LaunchBox Community Forums

What are people using for arcade games on Android?

dmaker

I've never really dug too deeply into this as Launchbox wasn't really an option on Android. Now with the new release, I can run Launchbox on Nvidia Shield. YAY!!

Now I want to get around to setting everything up the way I want it to be. What do people here generally use for arcade games on Android? I installed Mame4droid a long time ago, but never got it working. Are there better options?

Thank you.

39 minutes ago, dmaker said:

I've never really dug too deeply into this as Launchbox wasn't really an option on Android. Now with the new release, I can run Launchbox on Nvidia Shield. YAY!!

Now I want to get around to setting everything up the way I want it to be. What do people here generally use for arcade games on Android? I installed Mame4droid a long time ago, but never got it working. Are there better options?

Thank you.

I would recommend the MAME arcade core in Retroarch. It's basically up to date MAME. I generally don't like any of the other options because they use really out of date versions of MAME and thus really out of date ROM sets.

• Thanks 1

I've tended to avoid Retroarch through the years due to it's reputation for being complicated to setup. Admittedly, I have not actually tried it. 

For that core, what version of roms, or romset does it use? I have a .220 romset

Thank you.

Edited by dmaker

I must be doing something wrong. I installed Retroarch Plus, copied some roms over,etc. I loaded the mame core with no year (mamearcade_libreto_android.so) and selected the current core for mame in retroarch. 

When I select a game in Launchbox, it just crashes back to Android TV desktop.

8 hours ago, dmaker said:

I must be doing something wrong. I installed Retroarch Plus, copied some roms over,etc. I loaded the mame core with no year (mamearcade_libreto_android.so) and selected the current core for mame in retroarch. 

When I select a game in Launchbox, it just crashes back to Android TV desktop.

What MAME romset have you got ?

If you are trying to use roms from MAME4DROID they will not work, you need latest MAME set (or a recent one at least) to work on the MAME core.

2 minutes ago, dmaker said:

My romset is 220

Which is a little awkward, its not a mame 2003 romset, but its also not a current romset (its over a year old, i would guess that "most" games would work, but you may have issues with some if using the wrong version of the emulator, which you will be if using retroarch.

1 hour ago, S_i_c_a_r_i_o said:

It would be nice to get this to work I have so many MAME roms but nothing works 

Then your roms are the wrong version for the emulator. MAME is very easy to use, but you have to match your romset version to the same emulator version you can not pick random roms from around the internet from all different romset versions and expect them to work, thats just not the way MAME works i'm afraid. If you want to make sure that they work, get the latest MAME romset (currently 0.235) and use the core in Retroarch simply called MAME (this is always current, but may still be 0.234 as 0.235 is very new still). Or you can get the  specific MAME 2003 romset and use the MAME 2003 core in Retroarch.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Which is a little awkward, its not a mame 2003 romset, but its also not a current romset (its over a year old, i would guess that "most" games would work, but you may have issues with some if using the wrong version of the emulator, which you will be if using retroarch.

Try MAME2012 core for your set

23 minutes ago, zugswang said:

Try MAME2012 core for your set

That would likely mean that no Capcom or NeoGeo games would work im afraid, all those roms have changed since 2012, this is why versions matter. Capcom roms had the qsound file changed at around version 0.184 if i recall correctly, so if your romset is from after 0.184 then you will HAVE to use a emulator version that was released after that change (early 2017 if i recall) so those roms will no longer work with any version of the emulator prior to that as the files in the zip are now different, and the emulator itself knows EXACTLY what files should be in the zip, if those differ it will not load the rom. Essentially if using a romset from 0.184 or after, then you cannot use any version of MAME from before that version, and 2012 is obviously much before early 2017.

I only seem to have 3 options for downloading cores for Mame, that I can see: 2003, 2003-Plus or Mame-Current.

I can't see where I can download a Mame 2012 core through Retroarch.

Edited by dmaker

7 minutes ago, dmaker said:

I'll give it another try once I have some 0.235 roms. 

If you do not have a pleasuredome account in order to get the latest set then i suggest getting the MAME 2003 reference set and use the mame 2003 plus core, it's easy to find that on the internet archive. Although it sounds like a old set its actually relatively new, its using the roms that were around in 2003, but updated so they are modern. 

I'm using Retroarch (the "normal" one you download from the Play Store, not sideloaded) with the "Current MAME" core (currently 0.232) with a curated subset of games from the current MAME rom set (now at 0.235).

Generally, it works fine on my Nvidia Shield TV.

Edited by Alumriel