Launchbox on an old Shield 500gb version. 

It says it's having trouble importing the license key.  Is this a known issue I missed that was addressed elsewhere?

I downloaded the latest Android version.

Thanks!

Open the email on your device, click the license attachment, Android will ask what program do you want to open the file with, choose Launchbox, and "just once".

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Open the email on your device, click the license attachment, Android will ask what program do you want to open the file with, choose Launchbox, and "just once".

I was having trouble getting navigating to a browser to login to my email.  However, I'll check into maybe launching the file with "other" in the file manager and report back.

24 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

So both ways, launchbox doesn't show up as an application to use to open the xml license attachment.  Any other ideas?

5 minutes ago, Just_a_Guy said:

So both ways, launchbox doesn't show up as an application to use to open the xml license attachment.  Any other ideas?

You can always manually place the License.xml file into the LaunchBox folder, then restart the app.

24 minutes ago, faeran said:

You can always manually place the License.xml file into the LaunchBox folder, then restart the app.

I did try that first (I thought I did at least).  I'll double check.  Do you know the location of Launchbox off the top of your head as a sanity check?

17 minutes ago, Just_a_Guy said:

I did try that first (I thought I did at least).  I'll double check.  Do you know the location of Launchbox off the top of your head as a sanity check?

By default, should be in the root of your internal storage.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yes the Android version is seperate to the Windows version and needs it's own license.

LaunchBox for Android - Purchase a License (launchbox-app.com)

Ok, wish I had known that since I bought the license specifically for the shield and didn't have a clue it was a separate license for android.  Are there any "bundles" or upgrades for those who already have a windows license that you're aware of?

Thanks again for your help figuring out I bought a Caveat Emptor license initially.  

3 minutes ago, Just_a_Guy said:

Ok, wish I had known that since I bought the license specifically for the shield and didn't have a clue it was a separate license for android.  Are there any "bundles" or upgrades for those who already have a windows license that you're aware of?

Thanks again for your help figuring out I bought a Caveat Emptor license initially.  

If you bought the wrong License by mistake i'm sure you could get a refund on what you have and then re-purchase the correct license. Send a email to support@unbrokensoftware.com and explain the situation, they should be able to help you out.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If you bought the wrong License by mistake i'm sure you could get a refund on what you have and then re-purchase the correct license. Send a email to support@unbrokensoftware.com and explain the situation, they should be able to help you out.

Thanks for that.  But I think from what I read, maybe it's worth the extra money to support them over both platforms.  Who knows, maybe this will kickstart my dream of finally creating that MAME cabinet!!!